Linux Better understand XBMC Eden audio capabilities
Hello,

I am a bit lost when it comes to audio so I wanted to get some help to confirm my understanding of my current setup.
I got the offical XBMCBuntu Eden build installed on a ION2 nettop connected to a Yamaha RX-A2010 through HDMI.

I selected in the audio settings"DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver", my understanding is that all audio format are passed through to my receiver, except for DTS-HD and Dolby True HD that are down-mixed to LPCM.
Is that correct ?

If I don't select "DTS capable receiver" and "Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver", my understanding is that all formats are decoded and send as LPCM, and it does not change anything in regard to sound quality compare to the previous settings, correct ?

Thanks !

Almost. You are correct on the DTS and Dolby. Eden 11.0 does not include support for DTS-HD or TrueHD. For those you will have to grab a nightly and use the new AudioEngine.

With that, you can bitstream them both (send them directly as encoded data) to your receiver if you have the right GPU/hardware and your receiver supports them. If not, TrueHD will be losslessly decoded to PCM, DTS-HD will use the core DTS. There are currently no open-source decoders for DTS-HDMA.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
My understanding is that prior to the new audio engine you have to deselect DTS in order to get DTS-HD decoded to LPCM. Otherwise you get the DTS core. Is that not correct? I know when I set mine up that way my receiver indicates it's receiving multi-channel audio, but I don't know what quality I'm really getting at that point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Better understand XBMC Eden audio capabilities0