n00b question regarding networking for HTPC
for the mentally impaired... is this what you mean?

okay.... My set up is MoCA with three media areas all MoCA wired and is as follows:

1. Office has Cable router >>>>PC & uNRAID & PS3 connected(wired)

2. Each media area has a Female BNC(coaxial connector) drop. MoCA bridges connect directly to this via coaxial cable of course.
....and Yes Blu.... an RF splitter gets connected here if you need to connect MoCA bridge and cable box. I'm boycotting cableTV service so i only have MoCA bridge attachedWink

3. HTPC or an ethernet port switch gets connected to MoCA bridge directly. If you use port switch then you can connect more than one device in each media area..

I would draw a diagram but I'm pressed for time.. Hope this helps! MoCA is awesome fellas...and it's a little known wired networking alternative. I'm surprised it's not used more than it has been, especially in this community were wired networking is almost paramount!
(2012-07-12, 16:22)mikev927 Wrote: for the mentally impaired... is this what you mean?

It is more like the diagram below....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
How about this one

Keep in mind that you can use an RF splitter after the coaxial wall drop(s) to split the signal between the MoCA bridge and your cable box if needed. The split has to take place there! The second BNC port on the MoCA bridge IS labeled as out, but it will not sent the signal to cable box here that is why the RF splitter is necessary! With this set-up, uNRAID delivers media to all media areas. I forgot to list it, but I have a WD Live HUB which has a 1TB drive inside carrying my TVShows connected to the GIG switch in Media Room 2. This is also delivers the contained media throughout my network. All areas of course are connected to the internet!
(2012-07-12, 23:57)bluray Wrote: It is more like the diagram below....

Your master bedroom setup is absolutely correct for folks who do not have a Cable Router that is MoCA capable.... BUT, if your cable company uses MoCA technology and your router looks similar to mine then you will not need a bridge here!
Cool diagrams HOOK....
this is phenominal!
(2012-07-13, 04:41)Beer40oz Wrote: Cool diagrams HOOK....

Thanks bro!Wink
(2012-07-13, 04:43)mikev927 Wrote: this is phenominal!

Yes it is..... MoCA bridges are very cheap too! Give it a try you will love it. Verizon gives me 50/25 Internet also, so NZB DL's are lightning fast.
(2012-07-13, 03:32)CpTHOOK Wrote: Your master bedroom setup is absolutely correct for folks who do not have a Cable Router that is MoCA capable.... BUT, if your cable company uses MoCA technology and your router looks similar to mine then you will not need a bridge here!
After I got home, I drew Moca diagram below. I never see Moca adapter in person, but after looked at several Moca adapter pictures....I think the diagram below is very accurate.......

Is this a battle of diagrams.... Smile my Turn...

-------MOCA----MODEM----SWITCH----SERVER----HTPC----TV

Done!

Great stuff guys.... Tongue
hook, you use the router verizon gives you?
(2012-07-13, 14:12)mikev927 Wrote: hook, you use the router verizon gives you?

Yes... the one in my diagram is a MoCA router. No bridge needed there!
i use the verizon one too but yours doesnt look like mine.

and also, is there any set up needed to this?
(2012-07-13, 08:02)Beer40oz Wrote: Is this a battle of diagrams.... Smile my Turn...

-------MOCA----MODEM----SWITCH----SERVER----HTPC----TV

Done!
No, it is not that simple.....and there are coax switches before Moca and router after modem and link back to Moca with Ethernet .........

(2012-07-13, 08:02)Beer40oz Wrote: Since I have COX high speed modem and COX cable with HD DVR receivers in two rooms, it is a lot different from CptHook. CptHook drawing will not work in my configuration........

It's something for me to think about for my next house......
(2012-07-13, 15:15)CpTHOOK Wrote: [quote='mikev927' pid='1146605' dateline='1342181573']
hook, you use the router verizon gives you?

Yes... the one in my diagram is a MoCA router. No bridge needed there!
Let me ask you this- can Moca network do 1080P video/bitstreaming HD audio over the network fluently.....because my 200Mbps Linksys/Cisco powerline adapter cannot do it fluently......

(2012-07-13, 03:05)CpTHOOK Wrote: How about this one

Keep in mind that you can use an RF splitter after the coaxial wall drop(s) to split the signal between the MoCA bridge and your cable box if needed. The split has to take place there! The second BNC port on the MoCA bridge IS labeled as out, but it will not sent the signal to cable box here that is why the RF splitter is necessary! With this set-up, uNRAID delivers media to all media areas. I forgot to list it, but I have a WD Live HUB which has a 1TB drive inside carrying my TVShows connected to the GIG switch in Media Room 2. This is also delivers the contained media throughout my network. All areas of course are connected to the internet!

Do the MoCA devices in media rooms 1 and 2 have built in firewalls? If not then surely all the LAN devices are open to the internet.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
n00b question regarding networking for HTPC1