"output stereo to all speakers" on video. broken?
i've just built the latest cvs code (22/7/05, approx 18:00pm, full delete of tdata/udata settings).. it's been around 2 weeks since i last built, and i'm pretty sure that - at some point in the last 6 months - the following worked, so here goes...

in 'configure audio hardware' i have the audio output set to 'digital' (as i've got a dd/dts amp)

in video settings, i have 'output stereo to all speakers" turned on, as when i don't have my amp on, i like to listen to some audio through my tv (via a scart a/v pack).

when i play back a video with ac3 audio, i don't get any audio routed via stereo outputs (so my tv sits there silently). if i turn on my amp, i get the full ac3 audio as expected.

am i alone in either expecting 'output stereo to all speakers' to have some effect here? or is something wrong?

as i said, i could have sworn this worked at some point.. Huh

cheers,
arnie
output stereo to all speakers does exactly what it says it does.

it takes a stereo source, and encodes it to ac3 so that the stereo data is distributed around the 6 channels.

it has nothing to do with analog and or digital outputs.

if the source is full ac3 (ie 6 channels) it is not stereo and will not be effected by otas and will be passthroughed. you won't get anything on the analog output.

if the source is stereo ac3 (or stereo mp3 or whatever) then otas will effect it - on the digital output you will get 6 channels (the 2 channels repeated/merged across all 6). on the analog output i think (but cannot confirm) you will get the stereo feed.

this is the way it was designed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

thanks for clearing that up, jonathan.. rather handily, i can just temporarily change my audio output to 'analog' when i need to listen to ac3 5.1 stuff through a stereo source... so all is good.

just thought i'd ask though, rather than post an invalid bug report.

cheers,
arnie

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"output stereo to all speakers" on video. broken?0