Linux can't power off XBMCbuntu HTPC
Hello all from a newb! Quoting my own thread from another forum:
"Yesterday assembled my 1st HTPC. Haven't had time to setup it, but installed XBMCBuntu just to check that hardware is Ok.
While XBMC itself worked Ok, one thing frustrated me immediately - I coudn't switch HTPC off. Whether I chose "shut down" option from XBMC, or even used power button on the case, HTPC just kept restarting instead of shutting down. I mean, PC kinda shuts down, but in couple seconds awakes and loads XBMC again.
Has anyone experienced/aware of this issue?

Thanks.
P.S. didn't use remote, only keyboard+mouse.
P.P.S. case Grandia 05B, XBMCbuntu 11."
Can you try the following in a terminal 'sudo init 0'. Should do the trick.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

It seems odd that the Power button doesn't power-off the system either.
  • Have you tried pressing and holding down the Power button to see if the system shuts down instead of rebooting?
  • Since this is a new build, can you verify that the wires from the case's Power button are indeed connected to the power headers on the motherboard (rather than to, say, reset)?
  • Also, check your BIOS to see if there's an option to set the Power button's behavior when pressed.
Hello, hope you are doing well. A few things jump to mind...
1. Your bios settings for the mb, are they set at default?
2. Trying another livecd of a distro to see if you can shutdown normally there.
3. In terminal mode (cnt-alt-F1) logging in, then at the prompt "sudo shutdown now", putting in your pword and shutting down.

ps. some peeps put a switch of either -h or -P for example "sudo shutdown -P now"
Thanks for advice everyone.
I didn't check BIOS settings indeed - they are the factory settings now, and I'll check them when get home today.
I'm quite sure I've wired reset and power pin headers correctly. Will double-check.
Thanks again!
Update:
I can power off by pressing power button on chassis for ~3 sec. Short click reboots.
Checked BIOS (factory settings) haven't found anything related to the issue.
Tried remote control, behavior is the same - reboot, no shutdown.
"Sudo shutdown now" never finishes, always hangs up on some stage. Last time it was "stopping System V runlevel compatibility".
"Sudo shutdown -P now" reboots...

Any input is appreciated...
Try:
Code:
sudo shutdown -h now
I'll give it a try tomorrow. But have one question in advance - if it works, is there a way to make this command default to XMBC shutdown event?
Btw, looks pretty much as my issue: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130419
Update:
"sudo shutdown -h now" restarts, doesn't power off.

I tried step-by-step recipe from this thread http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=130419
but with no success. After editing /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla I'm still reported "not authorized" to execute "pkcheck --action-id org.freedesktop.upower.suspend --process <my-xbmc-pid>"

pretty much that's it. I'm out of ideas... The only way I can power off the HTPC now is looooong pressing the pwr button.
Three Levels of Troubleshooting
====================
1. Hardware (Check to see there are no shorts, everything seated properly, proper connections/pinouts)
2. Firmware (Check your BIOS)
3. Software (Check to see if the same thing happens with another OS/Distro)

For Example, you try booting from a lubuntu live cd. The shutdown is normal = software problem. If the shutdown is the same behavior = firmware or hardware. So let's say that's what it is... then you have to start isolating the problem by removing components until you've reached the culprit. The bare necessities when you've stripped down: motherboard, PSU, keyboard, monitor.

It's FUN when you've solved the prob Smile
Btw, "suspend" option from XBMC works Ok. PC goes to deep sleep, and wakes up upon short pwr button press. But no luck with "power off" and "hibernate" options.
At this point, I would recommend doing what Bunto Skiffler suggested; namely, boot your PC with a Live CD for something other than XBMCbuntu. I would also suggest trying an earlier version of Ubuntu, such as 10.10. If you can shutdown normally with those other Linux versions running in Live mode, then the problem is most likely with your PC and XBMCbuntu. Which version of XBMCbuntu are you running -- the stable version (with Ubuntu 11.10) or the alpha version (with Ubuntu 12.04)?
I just managed to power off... Repeated the trick with modifying the /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom-actions.pkla
but, remembering that I installed XBMCBuntu under my own login/pswd,
changed
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
to
Identity=unix-user:<MY_USERNAME>
and it helped.

Please forgive, if I'm asking something really dumb, but did I have to choose 'xbmc' as a username during installation ?
You can use any ID (user name) you want (i.e., you are not required to use "xbmc").

Glad you got it sorted out!
Couple more questions related to this thread:
1) XBMC hibernate kinda works (if I enable S4 sleep in BIOS first). But only 'kinda' - upon wakeup from hibernate, I'm getting shaking-strobing XBMC logo, strange X-shaped mouse pointer and that's about it. Have to restart anyway. I searched, and it doesn't look like XBMC hibernation is actively used. Just want to know whether hibernation issues are common thing.
2) I can't wake from suspend by remote control - although receiver is powered by USB port and I see it responding to remote. Short tap on power button wakes system up though. Is it normal?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can't power off XBMCbuntu HTPC0