Connect to Openelec machine over internet
Tried posting this in Openelec forums but wouldn't post for some reason so here I am

I have a friend that I built a htpc for and put Openelec on there for them and they are currently having a problem that I know how to fix but they live a little too far away is there a way to have them turn on their Openelec. Box and I can access it over the Internet to fix the issue and even transfer files I was thinking of using FileZilla and connecting thru FTP but would I use the ip address that is displayed in the system info of xbmc or would I need something else if the machine was windows I could use team viewer but as I have not done this before with Openelec or Linux at all I am not sure what to do
You could try having you friend add a port forward in his router to forward a specific port to the ftp port on his openelec box (21 by default, I think). Then have him go to http://whatismyip.com . You could then connect your ftp client to that ip and whatever port he forwarded to the openelec box and you should be able to transfer the files. For example:

If the network ip of his openelec box was 192.168.1.2, in his router setup forward port 7777 to port 21 on 192.168.1.2
If what is my ip showed an address of 100.100.100.100 (not a real one, just an example), you would point your ftp software at 100.100.100.100 port 7777, and that should connect to his openelec box.
Even better, use port 22 instead of 21, and sshd (or puTTY). You can copy (scp) and have a shell.
Guys i have a zbox id80 plus with openelec 3.0.0 i would like to access it's library outside home and be able to stream it.
Could anyone help me with the configuration step by step?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Connect to Openelec machine over internet0