Win Getting playlists on NAS share to show in XBMC
I have a folder in a SMB share on my NAS server that contains all my music playlists. How do I get XBMC (Eden/11) to look in that folder for playlists instead of the default playlists path in the userdata folder (i.e., "Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\")?
Path subs (wiki). Playlists are the original use for path subs, actually :)
So this is all I need in advancedsettings.xml?:

Code:
<pathsubstitution>
<substitute>
   <from>C:\Users\<your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\</from>
   <to>smb://nasserver/playlists/</to>
</substitute>
</pathsubstitution>
yep
I tried that and playlists do not show up in XBMC (actual advancedsettings.xml file below). Maybe I'm misunderstanding how playlists works in XBMC. Must I be in library mode (I'm currently in file mode)? Must I have a music source added first (I have none yet, I just care about playing my playlists for now)? Do I access playlists by home screen -> music -> menu panel -> Playlists? Do the filenames of the playlists show here (i.e., more than fun.m3u, oh so jazzy.m3u, 90's let downs.m3u, etc.)?

Code:
<advancedsettings>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
           <from>C:\Users\digityzed\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\music\</from>
           <to>smb://nasserver/playlists/music/</to>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>
Just a quick off topic question, I note your slashes in the <from> statement lean back, while the <to> lean forward...?

e.g.

<substitute>
<from>special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/</from>
<to>SMB://192.168.0.11/xbmc/Library/Application Support/XBMC/userdata/Thumbnails/</to>
</substitute>
Because it's substituting a Windows file path with a network file path. It works.
So am I misunderstanding how playlists in XBMC work? If not, why would my playlists not show up?
I meant the slashes.

I think XBMC needs to use a "special://" protocol format for it to work (not entirely sure). Try this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
           <from>special://musicplaylists/</from>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>
IIRC Windows uses back slashes and Linux/OSX forward slashes,
so depending on your OS you should use one of the two, not both...
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)
(2012-07-05, 12:08)Zokkel Wrote: IIRC Windows uses back slashes and Linux/OSX forward slashes,
so depending on your OS you should use one of the two, not both...

That doesn't matter for path subs...
(2012-07-05, 10:10)Ned Scott Wrote: I meant the slashes.

I think XBMC needs to use a "special://" protocol format for it to work (not entirely sure). Try this:

Code:
<advancedsettings>

<pathsubstitution>
        <substitute>
           <from>special://musicplaylists/</from>
        </substitute>
    </pathsubstitution>

</advancedsettings>

BINGO!!! That did it! Now my playlists show up in XBMC. Thanks a lot!

(2012-07-06, 09:47)DiGiTYZED Wrote: BINGO!!! That did it! Now my playlists show up in XBMC. Thanks a lot!

Good to hear! I'll work this into the wiki somewhere now that we have confirmation.
Is it safe to assume this works the same for video (special://videoplaylists/) and mixed playlists (special://mixedplaylists/)?

Also when playing a playlist, it takes some time to actually load the songs (at least 10+ seconds) - is there a way to speed that up or not have it preload everything first?
Not sure. Special protocol (wiki) only lists special://videoplaylists and special://musicplaylists . It might work with something like special://profile/playlists/ to get all of them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Getting playlists on NAS share to show in XBMC0