Recommend a Server Build!
Exclamation 
Hello.

I am hoping to get some help from you all regarding a server build. I have read Eskro's guide, as well as Poofy's, and have been learning a great deal about all of this stuff. Since new hardware is always out, you guys can hopefully help.

Now I'm ready to set up a server. I currently have:

1. 6 2TB drives (with data on them, but it's all backed up elsewhere)
2. An old case which will hold them.

So, I'll need the rest of the stuff, hoping to keep power and upkeep to a minimum while keeping reliability to a maximum.

unRAID or FlexRAID, most likely.

Suggestions for a great build? The more help the better!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 its like the second sticky at this site
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
As I said, I've read it and learned a lot. It is relevant as of nine months ago. I'm wondering what current setups people would consider for my needs. I'm imagining new hardware has come out, offering better options.

I have guides on servers and setup as well.

Here's a quick hardware recommendation I did for someone on this site: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1143223
Thanks, Assassin. I appreciate the help. I should have clarified, however, that I'm planning on this being a simple file server. I won't actually be playing any video or audio on it, just dishing out the files to various PCs around the house. I imagine that changes the mobo/cpu setup. How are the atom processors for simple server tasks?
(2012-07-10, 03:59)lagledavid Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 its like the second sticky at this site

I get what youy saying but realy there is no need for all the new hardware to run a simple server. I mean you can throw an I7 in a setup if you want but its not going to make it any better. Sometines keeping something simple is better. If it were me i would look to see if i had an older pc lying arround spruce it up with a new case and go from there.
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
(2012-07-10, 05:53)lagledavid Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 03:59)lagledavid Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=104489 its like the second sticky at this site

I get what youy saying but realy there is no need for all the new hardware to run a simple server. I mean you can throw an I7 in a setup if you want but its not going to make it any better. Sometines keeping something simple is better. If it were me i would look to see if i had an older pc lying arround spruce it up with a new case and go from there.

Yes, I can do that, however I'm hoping for a very low-power setup, perhaps atom-based or similar, so that I could conceivably leave it on for good with minimal risk of hardware failure and minimum power consumption. I am not interested in anything fancy: I realize it's a simple server. I just want something very lean and reliable. Atom?
(2012-07-10, 05:57)Sliphorn Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 05:53)lagledavid Wrote:

Yes, I can do that, however I'm hoping for a very low-power setup, perhaps atom-based or similar, so that I could conceivably leave it on for good with minimal risk of hardware failure and minimum power consumption. I am not interested in anything fancy: I realize it's a simple server. I just want something very lean and reliable. Atom?

now were getting somewhere totaly get it, the sempron listed in the guide is 45W, I think most of your power is going to be running fans to cool and run your HDs. Another thing to concider is are your going to use this to rip blurays or decode files and what not
(2012-07-10, 05:01)Sliphorn Wrote: Thanks, Assassin. I appreciate the help. I should have clarified, however, that I'm planning on this being a simple file server. I won't actually be playing any video or audio on it, just dishing out the files to various PCs around the house. I imagine that changes the mobo/cpu setup. How are the atom processors for simple server tasks?

Do a price comparison. You will see that my recommendations aren't much more. Atom will be okay though.
(2012-07-10, 06:36)lagledavid Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 05:57)Sliphorn Wrote:
(2012-07-10, 05:53)lagledavid Wrote: I get what youy saying but realy there is no need for all the new hardware to run a simple server. I mean you can throw an I7 in a setup if you want but its not going to make it any better. Sometines keeping something simple is better. If it were me i would look to see if i had an older pc lying arround spruce it up with a new case and go from there.

now were getting somewhere totaly get it, the sempron listed in the guide is 45W, I think most of your power is going to be running fans to cool and run your HDs. Another thing to concider is are your going to use this to rip blurays or decode files and what not

Really, I just wanted to get five nested quote boxes...

EDIT: Bummer...seems three nested quotes is the max...

I'm not going to be running encoding/decoding/etc. I'll only be distributing files. I may run windows with FlexRAID, and I may run Linux/unRAID/etc. Nothing is totally decided yet. So I suppose I'll need hardware capable of running whatever the most strenuous setup would be...probably Windows 7 64-bit with FlexRAID, distributing 1080p to three HTPCs. I'm not saying that this will be my setup, I'm only trying to imagine the worst-case scenario. Do you think atom is up to the task?

Really, I'm okay with spending a few extra dollars for the best, most reliable solution. Thanks for all the help, folks.
Bump.
You may wanto take a look at the Unraid builds here
I'm going to try FlexRAID first, and I already have drives and a case. Mostly just need a motherboard and CPU, and perhaps RAM depending on the mobo. Thanks for the link!
Okay, I just ordered:

Motherboard: ASRock H77M
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6813157303

CPU: Intel Pentium G630T Sandy Bridge 2.3GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...&Tpk=g630t

I hope this setup works well. On paper it seems pretty fast and only 35W...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a Server Build!0