• 141(current)
MediaElch - MediaManager for Mac/Linux/Win (with music library scraping)
It's a damn shame this project seems dead... all others i come across either:
    1) pay more attention to presentation than productivity. To explain this further They look pretty but in order to edit anything you have to open a new dialog/window. Some people might say that I'm lazy for wanting to be able to be able to edit my metadata in main window of the GUI, but it's not a matter of laziness its a matter of productivity, I'd rather be able to get more done faster than to have something pretty to look at. MediaElch was good at productivity AND it was a pleasing visual experience.
   2) Are too busy (I'm looking at you Media Companion), there's too much in your face most of which belongs in a separate dialog window (settings, not editing features) or menus... I'm sorry I just see those and my mind just ends up trailing off, and even sometimes if i manage to keep some errant detail of the user interface from sidetracking me, I get a physical headache cause my mind starts to thinking that because there's so much there on the screen there's so much to do. It doesn't really take that much in a window to edit a movie or tv show or episode... most of those media items only have about 6 fields you need to edit.
   3) Concentrate too much on internet functionality and gimp user edit functionality.
   4) Lack the ability to edit some features like actor images (you're up, tiny Media Manager).

To most people this isn't a problem, but I got nieces and nephew that since they got a 1080p video camera for Christmas last year, make their own home movies & TV Shows (My favorite is "The Stupid Show" which is their political commentary, for 10 years old to 14 years old their political insights are pretty astute) that I keep archived, in the same way as studio created movies and TV Shows. Not only that i mainly edit most of my studio created media manually anyway (with some assistance from the internet but only an initial pull, so my need for internet functionality is close to none, and my want for productivity, is immense.

The only problem i had with MediaElch is that its TV Shows Episodes had no tagging functionality. And that there is no install for Debian.

MediaElch didn't try to do to much and be too flashy, it was simple to configure and once configured that was put out of sight and out of mind. It didn't worry about being pretty but still managed to be nice to look at. And it was a project that put getting things done at the forefront of development and didn't get in its own way. I liked that, and if it's dead I'm sad to see it go.
(2017-12-27, 09:35)JeromyNix Wrote: It's a damn shame this project seems dead... all others i come across either:
    1) pay more attention to presentation than productivity. To explain this further They look pretty but in order to edit anything you have to open a new dialog/window. Some people might say that I'm lazy for wanting to be able to be able to edit my metadata in main window of the GUI, but it's not a matter of laziness its a matter of productivity, I'd rather be able to get more done faster than to have something pretty to look at. MediaElch was good at productivity AND it was a pleasing visual experience.

I agree mediaelch is awesome. I tried a few of the others and the layout is not as pleasing.

Sad to see it go at least it still works. I wonder if anyone tried contacting the author and asking him if he would open source the project so someone can keep it updated.
(2017-12-27, 15:21)the_bo Wrote:
(2017-12-27, 09:35)JeromyNix Wrote: It's a damn shame this project seems dead... all others i come across either:

I agree mediaelch is awesome. I tried a few of the others and the layout is not as pleasing.

Sad to see it go at least it still works. I wonder if anyone tried contacting the author and asking him if he would open source the project so someone can keep it updated.   
the source is on github HERE

While I do have some programing skills the Qt GUI framework is something i neither understand nor have the mental capacity to learn. And believe me I've tried several times.
(2017-12-27, 20:19)JeromyNix Wrote:
(2017-12-27, 15:21)the_bo Wrote:

the source is on github HERE

While I do have some programing skills the Qt GUI framework is something i neither understand nor have the mental capacity to learn. And believe me I've tried several times.

I haven't any programming skills either.

I noticed that the last commit was a month ago so hopefully he is still updating it.
(2017-12-27, 04:32)pht3k Wrote:
(2017-09-18, 14:59)calvin8714 Wrote:
(2017-09-18, 13:42)neoleo Wrote: Anyone knows where to download older versions of MediaElch? Last ver. 2.4.2 seems not to scrap music.

