1st HTPC, consults and advices pls !
Hi guys,
so here's the config that I had in mind, after that my questions follows:

first, the HT system already in possesion :
TV Sony BRAVIA 52" KDL-H920 (full led, full 3d, full HD, 400 mhz motion pro etc.)
HT Bose Lifestyle V25 5.1
Sony BDP-S590 (3d bd player)

then:
Open air case handmade (photos will follow, made in ALU 100% and Gripple.com suspensions, MoBo and all will levitate in AIR, suspended in fact, project with work in progress)
Asus Striker II Extreme (socket 775) (already have from older pc, so planned to keep)
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3 Ghz, 12 MB L2 cache, open multiplicator for OC) (choosed, to be bought soon)
Kingston 4x 2 GB DDR3 HyperX 1600 Mhz (already have)

Knowing that:

A. no BD/DVD ROM will be present in the HTPC (cause I have Sony BDP-S590 with 3d playback separately)
B. only streaming/watching/home theater/mp3/jpg/bdmv/video_ts/iso use the HTPC will be made for (no Web at all, nor games at all, nor Adobe/Office or any software of any kind, only XBMC, even no Anti-virus cause no Web)
C. open air case (similar to this one, but not exactly the same => http://richchomiczewski.wordpress.com/home/trays/ )
D. The BDs and DVDs are all stripped in .iso or bdmv or video_ts to WD/ST 5400rpm Green harddisks and only 1 HD will be connected to the HTPC at a time to watch the film or listen to music etc.

Now, questions :

1. For high performance, smooth FULL HD 1080p BD DVD performance, is the Mobo, RAM and CPU sufficient or not ? I want to achieve the max sufficient level, I know I can go even higher, but if it isn't needed, why spend more $ for i7 extreme cpu etc, you know what I mean ?
2. Which GPU (high-fi or high-end class Ati or nV with HDMI out to connect to Bose V25) you suggest for never-problem-with in watching pleasure in conjuction with Bose V25
3. what PSU (power and model, I have already Modu 82+ that I already use with new PC kit, but can buy even better for PC and keep 82+ for HTPC for ex)
4. which Sound card (Creative X-fi I think it should be, externe or interne)
5. I thought of Noctua CPU coolers or watercooling kit, which would be the most silent cause case is open-air (for max performance in question of temps)
6. which SSD harddisk for Win7 x64+ XBMC only system on it, or you suggest Linux for XBMC (knowing the config and it's purpose I think it can go with Win7 cause I'm used to on it)

Remote will come later, I already bought Keyspen RF, but that can change, it's not priority right now.

thanks in advance to everyone who will help me with suggestions !
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: Open air case handmade (photos will follow, made in ALU 100% and Gripple.com suspensions, MoBo and all will levitate in AIR, suspended in fact, project with work in progress)
Asus Striker II Extreme (socket 775) (already have from older pc, so planned to keep)
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 (3 Ghz, 12 MB L2 cache, open multiplicator for OC) (choosed, to be bought soon)
Kingston 4x 2 GB DDR3 HyperX 1600 Mhz (already have)

Now, questions :
[quote='zulebg' pid='1129135' dateline='1339930129']
1. For high performance, smooth FULL HD 1080p BD DVD performance, is the Mobo, RAM and CPU sufficient or not ? I want to achieve the max sufficient level, I know I can go even higher, but if it isn't needed, why spend more $ for i7 extreme cpu etc, you know what I mean ?
It should be powerful enough to playback all blu-ray files in full 1080P and bitstreaming DTS-HD/TrueHD audio...
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: 2. Which GPU (high-fi or high-end class Ati or nV with HDMI out to connect to Bose V25) you suggest for never-problem-with in watching pleasure in conjuction with Bose V25
Great Bose system, and I used to have 7.1 Bose system.......this discrete GPU "HIS Radeon HD 6570 2 GB" should work nicely with your Bose.....
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: 3. what PSU (power and model, I have already Modu 82+ that I already use with new PC kit, but can buy even better for PC and keep 82+ for HTPC for ex)
This silent PSU should be great for HTPC- SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W ATX12V Fanless 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: 4. which Sound card (Creative X-fi I think it should be, externe or interne)
Since you'll be bitstreaming, you don't need a sound card.....
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: 5. I thought of Noctua CPU coolers or watercooling kit, which would be the most silent cause case is open-air (for max performance in question of temps)
Enermax Ecomaster made some nice silent CPU coolers.....
(2012-06-17, 12:48)zulebg Wrote: 6. which SSD harddisk for Win7 x64+ XBMC only system on it, or you suggest Linux for XBMC (knowing the config and it's purpose I think it can go with Win7 cause I'm used to on it)
This one should be enough for Windows7+XBMC- Patriot Torqx 2 PT264GS25SSDR 2.5" 64GB......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I was wondering for MSI x58 GD65A mobo with some i7 9x0 CPU instead of Striker II Extreme with Q9650 or QX9650 or Q9550 (I'm searching for QX, but hard to find or too expensive so I thought of Q9650 or Q9550)
What do you think ? For ex, GD65A+i7 950 or even i7 970/980 cpu ?

this mobo has usb 3.0 also and x58 chipset, Striker II extreme is for OC, which I don't plan to do with HTPC cause of cooling and noise with good cooling if OCed. Since it will be used only for playback dvd/bd I think I don't need OC with good CPU and GPU and 8-16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM

thanks everybody
(2012-06-17, 22:35)zulebg Wrote: but hard to find or too expensive so I thought of Q9650 or Q9550)
What do you think ? For ex, GD65A+i7 950 or even i7 970/980 cpu ?
If you are willing to pay more for the newer i7-9xxx, it'll be better and you'll get better technology too.......

Ok thanks. No sound card cause bitstreaming, can you give me more details about this ?

many thanks
(2012-06-17, 23:24)zulebg Wrote: Ok thanks. No sound card cause bitstreaming, can you give me more details about this ?

many thanks
You can find more info on how to bitstream using XBMC in my signature below.....

I'd strongly reconsider your choice for CPU/motherboard even though you already have the motherboard. Technology has come a long way since QX9650 and so have prices and performance.

Look at this chart here:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.p...40+3.00GHz

Even the 2nd generation Core i3-2130 comes close in performance to the QX9650 at $150. The i5-2500K blows it away and those can be had for under $200. Any of the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge i5s blow that CPU away in terms of performance as well. They also all operate much cooler, use less power and the integrated CPU can bitstream HD audio and render HD video.

I don't know what you're paying for the QX9650 but you could probably get a new Ivy Bridge i5 and Z77 motherboard for close to the same price or just a bit more and it'll run circles around that old QX9650.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st HTPC, consults and advices pls !0