• 3(current)
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels
Im not off topic and yes Im talking about detection of channels and not playback of these which is another topic.

My log is not based on playback but on xbmc's initial scraping of the movie where it extracts the thumbnail and info about content of mkv container when adding movie to library. This is visible if debug logging is enabled.
By 'we' I meant everyone else, as you notice all of us(except you) were talking about playback.. Smile

I just went through my library and you are quite correct.. XBMC does not report back that there is actually 7.1 audio track available when there is a DTSHD-MA 7.1 track, even though there is one that does exist. XBMC is definitely missing a proper way to pull the AudioStream from a video file. This may change when FFMPEG properly handles DTSHD-MA.

Sorry for the frustration...
DTS 7.1 decoding is not supported by ffmpeg, no questions. If you want 7.1 DTS-MA you need to use passthrough, not LPCM.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif, I know this now. But I still think that XBMC should detect that there are 7.1 channels and not 5.1 - even if it cannot decode it to LPCM. ffmpeg seems to be working on decoding DTS HD, so maybe some day in the near future we will have DTS-HD to LPCM in XBMC.

The open-source MediaInfo can detect all channels and way more... http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en
(2012-08-15, 08:45)bleze Wrote: gnif, I know this now. But I still think that XBMC should detect that there are 7.1 channels and not 5.1 - even if it cannot decode it to LPCM. ffmpeg seems to be working on decoding DTS HD, so maybe some day in the near future we will have DTS-HD to LPCM in XBMC.

The open-source MediaInfo can detect all channels and way more... http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I would also like to see XBMC detect/report 7.1 channels for DTS-MA tracks. It only seems to indicate the core 5.1 track when reporting meta info for a movie file.
Any upcoming news about detecting/reporting 7.1?
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro - Onkyo TX-NR696 - LG OLED 65B9 - DS411J - SMB server@win10
Maybe with the new ffmpeg version (1.1) after frodo, since one point of its changelog (http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=...=Changelog ) is
Quote:- DTS-HD demuxer

EDIT:

I compared the output of an old version and a new one. It seems that channel count of DTS-HD MA tracks is still wrong.

DTS-HD MA
Quote:ffmpeg version 0.10.2.git Copyright © 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers built on May 29 2012 15:55:23 with gcc 4.5.3
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s
Quote:ffmpeg version N-49069-gc74d465 Copyright © 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers built on Jan 20 2013 23:39:19 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s

DTS-HD HRA
Quote:ffmpeg version 0.10.2.git Copyright © 2000-2012 the FFmpeg developers built on May 29 2012 15:55:23 with gcc 4.5.3
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD HRA) ([133][0][0][0] / 0x0085), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s
Quote:ffmpeg version N-49069-gc74d465 Copyright © 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers built on Jan 20 2013 23:39:19 with gcc 4.7.2 (GCC)
Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD HRA) ([133][0][0][0] / 0x0085), 48000 Hz, 7.1, fltp, 1536 kb/s

hi

old thread; but for those still interested , i just submitted a patch that correctly detect channels / resolution and sampling rate for dts-hd ma :
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/4586

Regards
malosasha, thanks a lot Smile hopefully this (hack?) will be included in XBMC until ffmpeg has a proper implementation
bleze i guess not in the upcoming days/weeks/month .. ; you need to compil your own xbmc with the patch applied; so not suitable for everybody
Im using it at home; so if it breaks anything in the future i will keep it updated until it is merged or another solution is found.

For internals ; this patch has its own dts -hd ma frame header parser . So when a dts-hd ma frame is detected it will parse the header / extract the channel (and other info) and expose this value to the skin and in the db.
Sadly, as expected, Gotham Final does NOT include correct labeling of 7.1 DTS HD-MA movies. It still says 5.1 for 7.1 movies. Someone was nice enough to provide a patch for them to include and they decided they'd rather have Gotham BROKEN and just blame it all on ffmpeg instead (which may never get fixed in my lifetime). You'd think we could have XBMC patched to read it correctly in the mean time, but I guess broken is preferable.... (sigh).

Anyone have an OSX compiled version with the patch applied? I'm not set up for compiling my own software on my Mac. It's one of the reasons I bought a Mac instead of a Linux box so I wouldn't have to compile all my own software to make something work.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
aha - ranting and wanting someone to go through the dirt of compiling - yeah that sounds like the correct approach to get things done... - got any real problems beside this cosmetic pussy shit?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Quote:aha - ranting and wanting someone to go through the dirt of compiling - yeah that sounds like the correct approach to get things done... - got any real problems beside this cosmetic pussy shit?

