• 3(current)
New Fork: Voice Control For XBMC Remote
(2012-06-26, 15:43)niftydude Wrote: Hi mite,
I fixed what I think was the problem for albums and movies. It works on my ubuntu system, but I don't have a windows xbmc to try it on because I left my laptop at work today. Could you give this a go if you have time?
Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17107039/XBMC%20...alpha2.apk

I just installed this one, seems to be working fine, the only issue I see is when you issue a command and you get the list of commands, when you issue a new one, it's not erasing the old list, so you end up with layers of text that garble together.

Besides that, it seems to be able to pick out songs (so long as there aren't similar titles, it seems to auto-choose the first hit even if it's not exact) and movies fairly well.

Looking forward to where this goes, so far I love it.

Just curious, whats the most recent version of the app? I downloaded the one that was on the first post and things worked really well, but im not sure if thats the most current version or not.

Fantastic job on the app btw: I'm really sick and can barely talk but it still managed to hear me say "play toy story 3" Big Grin
Does this include the TV Show fix for hte new schema?
Few features that would be awesome:

1. quicker access to voice control. A widget I could place on my homescreen would be crazy awesome but if nothing else I feel that voice control should be accessible from the menu screen. I shouldn't have to go to remote control > settings > voice control. in many cases, its faster to just find the film manually.

2. play most recent episode of (insert show here)

3. play artist

4. play playlist (insert playlist here)

5. Go to TV Show (insert show here)

Thanks again for all the great work!
(2012-09-04, 02:23)Bankin Wrote: Few features that would be awesome:

1. quicker access to voice control. A widget I could place on my homescreen would be crazy awesome but if nothing else I feel that voice control should be accessible from the menu screen. I shouldn't have to go to remote control > settings > voice control. in many cases, its faster to just find the film manually.

2. play most recent episode of (insert show here)

3. play artist

4. play playlist (insert playlist here)

5. Go to TV Show (insert show here)

Thanks again for all the great work!
+1 on all this, with priority going to a mic widget. Also it would be nice to have a keyboard widget when doing searches. Either an icon to open a keyboard, or even a full screen keyboard widget.

(2012-07-10, 15:48)niftydude Wrote: Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look at voxcommando, unfortunately it is Windows only.

I use Linux on my htpcs. The reason I do this is because Linux comes with music player daemon (mpd) and pulseaudio. Using these two things together gives me the ability to play the same music perfectly synchronized across the network in different rooms. This is something that is an absolute killer app for me, and I have no idea how to do it as easily in Windows (if at all)

Linux also has other advantages, but that is the main one I wouldn't be willing to give up.

So a Windows only solution like voxcommando is not really an option for me.
Just a note, that albeit a bit convoluted, but my main MC is a Acer Revo XBMCbuntu. But I run VoxCommando using a virtualbox VM running Windows off my Mac. I'm using just the standard pinhole mic and I honestly think it freaking works pretty great. Remote w/ Voice would be cool too though so I will check this out, but VC definitely has some nice features too, and having multiple options is something i'm a fan of Smile One thing I like about an app like VoxCommando is it can just stay up, but if I was using my phone or whatever I'd have to physically interact to engage the voice and that I think would be somewhat frustrating to me.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Hi niftydude, excellent work!

I did a similar app a few months ago but I couldn't integrate it with the xbmc remote. So I have some ideas and code that could be useful for this.

-First the "always listening" can be done, here is the code I used ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27846280/AlwaysListen.txt ) or where I found it (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/49754...eech-input)

-Other thing that I used to improve the results is a function (Levenshtein Distance) to compare the results of the voice recognition and the commands or the list of movies, albums, etc. So if the percentage is above a certain number it executes the command. If it is below it could show the command but not execute it. Here is the function ( https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27846280/Levens...stance.txt )

-The other thing that I did is instead of using the five row list to show the results of the voice recognition, I used it to show the list of elements it found. If there are elements with the same name or similar it will show them on that list and you can click the item to play it. For example if you search the song "Dream On" and you have several albums with that song it will bring all the songs with that name (plus the band and album name), and if you click one of them it will play it. Let me know if you want the code to implement that.

