Movie sets inside movie sets
I originally posted this feature suggestion

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=135178

which sort of transformed into a request for movie sets inside movie sets (as a compromise to the original request).

Basically the problem is this, if you have multiple copies of the same movie, that movie appears lots of times in your movie collections.

for example if i had the following movies
Batman Begins
Batman Begins [Extended Cut]
Batman Begins [Year One Cut]
Batman Begins [720p]
Batman Begins [SD]
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight [Extended Cut]
The Dark Knight [720p]
The Dark Knight [SD]
The Hulk

But ideally you would want to combine all copies of "Batman Begins" into one movie as well as "The Dark Knight", but you would also want to group both of those movies into a "Batman" movie set.

So if you were able to have

Movies
\Batman
\Batman\Batman Begins
\Batman\Batman Begins\Batman Begins
\Batman\Batman Begins\Batman Begins [Extended Cut]
\Batman\Batman Begins\Batman Begins [Year One Cut]
\Batman\Batman Begins\Batman Begins [720p]
\Batman\Batman Begins\Batman Begins [SD]
\Batman\The Dark Knight\The Dark Knight
\Batman\The Dark Knight\The Dark Knight [Extended Cut]
\Batman\The Dark Knight\The Dark Knight [720p]
\Batman\The Dark Knight\The Dark Knight [SD]
\Hulk

So basically a virtual folder structure.

also a way to do this via nfo files. perhaps just using
<set>Batman/Batman Begins</set>
or
<set name="Batman">
<set name="Batman Begins" />
</set>
then you could have
<set name="level 1">
<set name="level 2">
<set name="level 3">
<set name="level 4" />
</set>
</set>
</set>

or have if the title* and year are the same automatically group them into a subset of whatever set they already belong too.

* title minus tags (anything inside "[]"s)
No, we are not doing this. In fact, we're restricting sets to a single set per movie.

We are adding tags, but that won't do what you want either.

I suggest you setup your filesystem in this way if that's what you want, and browse by file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Wow, I work with Movie Sets and all I got to say @reven K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) if you make it too complicated people lose interest.
...so you can drive while you drive...
ok, just throwing the idea out there.

i mostly want it so i can have different versions of the same movie for different devices (some too low powered to handle HD). so instead of having "Batman Begins" and "Batman Begins [SD]" as two movies, just have one and when i hit play i can choose which quality/source to play (very similar to boxee beta did multiple sources). i also have a few different cuts of the same movie (army of darkness, spiderman2 etc).
Not that I have your problem, but if I did I'd be more inclined to only keep the highest quality of each movie in the main library, then have a different library based on purpose rather than resolution/etc. So for example, you might have:

Movies
- Batman Returns (@1080p AVI)
- Batman & Robin (@720p DIVX)
- Batman Begins (@720p MKV)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (@1080p MKV)

and if you need to maintain copies of any of those for a particular purpose (eg reduced resolution and converted to MP4 for playing on an iPod) make another library based on the purpose:

Movies (Mobile)
- Batman & Robin (@480p MP4)
- Batman: The Dark Knight (@480p MP4)
I wanted something (slightly) similar and managed a setup that may be useful for you

I have some films where I have a 2D and a 3D version and didnt want each film to appear twice in any list (main films OR within a set)
I have my films in folders like this

X:\Films\......
X:\3D Films\........

I created a playlist called "Films" of the type "Movies" and set the playlist as "Find items where...path contains X:\Films\ "
I created a playlist called "3D Films" of the type "Movies" and set the playlist as "Find items where...path contains X:\3D Films\ "

Then, using a skin that allows Custom Playlists to be used on the HomeScreen (I use Night), I enabled a custom playlist on the home screen called Films, using the Films playlist and another for 3D films in a similar way. I also did a third along the same lines to have Stand Up Comedy shows not mixed in with the films.

You could have a set of similar playlist for different qualities. It might mean some reorganising to separate the standards of film but would ultimately be worth it. You would know which section to choose depending on what screen/hardware you are using and would see all the films suitable for that setup.

One note of caution, you would have to manually change the <set> tag in the .nfo files to
<set>xxxxxxx</set>
or
<set>xxxxxxx [Extended]</set>
or
<set>xxxxxxx [720p]</set>
or
<set>xxxxxxx [SD]</set>

so that each films remains in the correct section. I had Toy Story in 2D and Toy Story 3 in 3D and they ended up both in the 3D section as they both had the same set. I changed one to <set>Toy Story 3D Collection</set> and re-scanned and everything worked fine.

Hope it helps
I don't think this idea is as stupid as the title sounds. When (if?) xbmc finally gets ordered chapters support, there needs to be system in place for selecting which edition you want to watch. Which i guess is what you're asking. Difference being with ordered chapters it's a single file.
Don't know if it is the same thing that got rejected. But when i use the Movie Library and have like 20 James Bond movies i would like them to be grouped in a set within the library so i can browse them without going to the Sets view. Is that possible? Not as deeply nested as the original request, but in the same direction.
They appear in the main Movie library as well under the same heading which is the whole point of sets.
If you use the the "the trailers" addon and scroll down the list of trailers and select one up pops a menu list with

Featurette
Trailer 2
Trailer 1
Teaser
Etc
Etc

Could this not the be the answer? If the scraper picks up multiple copies of the same movie it only shows one poster and when selected it pops up with a list of whatever copies you have

Original
Extended
Directors
Etc

That'd workHuh
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2012-08-31, 15:42)Hitcher Wrote: They appear in the main Movie library as well under the same heading which is the whole point of sets.

I missed a setting =) Thank you, only used XBMC for a few days.
Ok, I'm going to bring this back up since it's been 4 years and things have changed drastically in the movie world. With the introduction of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, multiple X-Men trilogies, DC starting their own cinematic universe and now there's talk of a Transformers Universe (please stop while you still have a little bit of dignity left), and many more, I think we may need to address this issue again.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post to keep it simple stupid....I don't think this type of change would be so drastic that people would lose interest in Kodi.

My solution would be to keep the current sets tag and only add a value parameter to a parent tag. I'll explain below.....

Currently, we create out sets like this in the nfo file
<set>Set Name</set>

Keep this as the lowest level category so people that don't want to group in multiple sets won't have go back and change all the nfo files. Instead, give the ones that want embedded sets the ability to do so by adding an additional tag like so.

<set value="Parent Set">
<set>Set Name</set>
</set>

You are still only allowing an individual movie to go into one set, it just has a parent set to group itself under first. To make it easy to start with, only allow one parent set and one child set and see how things work. That way your code only has to detect if the first set tag has a value attribute.

Thanks for your time and the awesome products you provide us.
Jesse
I completely agree with Jesse,

I have all my Kids animated movies in a set, Aladdin, Despicable Me, Open Season, Shrek etc.
It would be great if I could then stack Aladdin into a Disney Set, all the Despicable Me and Minions movies into a set and there is about 4 or 5 Open Season and Shrek films.

I have a Marvel set too, such a pain in the ass having all the Iron Man, X Men, Captain America's etc in there with no way to sub-set...

Is it possible to have a fresh look at this sometime in the not-too-distant future?
Come on this thread is 5 years old, necro posting really can go a bit far.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movie sets inside movie sets0