Auto update/clean libraries how?
Hello

Are there any settings in XBMC Eden to enable this? So that the Movies / TV Shows / Music and Video Libraries are automatically updated ?

Or do I need to install some addon ?

Ideally if I add new content to my file server, it just automatically appears in the XBMC library, likewise if I delete content off the file server the item(s) are automatically removed from XBMC. Is this possible?

I've seen in the Settings - Video - Library - Update Library on Startup option but on a dedicated HTPC I would leave XBMC open all the time and just put the PC to S3 Sleep. So the XBMC application would not be closed / opened etc.

My current Windows Media Center / My Movies system does this but looking at moving to XBMC instead.

Thanks.

Yes make the leap it will blow your sock off lol there a setting in xbmc to scan on startup and can make so it scan in the background. There is also a delete once watch some cant remember off hand tho .

Also there a setting which rescan about every 3hour don't now I turn that on I just see a message rescan in .....

Be carefull cause if your remote drives aren't available this will wipe your library
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-06-14, 14:22)cw-kid Wrote: Hello

Are there any settings in XBMC Eden to enable this? So that the Movies / TV Shows / Music and Video Libraries are automatically updated ?

Or do I need to install some addon ?

Ideally if I add new content to my file server, it just automatically appears in the XBMC library, likewise if I delete content off the file server the item(s) are automatically removed from XBMC. Is this possible?

I've seen in the Settings - Video - Library - Update Library on Startup option but on a dedicated HTPC I would leave XBMC open all the time and just put the PC to S3 Sleep. So the XBMC application would not be closed / opened etc.

My current Windows Media Center / My Movies system does this but looking at moving to XBMC instead.

Thanks.

There's an addon which can be set to update the library every X minutes although I do not know if it works while the PC is in sleep mode. Although there is a "Clean on Update" setting that can be put in the advancedsettings.xml file I don't recommend it's use. If a network share or local drive is unavailable for some reason the XBMC clean operation will remove all the data associated with that drive. It's best to ensure all drives are active then manually clean the library.

Mythbuntu doesn't need viruses - we have Sudo
The xbmc auto updater addon will do what you are asking. You can set a timer or cron expression to auto update the library. There is also a "check paths" option when auto cleaning the library that makes sure all of your sources exist before attempting a clean. This resolves the issue of a non-connected network connection.

The only caveat is that the computer must be awake to perform these functions. If the computer is asleep there isn't any processing happening.
Does anyone know how to set the cron expression to update ever 5 minutes of the day? I have tried to figure out the code buttttt.. no luck..
Cron for every five minutes should be:

*/5 * * * *
(2013-07-28, 04:56)robweber Wrote: Cron for every five minutes should be:

*/5 * * * *

Hey robweber, thanks a bunch for the quick reply. and this great program.
Works like a charm on all 4 of my boxes..
Bit of a necropost, because I cannot figure out how to cron.

I'd like XBMC to autoupdate/clean music and vids daily around 3 am. Which cron value should I use?
Simple way to remember cron syntax is that you are dealing with 5 values minutes, hours, days of month, month of year, day of week - in that order. The wildcard value (*) basically means all values, so for 3am every day you'd want:

0 3 * * *

This is the top of the hour, 0 minute, on the 3rd hour of the day, and then the wildcards will trigger every day on every month.
Is there a reason why auto update of library isn't built into XBMC after all these years? Having to rely on third party authors for such a necessary feature is a little perplexing to me. If you leave XBMC open all day an addon is practically required if you want to scrape any new content. I use Watchdog, but what if the author stops supporting it or XBMC code changes something in the future? Seems it would be easier to just include the functionality inside XBMC settings and provide an on or off toggle.
I'm trying to get it to run every 30 minutes offset by 5 minutes (for example it would run at 8:05, 8:35, 9:05, 9:35, 10:05, 10:35, and so forth)

I tried this but it doesn't seem to work: 5/30 * * * *

Any ideas? Thanks.
(2014-06-07, 18:37)craigrs84 Wrote: I'm trying to get it to run every 30 minutes offset by 5 minutes (for example it would run at 8:05, 8:35, 9:05, 9:35, 10:05, 10:35, and so forth)

I tried this but it doesn't seem to work: 5/30 * * * *

Any ideas? Thanks.

5,35 * * * *
(2012-06-14, 15:03)Martijn Wrote: Be carefull cause if your remote drives aren't available this will wipe your library

Ugh, I had a roommate who's XBMC box also accessed my server as well as her own local drives. She hated having to clean her library so she rigged it to clean library EVERY TIME the library was updated. ...Did I mention this server runs Windows 7, is ALSO an XBMC box, also runs Steam for games and does not get CLOSE to 100% uptime? So half of her library was erased a few times while she blamed me and the devs while I'm like 'Yeah, I think this is WHY they didn't make it run automatically or even give it the easy option to do so...'
Since v13 this should be a little better. XBMC/Kodi should prevent removal during a clean if it thinks the whole source is not available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto update/clean libraries how?0