12 HDD's unRAID Server - n00b - help pls
Ive been reading through the forum for the past few weeks after learning about unraid from the xbmc forums. I am far from fully knowledgeable about it but I believe I have a basic understanding, enough that is to put my money where my mouth is ;D
The fact that my 2tb NAS is full is also a big reason.

I've decided to go for a 12 HDD Capable unRAID Server as 3 x 4-in-3 Drive Cages will keep things nice and neat and easily up-gradable if needs be. All it will be used for is storage for my media and running a few scripts - sick,sab,couch

Below is my proposed list of parts, please critique and scream at me if there rubbish or overkill!
CPU: AMD A6-3500
Motherboard: ASUS F1A75-V, FM1, ATX
RAM: 4GB-Kit Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9
Case: Antec Nine Hundred, ATX
Drive Cage(s): ICY BOX IB-554SK for 4 HDD's they are pretty expensive though, im considering Cooler Master 4 in 3 HDD Module Device
The ICY Box is 110 euro where as the Cooler Master is only 28 euro. Nearly 1/4 of the price.
Power Supply: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2, 430 Watt
SATA Expansion Card(s): I dont have a clue which one to get. Im ordering from here
Cables: Good Connections® SATA 6Gb/s Will these do?
Fans: I dont think I need anymore do I?

For HDD im going to get 4 first. 4 x 2tb. 1 for parity, 1 for cache, 2 for storage.

Ive read not to buy HDD together as they could be a bad batch but what about buying 2 at a time. Is that considered safe/unsafe. As I was going to get 2 EARS and 2 EARX. So im not on about a particular model, just wondering do ppl buy 2 drives at a time?

To complete the build (12 HDDs in place) I was told I would need 11 x SATA-II cables, a Molex To 2-Molex Power Connector Cables, 2 x Molex To 4-SATA Power Connector cables, 2 x 2 Port PCI-Express x1 Sata-II Cards and a 2 Port PCI Sata Card.
I am really lost about the cables,connectors and sata card. I dont know what ones to get. Any help in this area is greatly appreciated. Keeping in mind that if possible I want to order from here

Would these do:
Would this do for 2 Port PCI-Express x1 Sata-II Card
and this for 2 Port PCI Sata Card

Overall without the drive cages it comes to $632. Pricey enough already and that's without HDDs.
With the 3 ICY BOX cages it would add another $360 to it and it I got the Cooler Master it would add another $90. Is it worth it for hot-swapHuh

This being my first time building anything cpu related and Im a bit worried about the level of skill required to complete the build
so please bear with my with my n00b questions.

Again thanks for reading and all help is greatly appreciated

EDIT: Decided to go from 10 HDD to 12HDD
and 2x2gb ram for operating in dual-channel mode Ior is that nonsense)
So I hear I can run xbmc off my old commodore 64.

Pretty cool......pretty really cool
I would get a single 4GB stick of ram to save power but it otherwise looks good. I have that case for my full ten drive server. I like EARS for Unraid.

(2012-06-16, 19:07)poofyhairguy Wrote: I would get a single 4GB stick of ram to save power but it otherwise looks good. I have that case for my full ten drive server. I like EARS for Unraid.

I never heard about 2 sticks or RAM using up more power. Its something to keep in mind.

Does it make any difference to speed having one stick rather than 2?

So I hear I can run xbmc off my old commodore 64.

Pretty cool......pretty really cool
Yes but only for gamers (aka 2fps difference in a high end game). For a server it is better to save energy.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
12 HDD's unRAID Server - n00b - help pls0