Things were changed on the music scraper side, so older versions wouldn't work either.   
There is a fix on the app forum webpage :
http://community.kvibes.de/topic/show/un...broken-fix
last release from the author is july 2016 so unfortunatly i dont have much hope to see a fixed rlz soon...
i did modified the files and spent much hours trying to figure how to make an .exe file from it
i tried many times and i still have an error while compiling... 
so i added the modified files on my website if someone here happens to be able to compile it :
http://www.physiotek.com/tmp/mediaelch-2.4.2b.zip 
 Yeah, the fixed ones are still nightly-only, which has a donator paywall.
Just finished fixing the music scraper and compiling from source (on Arch Linux). Edit: I'm finally finishing up my music library and noticed I was mistaken; you can scrape every artist (and album?) in one shot in MediaElch by going to "Music" and hit CTRL+A to highlight everything then scrape everything at once, which is very nice. Not much artwork was downloaded, but that's a fault of the scrapers, not MediaElch itself. Not sure it was worth the effort (because it took a long time for me to figure out when I could have just donated a few bucks to unlock the development version which I think has a fixed music scraper, it only works for a fraction of my library, and seems to require scraping 1 album at a time...for 100s of albums). And I do mean that in the nicest way possible, I genuinely think MediaElch is a fantastic program.

Basically I started by using gitclone (from the instructions for installing from source code on the download page), edited the UniversalMusicScraper.cpp file with the changes mentioned by garretn, then continued with the instructions (which are not so great for the ~new Linux users like myself).

Full Instructions/Terminal Commands (***for Arch Linux***)
1. Delete the current MediaElch installation (if applicable)
2. Download dependencies (if necessary). To do so, type the following in terminal:
sudo pacman -S libmediainfo qt5-declarative qt5-multimedia qt5-script
3. Download the modified UniversalMusicScraper.cpp file (from my dummy Yandex email file storage): https://yadi.sk/d/tVr3O_3L3S53Yt
4. Download the latest version of MediaElch from github. To do so, type the following in terminal:
git clone https://github.com/Komet/MediaElch.git
5. If the above step (#4) completed successfully, you now have the MediaElch files that you need to compile the program. They are (typically) located in your /home folder (/home/*YOUR NAME*/MediaElch). Navigate to your /home, find the MediaElch folder, then find the /scrapers folder. Paste the modified UniversalMusicScraper.cpp file in /scrapers, replacing the existing file
6. Now you must navigate to the same MediaElch folder (again, typically in /home/*YOUR NAME*/MediaElch) in your terminal.  There are multiple ways to do this, pick one of them:
     Option 1: Use terminal. Type the following in terminal:
cd MediaElch
     Option 2: Use your file manager (eg: Thunar, Dolphin, Konquerer, etc) right-click context menu. In the MediaElch folder, right click on a blank area. The context menu (a.k.a. right-click menu) pops up. Click on "Open Terminal Here."
7. If you did step #6 correctly, you should have the MediaElch folder open in terminal. Stay in that location for the last few steps. Do not close your terminal until the end. Type the following in terminal:
qmake
8. You should still have the MediaElch folder open in terminal. Type the following in terminal:
make
9. You should still have the MediaElch folder open in terminal. Type the following in terminal:
sudo make install
10. Let's see if it works. Type the following in terminal:
MediaElch
11. I hope it's working for you. You're done. You can close the terminal. (Note, as with many programs, the application shortcut(?) is located in /usr/bin/MediaElch).

Before anyone asks, I have no idea if the modified music scraper file works with other operating system versions of MediaElch. If anyone's using the modified scraper with success on Windows or Mac please let us know and thank garretn for his code.

If this is inappropriate to the mods, Komet, or garretn, let me know, I have no issue deleting (both this post and my local files).
so i got mideaelch because kodi for me missed a few artists in my music, so no fanart and wanted to see if it would help, well i set up the path to my music and when to scrape a folder i have, i tried many and nothing happened.... my structure is this....
(artist)paula abdul
....(album)spellbound
.......(song)rush rush
i try to scrape the artiest and nothing happened, what am i doing wrong?
i love kodi
(2018-02-17, 03:03)o0nightfire0o Wrote: so i got mideaelch because kodi for me missed a few artists in my music, so no fanart and wanted to see if it would help, well i set up the path to my music and when to scrape a folder i have, i tried many and nothing happened.... my structure is this....
(artist)paula abdul
....(album)spellbound
.......(song)rush rush
i try to scrape the artiest and nothing happened, what am i doing wrong?

The music scraper seems broken and the author of mediaelch unfortunately isn't updating it. Movie and TV show scrapers working ok.

A few posts back someone made a fix for the music.

