Tvheadend epg
I am trying tvheadend again, one of the issues is the same as I had last time. Some channels in xbmc do not show up in the epg even though there is epg data in tvheadend.

I have reset pvr and epg db no joy and tried on different machines, the same. Any ideas. Could it be to do with eit and xmltv?
Hi,

This can happen for at least 2 reasons that I know of:

1. An old bug in XBMC meant that if you requested more data (days) than was available in TVH it would fail and not show anything. This was fixed a long time ago and so probably isn't the issue, but worth checking the XBMC logs.

2. If the now/next event is missing for the channel then XBMC fails to pick up the rest. This is somewhat legitimate, there should be an entry but if for whatever reason TVH fails to get one it causes this problem.

So a few questions:

1. Which version of TVH are you using? andoma's master, opdenkamps deb's or my branch?

2. Can you confirm whether the EPG data is present in TVH, using the UI. This would help determine where the problem might be.

3. How are you getting the data into TVH? you mentioned EIT and XMLTV are you using both (i.e. is XMLTV properly configured).

Adam
Hi,

I believe I am using opdenkamps branch, I installed xbmc-pvr using his script, I am running xbmcbuntu.

Originally using just eit there was no data for these channels and more, after setting up the radio times xmltv and leaving the machine overnight the epg was populated on tv headend. This just does not seem to filter across to xbmc. Under tv channels list in xbmc for these channels is says no information available and they do not even feature in the epg as blanks. The effected channels seem to be HD channels mainly eg bbc one hd, bbc hd, but some aren't eg channel 4 + 1 itv4.

I have a dvb-s pci and a dvb-t2 usb.

I have left use eit ticked for all channels, set up xmltv using the given command:

$ /usr/bin/tv_grab_uk_rt --configure ( i did this under hts account which did not appear to do anything then under my own account)

interestingly the icon has come across for some of the no info channels.

I did notice xmltv missed a fair few channels out in tvheadend (no xmltv source) but cant see a pattern with channels with no info in xbmc.
I have installed your version now from the epg rewrite branch using ./configure and ./make

It is running, I have selected ota opentv sky, nothing in the epg at all the moment. Does this take a while? In the terminal window I can see processing listings for "cbs etc....
Hey,

Yeah it can take quite a while as the EPG service doesn't kick in until the initial background scan has been completed. You can shortcut this somewhat by ticking the "skip initial scan" box in the adapter config. Note: this feature is also part of my branch and may be subject to change.

If it still doesn't work, enable debug and send me a log. I'll take a look.

Adam
woop some of the question channels have now appeared, hope fully the rest to follow.
Great, let me know how things go Smile

I'll be making some improvements over time, but I'm working on some more general TVH issues at the moment.
Looks like it was the xmltv processing from basic config and that the xmltv epg for the channels came across from your version for some reason. Cool.

Does the OpenTV sky UK ota setting just need to be checked and config saved for this to work or is there something else that needs to be done?
yes just tick the sky uk opentv box and save.

make sure you have this transponder scanned in aswell as this is where it gets the epg - 28.2 Sats Freq: 11778 V FEC:2/3, Symbol Rate 27500.
I dont think that the OTA option is doing anything, I do have some stuff in but think that has come from the old xmltv option. How can I tell, also how do I go about creating the debug log?
Personally at the moment I wouldn't mix use of XMLTV and OpenTV, they tend to fight each other (though I have done some work to improve this), the only real benefit at this stage of the XMTLV feed is the series/episode numbering, and that info is in the descriptions of the OpenTV feed. So only really useful if you plan to do some processing based on that info.

You should simply need to tick the box and wait. After startup it can take quite some time to get going, because it has to run an initial scan of all transports (this can be shortcut on my fork by selecting "skip initial scan" on the adapter config tab, as long as you've scanned everything previously). This way it'll start scanning almost immediately.

I would try the following:

1. Disable XMLTV
2. Ensure opentv-skyuk is enabled.
3. Stop tvh
4. Delete the existing database file (just to ensure you're getting new data from opentv etc...).
5. Restart TVH.

See what happens, ignore the debug option for now. You can enable it from the UI (see the little icon top right of the logging window), but it can kill the browser due to excessive logging output.

Thanks Adam, I'll give it another shot when I get home after deleting the db.

Does it have any effect combining channels from dvbt dvbs as I have done this for bbc1 etc?

Also, the freq of the transonder given earlier usually show faint signal, does this matter?
You won't be the only one combining channels Wink however I've not personally got a DVB-T card to test this out myself.

Andy Brown (andyb2k5 on IRC) has been using my stuff for quite some time and he has such a setup. There have been a few teething problems with merging channels, but we think it might have been a result of "how" he merged them. In theory it should work just fine. But see how you go, I will try and get myself a DVB-T card at some point to allow me to do some testing.

Honestly I can't be sure about that. It might affect the time it takes to grab the data and it might be a bit patchy, but signal levels can be deceptive. I'd have to say give it a go and see how you get on.

I've also got a Freesat EPG grabber, though it's still in dev and can't remember whether its currently available in my github fork. This however would obviously limit the channels you have access to (for example those channels on Freeview and not Freesat, or if you have any sky subscription channels). I'm also working to improve the combining of multiple grab systems, so they "co-operate" a bit better, but for now I'd try and stick to 1 main service (with EIT as a fallback).

If you need any help, pop along to IRC #hts, I'm usually about and there are a few people in there that use my code.
okay I did as above and left for 3 hrs, no epg with sky ticked.

Tried ticking eit: dvb grabber and stuff has started appearing straight away, lets see what happens.

Definitely not right. If things are working it should load the EPG in a few minutes. Maybe the problem is related to the quality of the transponder?

You could try manually tuning to the transponder. Select the EPG Background Audio service (via the DVB adapter config->services) which is on the same transponder.

You should see (in the logs) it try to install the opentv-skytv table handlers, if it properly tunes.

EIT will only provide you now/next.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tvheadend epg0