Linux Tune TVHeadend/XBMC to run soccer games more fluently?
Hi guys,

yesterday the EURO 2012 soccer championship ended => Congrats Spain! Smile

What I've seen during the last couple of weeks is that soccer does not run fluently at all.

You can see it when the ball flies through the air that it gets jerky... also when the player names scroll horizontally through the screen - also jerky. I watched the final on a friend's TV (Humax DVB Receiver) and everything was very fluent and not jerky at all, so it can't be the signal. I really couldn't enjoy the soccer game(s).

So I'm looking for a way to tune XBMC so that it runs live TV more fluently. Is there anything I can tune? On the TVHeadend side... on the XBMC side... in FFMPEG or whatever?!

I've set deinterlacing to "auto". Also tried "off" (for HD content) - but nothing really helped me here.

Input channel:

HD channel (ZDF HD - German HD channel)

Hardware:

Mystique DVB S2 dual express
Intel i3 2105 (with HD3000 GPU)

I don't think that it's a hardware issue... because there are no heavy CPU spikes or what so ever...

Greetz,

Sascha
I use a Mac Mini with HD3000, i found the best thing was to setup the Video to PAL 50hz (the default was 60hz NTSC) this then matched the feed,

There is also an option in XBMC to "Adjust display refresh rate to match video" this then helps when viewing non live TV content at 24fps etc etc
Deinterlacing is (or was) considered experimental in vaapi - it used to exist only in the vaapi-ext branch (think it's moved to staging now). So unless you followed Attila's (alanwww1) guide for a minimal install on intel sandybridge you "may" not actually have deinterlacing. Lots of may, possibly and perhaps in that, hopefully someone can confirm.
I'm not sure whether it's the specific combo of hardware I have or not, but i3 deinterlacing has always sucked balls for me. I tried using the experimental VAAPI hardware decoding for a while and found that not only did it cause a lot of crashes with live TV, but the one option you have with hardware (Bob) causes the picture to alternately slow down/speed up and go completely out of sync with the audio, even with SD content that utilises <10% CPU.

This is also largely true when doing it on the CPU, but the working combo I have found is using Deinterlace (half) without VAAPI.
Broadcast of the german channels ZDF HD and ARD HD is 1280x720@50p so deinterlacing is useless. Set Video to PAL (50Hz) in Videosettings and all should be fine.
I also watched the Euro's football - xbmc, tvheadend, intel i3-2100T, HD DVB-T2 1080i h264 transmissions with VAAPI turned off, so video decoding and deiniterlacing being handled in software, and the picture was smooth as butter. I did follow alanwww1's excellent VAAPI howto but I get frequent GPU hangs when switching to a HD channel - bug report submitted to the intel driver devs. My deiniterlacing settings are all at auto and work well but when choosing some manual deinterlacing methods I do get jerky pictures - VAAPI with Bob works fine for me incidentally, so looks like there's varied results depending on video codec perhaps?

Since the new audioengine build from June I have very jerky HD pictures when xbmc is transcoding the AAC 5.1 audio to AC3
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132795&page=2 - maybe you were seeing this mastix?

If not, a debug log when a match is playing might help shed some light on the problem but now the tournament is over I guess you'll need to wait for the start of the new season for that Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tune TVHeadend/XBMC to run soccer games more fluently?0