-Another easy thing to implement is a command plus a number. For example "Volume 80" and it will put the volume in that percentage. Or "down 10" and it will move down 10 times. And another useful command that you should add is "mute" or "silence".

-Also you could add the command "Add song zzz", "Add album zzz", to add the song or anything to the current playlist.

(sorry for my English, my native language is spanish)

Well let me know if you need help with something and good luck! Smile
Hope to see a few of the suggestions in a new version soon.. Smile
love the idea of controlling via voice, where's the op gone though??

come back nifty! we miss you Big Grin
(2012-06-26, 15:43)niftydude Wrote: Hi mite,
I fixed what I think was the problem for albums and movies. It works on my ubuntu system, but I don't have a windows xbmc to try it on because I left my laptop at work today. Could you give this a go if you have time?
Thanks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17107039/XBMC%20...alpha2.apk

this is the latest version in case anyone is wondering (3 months old).
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not any more Wink

Sorry I've been gone so long guys. I went on holiday for a couple of weeks, and came back to a ridiculous backlog of work and uni. Then my laptop died, and when I took it in to get fixed, they wiped the hard drive.
Lucky everything was in git. But it's still taken me a while to get some time to work on this again.

Because my laptop was wiped, the new build was built with a different signature than the previous app, so you will have to uninstall the previous xbmc remote before you install this one. Sorry for the hassle.

There are some great ideas here, and I will definitely be looking at trying to implementing some of them, especially play next tv episode, the widget and the continuous mode idea.

But for now, this new alpha only has a small change so I can get back into the swing of things: Roman numeral support. Saying something like "Play Movie back to the future part 3" will correctly resolve to "back to the future part III" and play it. Similarly, "Play album disclaimer 2" will become "disclaimer II". This change shouldn't effect recognition of stuff with normal numbers in it though.

Catchya!

glad to see youre back niftydude Smile
sounds great with a widget, any chance the voice command could have a button on that?

[/quote]

Not any more Wink

Sorry I've been gone so long guys. I went on holiday for a couple of weeks, and came back to a ridiculous backlog of work and uni. Then my laptop died, and when I took it in to get fixed, they wiped the hard drive.
Lucky everything was in git. But it's still taken me a while to get some time to work on this again.

Because my laptop was wiped, the new build was built with a different signature than the previous app, so you will have to uninstall the previous xbmc remote before you install this one. Sorry for the hassle.

There are some great ideas here, and I will definitely be looking at trying to implementing some of them, especially play next tv episode, the widget and the continuous mode idea.

But for now, this new alpha only has a small change so I can get back into the swing of things: Roman numeral support. Saying something like "Play Movie back to the future part 3" will correctly resolve to "back to the future part III" and play it. Similarly, "Play album disclaimer 2" will become "disclaimer II". This change shouldn't effect recognition of stuff with normal numbers in it though.

Catchya!

[/quote]

So great to have you back! in your absence, I've adopted to Yatse, which is a fantastic app as well! However, theres no rule that says I can't use the two in conjunction ;D

Really looking forward to the next update Big Grin
Hi,

I just registered to add my vote and voice of encouragement.
VoxCommando looks like a great solution for Windows... but Windows is a terrible solution for us Wink

I'd love to get this up and running-- please let us know when there is a new stable build out!!!!

thanks so much!

Mike
In case anyone is interested I recently was laid off so I finally have had some time to work on my xbmc setup. One of my focuses is on this app so I downloaded the latest source and have been adding a widget for it. I will report back here with my progress. I will be doing my testing on a Note 2 as it is my primary device (running 4.1.1).
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Fork: Voice Control For XBMC Remote2