MediaElch - MediaManager for Mac/Linux/Win (with music library scraping)
(2014-06-13, 17:33)Powerhouse Wrote: Actually Music Videos and Concerts are two different things. As you even pointed out, a Queen Concert DVD is not really a Music Video, it is more like a Movie.

Music Videos are like what you would watch on MTV (back in the day) or on VH1. They are a short (2-5 minutes typically), and are a single song from an album. On the other hand, Concerts are just that, usually over an hour, mostly live, and usually cover an entire album or various hit songs from a group.

As an example, Queen the Legendary Concert http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkekgF8gZpE
and Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody Music Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ9rUzIMcZQ

You can scrap the Queen the Legendary Concert in MediaElch (through TMDB http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/251201-q...75-concert), but you can't scrap Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody in MediaElch. You can however, use the XBMC built in Music Video scrapper (TheAudioDB.com) for Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody (http://theaudiodb.com/album/2116679), but not the Legendary Concert.

As for Artwork, Music Videos actually do share the same Artist artwork as the Music Library (from my findings). For Fanarts, I would guess, as listed above, to use fanart.tv, or perhaps several different ones.

This is a little misleading.

Music Videos are simply a Video type. Fundamentally they are videos (not music) in the eyes of XBMC.
Originally, Music Videos was envisaged as being for video singles (a la MTV), but many XBMC users had music concert DVDs / music documentaries etc that could never be found on video single scrapers.
The XBMC flaw with music videos is that the initial assumption of them being video singles didn't quite fit with many users who had concert DVDs etc and no way to scrape them.

At this juncture, SOME XBMC users would just treat their Music Concert DVDs as a movies (and define them as a movie with a movie NFO file). This kinda worked reasonably well, but there were not scraping site (so data was entered manually).

Sadly, because there were no music video sites that allowed users to upload metadata, and MTV style sites were only related to music video singles, the movie sites (like TMDB) started to take music DVD contributions from users. This was really just a workaround, but came with the caveat that Music DVDs were treated as movies. This was not ideal, but was the only workaround in the absence of any proper Music Video sites.
This provided a way to scrape music DVDs / Documentaries - providing users had contributed the data for that DVD.
This 'solution' forced a lot of XBMC users into declaring Music DVD's as movies. That's ok for some, and not ok for other users.

In summary, Music Concert DVD's fell into a black hole. They weren't really catered for in XBMC, and there were no sites to scrape from.
Eventually, the likes of TMDB added them (as an afterthought, years after movies).

Essentially Music Videos is a mess - reflected in the lack of support for them in almost all tools, and users are creating workarounds in whatever way they can.
The early premise of Music Videos being for MTV style single song videos has long gone. Many users are using Music Videos to handle concerts (and it works perfectly well).

Now, onto the artwork.

For a music video artist, XBMC will fall back to using artwork from the same music (audio) artist (e.g. if you don't specify artwork for you Queen music video, XBMC will use Queen music artwork). However, this is user choice. You CAN specify different artwork (thumb and fanart) PER music video. Which is why I raised the point that you can't assume every user will just want to use the same (shared) artwork between music and music videos for the same artist.

The whole Music Video situation is confused (and always has been) which is why so few tools handle it well, and so few servers exist for scrapers to download from.
But one thing is for sure - you can't assume every user will use it quite the same way.

For the record, my Music Videos are concert DVD / Documentary types. I simply have to complete the NFO files manually - which is why I'd welcome a simple and effective music video handler in ME, without it making too many assumptions about the relationship to music (audio) artwork.

Messages In This Thread
MediaElch - Any IMDB issues? - by czfj5r - 2013-02-25, 22:26
RE: MediaElch - Any IMDB issues? - by Komet - 2013-02-26, 13:17
Slow Performance & Crashing - by kalhua - 2013-02-26, 02:09
Movie Sets artwork problem - by joshjn - 2013-10-01, 16:40
Automatic Title Search and Scrape - by cfm56 - 2014-01-11, 15:49
RE: MediaElch - MediaManager for Mac/Linux/Win - by AnalogKid - 2014-06-15, 18:54
Certification - by jockbond - 2015-03-19, 15:35
Search Box - by jockbond - 2015-03-19, 16:50
File/Folder renaming - by jockbond - 2015-03-19, 20:39
MediaElch & Music Scraping - by niksimpson - 2016-05-12, 15:25
Corrupted Install? - by wisnoskij - 2019-07-03, 15:50
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MediaElch - MediaManager for Mac/Linux/Win (with music library scraping)9