Hope someone can continue maintaining this awesome program.
i dont understand steps 
6. Navigate to the install directory in terminal (right click, then "open terminal here", or, in terminal "cd MediaElch")
7. qmake
8. make
9. sudo make install
i love kodi
(2018-02-17, 16:13)o0nightfire0o Wrote: i dont understand steps 
6. Navigate to the install directory in terminal (right click, then "open terminal here", or, in terminal "cd MediaElch")
7. qmake
8. make
9. sudo make install
For the last few steps you need to navigate to the MediaElch folder (/home/*Your Name*/MediaElch) in your terminal. Once there, individually, run the following commands: "qmake" then "make" then "sudo make install."
 I updated the directions in my previous post to be more thorough and, I hope, easier to understand. If you have further questions, just let me know.
Any instructions on how to compile on windows
I didn't get MediaElch to compile on Windows either. Komet (MediaElch developer) himself uses mxe on Linux to create Windows binaries.
I want to add a "build documentation" to the project which you can view here: https://github.com/Komet/MediaElch/pull/382 The GitHub pull request still needs a lot of work but I will look into it again next week. I'll keep you updated on this :-)

The next MediaElch version will also include a lot of fixes for many scrapers.

Regards,
Andre
Just upgraded to Ubuntu 18.04 and tried to install MediaElch. Unfortunately it depends on libcurl3 and that is not going to be installed. Anyone any tips?
Quote:sudo apt -f install mediaelch
[sudo] password for *******************:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 mediaelch : Depends: libcurl3 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

If I try to install LibCurl3 the system indicates it will remove ClamAV and LibCurl4. Not what I want to happen.

Hope you can help me.

TIA
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
Thanks for reporting this.
There is currently no official (Launchpad) repository that supports Ubuntu 18.04.

What you can do is to compile MediaElch by yourself. Here are the build instructions for Ubuntu 18.04:

Ubuntu 18.04
Dependencies
bash:
# Modern GCC:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-toolchain-r/test
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install g++-7 gcc-7
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/gcc gcc /usr/bin/gcc-7 90
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/g++ g++ /usr/bin/g++-7 90

# Build tools and other libraries
sudo apt install build-essential git libcurl4-openssl-dev
sudo apt install libmediainfo-dev

# Qt (alternative: download and install Qt from its official website)
sudo apt install qt5-default qtmultimedia5-dev qtscript5-dev qtdeclarative5-dev

Build
bash:
git clone https://github.com/Komet/MediaElch.git && cd MediaElch
mkdir build && cd $_
qmake ..
make -j4
sudo make install

This will install all dependencies, download the MediaElch source code from GitHub, build MediaElch and install it to "/usr/bin/MediaElch".
Note that "make -j4" will take between 5 and 20min depending on your PC.

Regards,
Andre
Hi Andre,

Tx for your reply. I followed your instructions and I ran into an error on the last step. This is the output of the error:
Quote:***********@Ubuntu-LTS:~/MediaElch/build$ make install
/usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -install qinstall -exe MediaElch /usr/bin/MediaElch
Error copying MediaElch to /usr/bin/MediaElch: Cannot create /usr/bin/MediaElch for output
Makefile:12029: recipe for target 'install_target' failed
make: [install_target] Error 3 (ignored)
strip /usr/bin/MediaElch
strip: '/usr/bin/MediaElch': No such file
Makefile:12029: recipe for target 'install_target' failed
make: [install_target] Error 1 (ignored)
/usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -install qinstall /home/*****/MediaElch/desktop/MediaElch.desktop /usr/share/applications/MediaElch.desktop
Error copying /home/*****/MediaElch/desktop/MediaElch.desktop to /usr/share/applications/MediaElch.desktop: Cannot create /usr/share/applications/MediaElch.desktop for output
Makefile:12039: recipe for target 'install_dotDesktop' failed
make: [install_dotDesktop] Error 3 (ignored)
/usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -install qinstall /home/*****/MediaElch/desktop/MediaElch.png /usr/share/pixmaps/MediaElch.png
Error copying /home/*****/MediaElch/desktop/MediaElch.png to /usr/share/pixmaps/MediaElch.png: Cannot create /usr/share/pixmaps/MediaElch.png for output
Makefile:12048: recipe for target 'install_icon' failed
make: [install_icon] Error 3 (ignored)
I encountered no errors in the previous steps (well... not as far as I could see, that is)

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Greetz,

Sjonnie
MiBox running KODI app (latest)
Synology DS215+ - 8+6 TB | Synology DS211 - 4+4 TB - No RAID | Homebrew server Ubuntu server - 10 TB - LVM | Ubuntu Server 18.04.01 -10 TB - RAID5
Philips 50PFK5300 | Sony HT-XT100 Soundplate
Scanning my media with MediaElch
  • 141(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaElch - MediaManager for Mac/Linux/Win (with music library scraping)9