Cosmetic pussy shit? WTF? Oo

Yeah, you gotta love when developers can't handle negative feedback. Frankly, I don't know why you're subscribed to a thread about 'cosmetic pussy shit.' The sycophant posts are in the release thread, not here.

I guess I'm just disappointed a patch was freely provided and simply not used because developers think it worthless/pointless 'cosmetic pussy shit' to correctly report the movie soundtrack type contained in a file and prefer to leave it wrong than to just cut/paste the provided patch for now until ffmpeg is fixed.

The correct approach to get things done? WTF would that be when providing source code patches isn't enough? Bribery? Everybody bake their own?

Frankly, I see little difference between Gotham and Frodo for my uses (not using Android so things like hardware decoding there don't catch my interest). Other than being able to read DTS in a M4V file, I don't see that much difference between Gotham and Eden for that matter. I'm sure you do, but I'm just a user looking to play my media library remotely, not use it as a PVR for online video, etc. Organizational improvements like tag reading for video files and/or sort by GENRE would add far far more to XBMC's functionality as a replacement for Apple's own ATV interface than new preference settings (which sounds cosmetic to me). Frankly, I think it would be easier to convince Apple to support 3rd party plugin formats for iTunes/ATV than to get useful new organizational features in XBMC since clearly your developers have no interest in 'cosmetic pussy shit' features. Yes, wading through countless pages of alphabetical listings for 8000+ songs and 1000+ movies instead of genre categorization to break it down further is for manly men! Oo

My issues is NO media player does everything right. Apple has the interface I like for movies, but won't play all my media files (so I can convert and lose quality or use something else like XBMC). XBMC has a nice TV listing (assuming your files are named so the scraper can read them since there's no tagging), but renaming 1000+ movies that are already tagged is too much bother so I exit and use ATV's interface (although that means unplugging a drive and rebooting
with a CrystalHD ATV and losing 1080p support on it (thus requiring either a 2nd ATV model 3 or just browsing through pages and pages of file names instead). Supporting 7.1 sound is sweet for my 7.1 Blu-Ray conversions, but I have to keep a list of which are which or put them in their own directory since they don't display 7.1 in the movie listings (yeah that cosmetic pussy shit problem). I know now that organizational functionality is cosmetic pussy shit so I won't waste my breath in the future. Yes, if I want to learn how to code and spend my weekends programming, I could probably add those features myself for my own copy. I'll keep that in mind.

I'll go now since obviously I'm wasting both my time and yours.
THEATER: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Mixed Dialog Lift  - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S (ZDMC), LD, GameCube
(2014-06-09, 03:47)VonMagnum Wrote:
Quote:aha - ranting and wanting someone to go through the dirt of compiling - yeah that sounds like the correct approach to get things done... - got any real problems beside this cosmetic pussy shit?

Cosmetic pussy shit? WTF? Oo

Yeah, you gotta love when developers can't handle negative feedback. Frankly, I don't know why you're subscribed to a thread about 'cosmetic pussy shit.' The sycophant posts are in the release thread, not here.
We can take negative criticism just fine, what we can take issue with is people's tone and frankly yours is rather dismissive of the hard work put in by the dev's for free. You used the the word BROKEN which is a complete over reaction to a minor cosmetic issue, in no way does this mean Gotham is broken, in fact Gotham is probably the best & most stable release we've done.

The patch was provided on Github on the 22nd April which was after the release of Beta 4, while in Beta phase only bugs fixes for playback issues or anything that would majorly affect the user experience, the same goes for the point releases since. This is not even a bug as ffmpeg is behaving exactly the way it was designed.

You've also clearly not read Github either where there are code concerns, we could patch XBMC but every new patch complicates the XBMC code, we prefer this sort of patch to done submitted directly to the dev's of the relevant library (in this case ffmpeg) we so don't have to carry custom patches, plus everyone in the open source community then benefits.
(2014-06-09, 03:47)VonMagnum Wrote: Organizational improvements like tag reading for video files and/or sort by GENRE

since there's no tagging

but I have to keep a list of which are which or put them in their own directory since they don't display 7.1 in the movie listings (yeah that cosmetic pussy shit problem)

a) do you seriously pick a movie to watch by the number of audio channels in the stream?

b) http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Video_library_tags
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DTS-HD 7.1 only detected as 5.1 channels1