[RELEASE] MyPlex plugin
Brick 
Purpose
MyPlex is a platform for sharing media between Plex Media Servers. This is a third-party add-on, which uses public web services exposed by MyPlex. The developer of this add-on is not in any way affiliated with Plex or XBMC.
The goal of the project is to:
  • build an example python class for accessing MyPlex API (and remote Plex Media Servers API)
  • be able to play media in XBMC from a remote Plex server via MyPlex

Installation
  1. Download the latest version plugin.video.myplex-xbmc.zip
  2. Follow the instructions on How to install from zip

Source code
https://github.com/rickcrook/plugin.video.myplex-xbmc

Credits
to the developers on plexbmc addon
Zsolt Torok for his example code
XBMCdev for XBMC

v0.1.0 Release notes
Building on the last, I have focused on providing as much content from MyPlex as possible.
This is at the expense of cleaning up the presentation and video playing
This release comes with plenty more limitations and I am expecting many more issues as testing of this version has been limited.

Features (new items in bold since last release)
  • Navigate through your Playlists and TV
  • Provide the full filter ability of video lists (eg. Watched, Unwatched, OnDeck)
  • Play a TV show
  • Videos are showing limited metadata while playing
  • Log on to MyPlex with your username and password
  • Navigate through your Servers & Sections
  • Provide a list of videos from a section with videos
  • Play a video in XBMC

Limitations (new items in bold since last release)
  • MyPlex Queue and Recommendations items will not play
  • Pull any other media types (eg. Music, Pictures)
  • (Some lists will not display due to non-ascii characters) <- fixed in 0.1.1
  • Decorate menu items with meta-data (eg. fan-art, genre)
  • Add offset or change transcoding quality from PMS

v0.01 Release notes
This is an initial release with the minimal of functionality to prove the concept.

Features
  • Log on to MyPlex with your username and password
  • Navigate through your Servers & Sections
  • Provide a list of videos from a section with videos
  • Play a video in XBMC

Limitations
  • Pull any other media types (eg. TV Shows, MyPlex Queue, Watched)
  • Decorate menu items with meta-data (eg. fan-art, genre)MyPlex and Plex for the public API
  • Add offset or change transcoding quality from PMS
Hello, rickcrook!

I'm both glad and surprised that I'm the first one to comment on this thread.

I've been missing the ability to play Plex Media Server media at a remote location on XBMC and I see that this is a very good first step to it Smile I was able to remotely stream a movie with no issues, even with high bitrate peaks, the thing didn't even stop to buffer once!

I'm wondering if you will continue to develop the plugin? If so, and if you don't mind, here are my most-wanted-features in order:

- External subtitle support. As of now, subtitles work of course If playing a file with embedded subtitles. External ones are not loaded. I believe this implementation should take into account the PMS flags for prefered audio and subtitles streams so that it loads the correct one.
- The ability to play TV Shows (especially the On Deck feature/filter is quite handy).
- Resume feature. And 'write' to PMS each 10 or 15 seconds the current watched position so that resume works across devices.
- Fanart would be cool of course!

Hope I didn't scare you or anything Smile I really like the idea of being able to use myPlex on XBMC.
If you need any help with testing or anything, let me know.

Cheers!
Excellent, I look forward to giving it a try
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
rickcrook, you're my personal hero! Big Grin
Really, i've waited a long time for somebody to pick up that wonderful PleXBMC plugin and fix the recent bugs to make it useful again. Without success.

Let's be honest. XBMC is a great piece of mediacenter/player software if you only have one HTPC. But when it comes to sharing your library to multiple devices - you're out of luck (unless you go and set up a MySQL server).

So while PLEX has this great PMS/transcoding/sharing/watched-status-syncing thingy, it has a less than perfect player software. It works but it has minor problems which XBMC hasn't at all.

I'm really looking forward into this plugin!
It would be great to finally get the best of both worlds combined!

I must say I had never heard of plex until a few days ago when lifehacker did a review on it. I was fairly surprised and it met my streaming needs for my music library, so this add-on comes at perfect timing. So thank you.

A few things:
I can't get movies to play. The server resides in my own network. They will play 2-3 seconds and quit. I mostly have my blu ray rips, so that might be the problem. I tested plex on my ipad 3 and it worked without a hitch.
And, the poster images didn't show up for me. Are they suppose to?

Great job. I'm going to get my friends to install this so that we can watch tv at the same time while I'm over seas. Smile
I really hope this plugin gets developed because i am running a plex server to stream to my ios devices, but the plex frontend isn't really up to the standard of xbmc.

plexbmc has some limitations too that are annoying, if i select a view type for a season of tv shows it doesn't change all of my tv shows to the same view type (i've tried all 3 of the plexbmc skins and aeon mq3 with custom favourites set for my plex stuff) leaving me to have to change them all individually.

if there could be some way of rectifying this then that would be great as i have a large library and it would be tedious to say the least to change each one.

also if it were possible to play video channels like youtube without turning on transcoding that would be super cool too.

nice add on great to see it back, can you add the ability to see the music in PLEX please
I have an ATV2 and it shows the movies in PLEX but not music

Thanks
Good job getting this addon working. If you could get the other items on your list working it would be excellent. Getting netflix streaming to work would be an added bonus!
It's actually a great (and working !) proof of concept.
i'm kinda surprised that this thread only got 7 replies. I'm really hoping that you'll continue your work on this !
This is wonderful news! WIll try it today.

As pointed out by bigbadrabbit, take a look at PleXBMC features (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=92310) and see what you can do Smile

If this one turns out great, i'll definitely donate a couple of beers in form of paypal-transfer.. Wink
GREAT!!!! Looking forward to trying this out. the one thing I would like to see is below.

Resume feature. And 'write' to PMS each 10 or 15 seconds the current watched position so that resume works across devices. This way we could be watching something on xbmc and then resume in plex or another xbmc box.. Would be great!
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Can not get it to work. Successfully login to myplex, it finds my server and my folders but is not receiveing any files.
(2012-06-26, 17:19)w0_0t Wrote: Can not get it to work. Successfully login to myplex, it finds my server and my folders but is not receiveing any files.

Same here...
(2012-06-26, 17:19)w0_0t Wrote: Can not get it to work. Successfully login to myplex, it finds my server and my folders but is not receiveing any files.

Works great for my Movie sections. TV Shows are not yet supported. I login with my credentials and all my movies are accessible, albeit from a plain text listing. Looking forward to future developments!

p.s. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium on my 2011 Mac Mini with XBMC 12.0 Frodo alpha2 (http://mirrors.xbmc.org/snapshots/win32/).
(2012-06-25, 12:31)w0_0t Wrote: If this one turns out great, i'll definitely donate a couple of beers in form of paypal-transfer.. Wink
I second this. Don't known if others might be interested, but considering I already paid for plex for android, giving something for a great plex plugin for xbmc seems relevant Wink
as a media player, xbmc is still way more advanced than plex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] MyPlex plugin1