A Couple Usenet Questions
Hey guys, so I've been a Usenet subscriber with Astraweb for 1-2 months now and I've set up SABnzbd+, Sick Beard, Headphones, and Couch Potato using the awesome guide here on the forums.

So here are my questions:
1. What, in your opinion is the best NZB site for downloading old and new TV Shows?
What do y'all use? And what TV Shows do y'all download? I have NZBmatrix right now and it's working great but I am trying to download the first few of season of South Park and Two And A Half Men in 720p. It will download some but now all the episodes. Also, Sick Beard will send NZBs that fail. I look on the site and the episode is the only one on the site so I am missing that episode. I do not mind if there is a fee to join the site!

2. How do y'all build up your libraries of movies/tv shows so big?
Is there some way that you can set to automatically download new popular movies or something? Like top 10/100/etc. of IMDB?

Please Help! Thanks in advance!
I'm a new usenet user as well. It seems the older tv episodes are subject to failure because of the retention period. I've noticed that when I start coming within a couple hundred days of the retention rate, the possibility of failure is high! It's just not able to find those repair blocks for some reason. I'm using NZBmatrix too. I try to stick to around 1000 days for the retention date. Nothing's failed on me at that area...
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-07-27, 23:38)thrak76 Wrote: I'm a new usenet user as well. It seems the older tv episodes are subject to failure because of the retention period. I've noticed that when I start coming within a couple hundred days of the retention rate, the possibility of failure is high! It's just not able to find those repair blocks for some reason. I'm using NZBmatrix too. I try to stick to around 1000 days for the retention date. Nothing's failed on me at that area...

Yeah, but sometimes there is only one option for the TV Show, so you have no choice. I'm wondering what other NZB sites I could use to possibly get my missing episodes.
I used Astraweb for ages but recently had trouble getting older shows so I gave UseNetServer a go and had no problem getting the ones that weren't complete on Astraweb. Plus it's cheaper.
(2012-07-28, 00:01)Hitcher Wrote: I used Astraweb for ages but recently had trouble getting older shows so I gave UseNetServer a go and had no problem getting the ones that weren't complete on Astraweb. Plus it's cheaper.

Well it probably wouldn't be cheaper for me because I have the 3 months for $20. It does have a limited download speed but it still maxes out my internet speed. I didn't realize that the different servers make a difference on NZBs failing or succeeding.
I'm using blocknews right now because I wanted to try out usenet before signing up for a subscription. Judging the by the connection status in sabnzbd, blocknews uses the astraweb servers. When I use up the block i purchased I'll probably give another service a try. I'll use your referral link Hitcher if I go with UsenetServer (which was high on the list anyways).
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
I'd been using Astraweb for the past 5 years and they've just had too many problems lately, so I finally made the switch. I signed up with Thundernews and have been very happy. (http://www.thundernews.com/)
I also bought a 200GB block from blocknews (http://blocknews.net/) that helps with the repair/failed/missing files.
NZBMatrix is the way to go as far as nzb sites.
(2012-07-28, 01:22)Aenima99x Wrote: I'd been using Astraweb for the past 5 years and they've just had too many problems lately, so I finally made the switch. I signed up with Thundernews and have been very happy. (http://www.thundernews.com/)
I also bought a 200GB block from blocknews (http://blocknews.net/) that helps with the repair/failed/missing files.

Very interesting points here in this forum. I am also a long-time user of astraweb and have some files failing on me. This happens although I also have a few gigs from blocknews and set it up as backup server. Still, some files fail on me.

Will moving away from astraweb indeed make things better? I thought that my combo of astra/block should be rather "good"?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
OK, some of this answers my first question! Thank you guys for responding!

Do you guys know the answer to my 2nd question?

Your second question would be better received on xbmchub.
Where on those forums would you suggest me ask... It doesn't seem like there are a ton of people on there.
I don't really visit that forum, but i only suggest that site because of this thread.
Oh I see...
(2012-07-28, 04:17)steve1977 Wrote:
(2012-07-28, 01:22)Aenima99x Wrote: I'd been using Astraweb for the past 5 years and they've just had too many problems lately, so I finally made the switch. I signed up with Thundernews and have been very happy. (http://www.thundernews.com/)

Very interesting points here in this forum. I am also a long-time user of astraweb and have some files failing on me. This happens although I also have a few gigs from blocknews and set it up as backup server. Still, some files fail on me.

Will moving away from astraweb indeed make things better? I thought that my combo of astra/block should be rather "good"?

The astraweb/blocknews combo is good and should get you past most of the failures. I had just been seeing a lot of astraweb slowdowns and short outages lately and got tired of it.
Usenet is the best way to download these days especially if you hate having to upload (bittorrent). I suggest going with newshosting (coupon) for your usenet provider.

It seems like a lot of NZB sites are shutting down recently though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Couple Usenet Questions0