• 5(current)
XIOS PIVOS vs ATV2
XBMC on ATV2 has about one year plus of active dev on it, XBMC on Android is still in the alpha stage.
This xios crushes the atv2 right now. Ive had both and i just installed the linux beta xbmc port onto the xios. It's farther developed than the android and it supports 5.1 dts and dd passthru.

Here's a vid of the xios with the 8/13 xbmc linux build in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbzp80b4yc

very basic preview vid i put together. smb over wifi.

It's quick and fast and much better than the android kernel that comes default with the xios ds. Flashing the kernel to linux was super easy. I think as of now this is the first standalone xbmc box that isnt an htpc and is easy to get. Still in beta though so some mall things are missing.
cool I will try that later today.
I'm not satisfied with the performance on Android.. Even importing the library from the ATV2 to the XIOS was crappy as hell.
Just out of curiosity: if somebody would buy me a XIOS in the US and then send it over to The Netherlands does it have any limitations that would prevent me from using it here? For instance: Is the power adapter supplied with international plugs?
@Basje, go the pivos forums, there is a sticky link about international orders.
(2012-08-17, 20:57)davilla Wrote: @Basje, go the pivos forums, there is a sticky link about international orders.

Thanks, I've just sent them an e-mail.
Basje I sent you a PM!
Folks, I'm REALLY looking forward to run XBMC on an "Android TV - like" thing... What do you guys think about this one from Geniatech?

http://www.nikingstore.com/shop/geniatec...pch42tg5u3

It uses the same processor (cortex A9 @ 800Mhz, GPU is Mali 400), but has 1GB RAM and I miss a composite video output in the XIOS DS box.

Do you think I would be able to get XBMC working on it, as it works in the XIOS DS or do you guys see any apparent blocking stuff?

Looking forward your feedback!

And keep it GOING! :-D
(2012-08-18, 00:56)gpborges Wrote: Folks, I'm REALLY looking forward to run XBMC on an "Android TV - like" thing... What do you guys think about this one from Geniatech?

It uses the same processor (cortex A9 @ 800Mhz, GPU is Mali 400), but has 1GB RAM and I miss a composite video output in the XIOS DS box.

Do you think I would be able to get XBMC working on it, as it works in the XIOS DS or do you guys see any apparent blocking stuff?

It's hard to tell by case alone, since in the Android TV world, they like reusing cases and throwing very different hardware inside (might be the same ARM processor/GPU inside, but they don't mention who actually makes the SoC). I wouldn't buy anything until you can get a firm confirmation that the unit will work with hardware video decoding.
(2012-08-18, 02:01)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-08-18, 00:56)gpborges Wrote: Folks, I'm REALLY looking forward to run XBMC on an "Android TV - like" thing... What do you guys think about this one from Geniatech?

It's hard to tell by case alone, since in the Android TV world, they like reusing cases and throwing very different hardware inside (might be the same ARM processor/GPU inside, but they don't mention who actually makes the SoC). I wouldn't buy anything until you can get a firm confirmation that the unit will work with hardware video decoding.

Hum... I understand. So I need to go find what is the SoC used by this Geniatech ATV 310B and see if it matches the one used in the XIOS DS. If they match, would I be fine?

Thx in advance.
(2012-08-18, 02:04)gpborges Wrote: Hum... I understand. So I need to go find what is the SoC used by this Geniatech ATV 310B and see if it matches the one used in the XIOS DS. If they match, would I be fine?

It would be a step in the right direction, but certainly not a guarantee.
The eFuses for codec and audio licensing would not match. If the unit in question doesnt have licenses for DTS and codecs embedded in its hardware it will have reduced or no functionality, as the decoder will refuse to run. The decoder hardware itself checks for the efuses and if not keyed will refuse to operate.
Folks, yesterday I've taken the time to do some research about Geniatech and its business. They're one of the majors (if not the major) OEM company for Amlogic boxes. Their biggest customers are Lenovo/Samsung/LG.

I've sent them a mail (support at geniatech dot com) asking about the SoC used in the Geniatech ATV310B box, and they promptly replied me:

Amlogic AML8726-M3

And checking their specs, regarding codecs, etc, I've found this. So in the link, it's listed:

Video Formats Supported: RM/RMVB, MPEG-1/2, MPE 4 ASP, DivX, AVC/H.264, VC-1, WMV, H.263, MKV, TS, m2ts, MOV, AVI, FLV
Audio Formats Supported: MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC, ALAC, APE, AAC, AC-D, DTS, RealAudio

I will use this box as my 2nd XBMC client, for my bedroom, connected to my Synology NAS. So if it doesn't have all the latest/greatest audio codecs, I'm fine as long as the box can downmix it to stereo.

However, I think I will wait for their dual core box (ATV1600) which for sure should use the Amlogic AML8726-MX (Linux kernel code already released) which will be MUCH better in the long run.

So, with the details above, what we still have as different in the Pivos XIOS DS? And, is there any plans to have a Pivos box, with composite video output? I want the CVBS output, so that I can hook it up to old TVs that doesn't have an HDMI input, when traveling to hotels, grandmas, etc... :-)

Thx everyone!

(2012-07-17, 02:15)Beer40oz Wrote: The on board 10/100 Ethernet does it really matter to you guys? it has no 1000....?

I know gigabit is not necessary for streaming but maybe it would of been nice.
Gigabit is completely unneeded for media streaming. Why waste cycles when you don't need to?
I do think that an optical out would have been nice.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XIOS PIVOS vs ATV20