Linux can't power off XBMCbuntu HTPC
What kind of Motherboard do you have? Maybe your BIOS needs an update.

As you can see here (ASRock E350M1 Motherboard):
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Mo...SB3&o=BIOS

Quote:Version 1.6 -- Description: Modify for Windows8 shut down behavior.
Version 1.5 -- Description: Fix Ubuntu 11.04 can not shut down issue.

There are MoBos out there with "strange" Shutdown behavior.
(2012-07-12, 09:50)Pyromaniac Wrote: What kind of Motherboard do you have? Maybe your BIOS needs an update.

As you can see here (ASRock E350M1 Motherboard):
http://www.asrock.com/mb/download.asp?Mo...SB3&o=BIOS

Quote:Version 1.6 -- Description: Modify for Windows8 shut down behavior.
Version 1.5 -- Description: Fix Ubuntu 11.04 can not shut down issue.

There are MoBos out there with "strange" Shutdown behavior.

MB: Intel DH77EB, latest firmware.
Shutdown aka 'power off' is fine (after some hacks described earlier). Hibernate is glitchy. It is not a showstopper, though, since I can live with shutdown & suspend options just fine.
And I can't wake from "suspend" via remote, have to tap power button on chassis. Also not a showstopper, just wondering whether it's normal XBMCbuntu behavior.
I've never seen much point to Hibernate since it takes about as much time for the saved data to get reloaded into RAM from a previous Hibernate session as it does to do a cold boot (at least for Linux). And, as you've pointed out, the restored session can be glitchy.

As for using your remote to take your PC out of suspend, you may have to enable the USB port to which the remote is connected to be used as a wakeup device. See this wiki page, particularly the echo (device) > /proc/acpi/wakeup command. Also check your BIOS to see if there's an option to allow USB to resume a system from suspend mode. If the above command works, you should add it to /etc/rc.local so it gets executed whenever you (re)boot your system. All this, of course, assumes your remote control is using a USB dongle.

Edit:
Just noticed you're running XBMCbuntu, in which case you'll need to run the above command from a script in /etc/xbmc/live.d/ instead of in /etc/rc.local
+1

I'd say invest in an SSD - if you haven't already - and with a 15 sec boot-time Hibernation makes even less sense. I've seen countless threads on 'X,Y doesn't work coming out of hibernate..' so don't see the point of it frankly.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
(2012-07-12, 20:58)artrafael Wrote: As for using your remote to take your PC out of suspend, you may have to enable the USB port to which the remote is connected to be used as a wakeup device. See this wiki page, particularly the echo (device) > /proc/acpi/wakeup command. Also check your BIOS to see if there's an option to allow USB to resume a system from suspend mode. If the above command works, you should add it to /etc/rc.local so it gets executed whenever you (re)boot your system. All this, of course, assumes your remote control is using a USB dongle.

Edit:
Just noticed you're running XBMCbuntu, in which case you'll need to run the above command from a script in /etc/xbmc/live.d/ instead of in /etc/rc.local

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

(2012-07-12, 21:08)thethirdnut Wrote: I'd say invest in an SSD - if you haven't already - and with a 15 sec boot-time Hibernation makes even less sense. I've seen countless threads on 'X,Y doesn't work coming out of hibernate..' so don't see the point of it frankly.

I did invest in SSD, and although I didn't measure, boot time feels even shorter than 15 sec. Maybe ~10sec or so. Smile
As I mentioned, I can live without hibernate just fine. Smile
IMHO suspend/hibernate = laptop
(2012-07-13, 00:18)Bunto Skiffler Wrote: IMHO suspend/hibernate = laptop
Not necessarily. I use suspend on my XBMC system with a desktop motherboard. XBMC is set to suspend the system after 30 minutes of inactivity to eliminate noise and reduce power consumption. A quick tap on a remote control button and the system is up within a few seconds, displaying XBMC where it had left off previously. I don't have to rely on family members to remember to turn off the system when they're done or feel guilty about wasting power when no one is using the system.
I'll give it a try
(2012-07-12, 20:58)artrafael Wrote: As for using your remote to take your PC out of suspend, you may have to enable the USB port to which the remote is connected to be used as a wakeup device. See this wiki page, particularly the echo (device) > /proc/acpi/wakeup command. Also check your BIOS to see if there's an option to allow USB to resume a system from suspend mode. If the above command works, you should add it to /etc/rc.local so it gets executed whenever you (re)boot your system. All this, of course, assumes your remote control is using a USB dongle.
Edit:

Reanimating old thread... I took one random USB port, namely, USB2, from /proc/acpi/wakeup list, and I can't enable it. Tried it two ways:
1) sudo su root; echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
2) sudo sh -c 'echo "USB2" > /proc/acpi/wakeup'
... and after this USB2 is still listed as disabled.

UPD.: works now. What I had to enable, is not USB<Number> at all, but some HCE1 - after this I could wake up from suspend by keyboard, but still not IR receiver. Then I've got USB number for the receiver from 'dmesg' output and called 'echo enabled> / sys/bus/usb/devices/<USB NUMBER>/power/wakeup'.
If only I understood what I was doing Big Grin - but it works now. Big Grin
This article helped.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
can't power off XBMCbuntu HTPC0