• 2(current)
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels
bleze, you need to be clearer in what you are posting (and therefore asking for assistance on)...

You will find that Dolby True HD can be decoded into LPCM but not DTS-HD MA (see this post for further information)...
vic, the topic of this thread is the fact that XBMC does not see the correct number of channels in the audio stream. That should not be affected by the hardware the movie is played back on (I'm using a range of hardware and a MySQL database).

I was not aware of XBMC not being able to decode DTS-MA HD. Thank you for pointing this out. In this case since I have turned off DTS-MA HD support in the XBMC settings (because of lack of hw support in the player), the DTS Core should be sent to the receiver I guess.

I'm not asking for assistance on anything. Just pointing out that XBMC does not seem to work correctly when detecting number of audio channels. Smile
On one post you say you're using XBMC Eden where there is no AE and thus no support for HD audio streams, and on the other one you said you disabled DTS-HD support capability in your settings (which is AE related). So which XBMC version are you using exactly? Pre-Frodo?
I'm using Eden but I've also tested if the problem existed in Frodo too, which it does. Of course Eden cannot transcode the HD tracks to LPCM, but it should still detect the number of audio channels correctly at least in Frodo.
bleze, I think that ffmpeg is reporting correctly as it cannot process the DTS-HD MA 7.1 stream as LPCM so is selecting the DTS Core (ie. 5.1) stream. Have you tried a Dolby True HD 7.1 stream as this can be decoded and played as LPCM to see if ffmpeg reports it as 7.1?
vic, I think that might be true, but XBMC should get ffmpeg to report correctly regardless if possible.

I'm not sure any of my Blu-rays are in 7.1 True HD, but I can have a look. It was just the one movie I knew was in 7.1 but was not aware of the decode limitation of DTS-MA at the time.
I own the Shrek the Third movie and it contains True HD 7.1 sound. XBMC sees this fine, so I guess only DTS-MA HD 7.1 is not detected properly.

Also tested DTS-HRA 7.1 and it is also wrongly detected as 5.1 channels.
(2012-08-04, 20:03)bleze Wrote: Output: My hardware is not capable of bitstreaming HD, but it is capable of playing 7.1 via LPCM.
This is your problem right here I believe.

My understanding is that AE can only bitstream (pass though) DTS-MA to a capable receiver which can then decode it, if your receiver is not DTS-MA capable then AE decodes to LPCM however it only decodes the DTS core 5.1 track, and this is why XBMC reports it as 5.1.

XBMC can't decode DTS-MA to LPCM as there is no open source decoder available to decode the full DTS-MA 7.1 audio to LPCM 7.1. If you look around at other software you'll find that what can decode DTS-MA to LPCM is either a commercial paid product, or makes use of the TMT decoder obtained via legally dubious means.

jjd-uk, but XBMC does not know that ALL my hardware is not able to bit stream 7.1. XBMC must detect all channels even if it cannot use it. At least it should only SHOW 5.1 on the hardware which cannot play back 7.1, because I might have other hardware in other rooms that can.
For example I currently have only one room with 7.1 setup, the two other rooms have 2.0 sound, but that does not make XBMC show all movies as 2.0.

So I will still claim that XBMC should show all 7.1 channels regardless of HW in the player scraping the movie file. Smile
bleze, rather than continuing this thread with what you think XBMC should or should not report and as it appears to be ffmpeg related why don't you raise this issue on the ffmpeg forums? You can report the bug here...
vic, because I think that XBMC is not using ffmpeg correctly to detect these channels, or perhaps not parsing result correctly. It might just be that XBMC is using an old version of ffmpeg and an upgrade will fix this issue or enable detection of all channels.
AFAIK ffmpeg can see all channels as it is now and there is work in progress on decoding DTS-MA too. Might solve itself in the future.
(2012-08-08, 14:53)bleze Wrote: jjd-uk, but XBMC does not know that ALL my hardware is not able to bit stream 7.1. XBMC must detect all channels even if it cannot use it. At least it should only SHOW 5.1 on the hardware which cannot play back 7.1, because I might have other hardware in other rooms that can.
For example I currently have only one room with 7.1 setup, the two other rooms have 2.0 sound, but that does not make XBMC show all movies as 2.0.

So I will still claim that XBMC should show all 7.1 channels regardless of HW in the player scraping the movie file. Smile
XBMC does indeed know exactly what your audio devices are capable of as they are polled when XBMC starts up, if you had debug mode on and looked at the start of the log you should see the audio devices being initialised by XBMC with all the relevant info such as channel count, file types supported etc, it's also not clear from any of your posting what builds of XBMC your using for testing so can't even be sure you're even using a build that includes the new AE code for audio.

What you have posted is how XBMC is reporting the channel count of the audio for that particular movie, as XBMC can only play the core DTS track which is 5.1 then I assume this is why 5.1 is shown even though the original track DTS-MA track is 7.1.
bleze - jjd-uk is correct, your xbmc.log will show you every thing that the XBMC Detects from your hardware. Here is a clip from my log.
Code:
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:     Device 4
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_displayName     : HDA NVidia
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_displayNameExtra: ABT DVDO EDGE on HDMI
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_channels        : FL,FR,LFE,FC,BL,BR,SL,SR
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
17:27:26 T:3008288576  NOTICE:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_AAC,AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_S16NE,AE_FMT_S16LE

You notice that it detects all available channels(m_channels) and all available audio formats(m_dataFormats) You will see that it correctly detects that my system does not use Dolby True HD or DTSHD-MA. vicbitter pointed out that DTSHD-MA needs needs to be bitstreamed since ffmpeg does not properly decode it yet(at least thats what I can find through google seaching) So XBMC is properly doing what it needs to do is to decode the DTS Core track since your hardware properly handles it and it decodes is properly, as a 5.1 source, it's up to your receiver to make up the rest of the channels.
giftie, yes of course I will only be able to play back the core part as long as I have no bit streaming support in my hardware. This is besides my point as XBMC should detect all channels regardless of what hardware will be used for playback.
My PC where I scrape all movies they are detected as 5.1 and 7.1 just fine even if I can only playback 2.0 here.
I think we are off the topic you started...

You`re not wondering why XBMC is not playing the 7.1 track, you are wondering why it doesn`t report it as 7.1, correct?

The log part you are showing is based on playback, I believe XBMC uses another method to get the Audio tracks. Your MyMoviesXX.db will show what XBMC detects as the Audio Channels for a given movie:

Here you will see that XBMC knows that there is 8 channels(7.1)

(2012-08-03, 17:44)bleze Wrote: Movie is Kick-Ass with DTS-HD 7.1 sound. Ripped from Blu-ray to MKV without transcoding video nor audio.

MediaInfo reports:

Code:
Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Duration                                 : 1h 57mn
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 3 349 Kbps / 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 8 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Title                                    : Lossless
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

XBMC reports:

Code:
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]: Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'nfs://192.168.1.10/volume2/Video/Movies/Adults/Kick-Ass (2010)/Kick-Ass.2010.1080p.DTS-HD.h264.mkv':
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:   Duration: 01:57:12.58, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 33754 kb/s
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264 (High), yuv420p, 1920x1080 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 24 fps, 24 tbr, 1k tbn, 48 tbc
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: dca (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 1536 kb/s
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Metadata:
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:       title           : Lossless
17:35:54 T:4252    INFO: ffmpeg[109C]:     Stream #0.2(dan): Subtitle: pgssub

Bug or missing feature in ffmpeg that it only sees it as 5.1 when it is in fact 7.1?

Problem exist in both Frodo and Eden.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels1