IP addresses and Sync Thumbnails
hi i currently have a network setup with thumbnails and each of my machines on the network have a specific ip address assigned to them that i set in my routers config page by using their MAC Address however a friend wants me to setup a similar setup with his network however he doesn't want assigned IP Addresses if these where auto assigned with his network switch and if the HTPC's were assigned a different address after rebooting would this affect the thumbnails library at all by trying to create a new database in MySQLHuh

for example if i intially scan the items into a new database with a machine with the IP of 192.168.1.2

then i reboot at some point and next time i boot the machine the IP for that machine is now 192.168.1.3 will this cause any issues detecting the database on my server and prevent it displaying the correct database info and thumbnails
thumbnails or not, that's likely to mess up just sharing videos and connecting to the MySQL server. Assigned IP addresses are pretty much a must.
You could use hostnames - but then you'd need a reliable DHCP server, WHS and Win2k8 I've used and they work or a router with it built in (Tomato firmware on a Broadcom-based ASUS works fine here).
(2012-07-13, 11:33)Ned Scott Wrote: thumbnails or not, that's likely to mess up just sharing videos and connecting to the MySQL server. Assigned IP addresses are pretty much a must.

Ok so I will just assign a set ip address to each machine can I ask I have never used a switch before can you assign ip addresses with a switch or should I get a router I was thinking of buying the

TP-LINK TL-SG1005D 5 Port Gigabit Switch

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IP addresses and Sync Thumbnails0