Smb network share
Thumbs Up 
hi,

i have xbmc build xbmc-2005-05-02 and i am trying to setup smb. at the moment i have xbox connected to same adsl router than pc. ftp works perfectly. in pc i have shared a couple of folders. in xboxmediacenter.xml i have tried two different ways both with no succeess.

errors from xbmc.log file:

smbdirectory->getdirectory: unable to open directory : 'smb://x.x.x.x/movies/'
unix_err:'2' nt_err : 'c0000022' error : 'access denied'

smbdirectory->getdirectory: unable to open directory : 'smb://user:[email protected]/movies/'
unix_err:'16' nt_err : 'c0000008' error : 'invalid handle'

i have no idea how to solve the problem. any help is appreciated :help:
next time, try the manual at http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de.

regardless, look thru this information first. and then report back what you've tried.

http://manual.xboxmediacenter.de/wakka.p...mba&v=196f
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Sad 
this is the next time. i have read manuals but no.

xbox is in address 84.230.x.x and pc in 80.186.x.x. and both are connected to adsl router. could this means that i need to buy second network card to pc which i can configure manually to same ip space?
(naatta @ july 28 2005,22:19 Wrote:this is the next time. i have read manuals but no.

xbox is in address 84.230.x.x and pc in 80.186.x.x. and both are connected to adsl router. could this means that i need to buy second network card to pc which i can configure manually to same ip space?
you need to check those addresses. those addresses aren't even in the same subnet, which would explain why they aren't communicating with each other.
it looks like your isp hands you out public ip addresses. not the best idea if your not running servers ie ftp, www, sql etc..

i very much doubt your xbox can see the internet either.

you need to reconfigure your network.
Sad 
one step closer but not yet there Smile

i changed the configuration:
pc 192.168.0.2
xbox 192.168.0.3
now they are in same subnet.

ping and ftp are working.

i have set four shares in my pc with full control to everyone
-pictures
-movies
-music
-files

with a bookmark <path>smb://user:[email protected]/</path> i can see in xbox a share list (4 items). if i select e.g. pictures i get nothing on screen and following error into log

Quote: 30-07-2005 23:15:07 error smbdirectory->getdirectory: unable to open directory : 'smb://user:[email protected]/pictures/'
unix_err:'16' nt_err : 'c0000008' error : 'invalid handle'

same applies if set bookmark path directly to smb://user:[email protected]/pictures

still need some :help:
hello there, first post here.

i did not want to open a new thread on this very same issue. i do not have the exact same problem as the op, however. i may have some suggestions, though. first of all, check the network configuration, ideally you would be able to asign a name to your machine when configuring windows networking (from mycomputer properties) to be able to asign workgroup and pc name. those will be used by smb to find your computer, eliminating the ncesity of a statically configured ip address for your comuters. that way only puttin in your .xml config smb://pcname/share will suffice for the xbox to find the pc you want to access... typically routers use dhcp to asign dynamic addresses, and to some extent you are able to manipulate the range of such addresses, so as you've done, just make sure both your pc and the xbox are in the same subnetwork.

my problem, however is a bit different, but relates much to this same problem. i would like to be able to access shares in a whole work group. currently if i specify my workgroup (something like smb://workgroup) i'm able to see the computers in the group, but i'm unable to access the shares on the servers in the group. some shares of those servers require username and password (active authentication) for someone to be able to see them (rw rights), and there's the shares for media files which are accessible to anyone, but read only (ro). now the problem i have is that when i try to access the shares in either server beloging to the group (which can be seen), i can't see the shares (the browser goes back to the devices and network "window"). i wonder why this problem occurs, i'd like to be able to access media shares from the xbox from any computer that may connect to the group (for instance a friend's laptop, or whatnot). i don't know what version of xbmc i have, i'll try to check (where do i see that, btw?)

tia.
Sad 
thanks. i will change static ip as soon as i get this working. i just want to do it as simple as possible.

btw i have windows2000 in my pc. does anyone have same configuration and working network share? i know you are somewhere here. please just walk me through :bowdown:
hello there... well... i do have a working configuration, but not as i would like it to :d

at any rate, this is what i'm using in my network: two linux pcs acting as the actual servers (my own desktop computer and the home's server), and a bunch of ther windows based pcs acting as clients and servers (the rest of the family's computers).

well, to configure your computer you will need to change your workgroup and give your computer a name. from the contextual menu that opens when you right-click on mycomputer, select properties, there you should go to the right tab there (sorry i do not have a windows computer handy to tell you exactly where). once you asign a workgroup (it must not contain spaces, but can have underscores _ and dots .) and a pc name, you will be prompted to reboot. do so.

when you log back in, you should be able to browse the network neighborhood and see your computer as one in the workgroup you selected (unless you have more computers in that very same workgroup, you'll only see your pc there). if you try to browse, you should see the shares you've specified. if you haven't done so, all you need to do is to make go to the folder(s) you would like to share, rightclick on them and either in the menu (i don't exactly remember, since i often get xp and 2k mixed) or the properties window you should be able to share the folder and set the policy under which you would like to share it (read-only or full access, i strongly recommend read-only).

once you can browse your smb shares locally, you may want to turn your attention to your router (if you want to use dhcp dynamically asigned addresses) and configure your ip range and subnetwork. this configuration is highly dependant on your router brand and model, so check its documentation!! once you have that in place, you should be able to configure the .xml file of the xbox (with an ftp client download it to your desktop and edit the file with notepad) and point the smb share to your computer, you may: smb://computername, making sure the name is the one you asigned in the network configuration from mycomputer properties. if you leave it like that, you'll be able to see all the shares, but you may not access all of them, unless you have access set to everyone (read-only typically). here i get a bit mixed up, since in linux with samba you get to have much more control over how the shares behave... at any rate, you should be able to now browse your shares from the xbox to your pc. just make sure you've got the four smb:// entries in the .xml file in place.

hope this helps. i will have to go out for a bit, but will be back soon, should you have any trouble understanding what i just said, just ask, i'll have a win2k puter when i get back so i'll be able to guide you through step by step.
Sad 
i found an article you thetargos might be intrested of guides for xp sharing and setting up smb, for both the beginner and the pro

i followed that but i am still not getting my subfolders Shocked
scanning it right now... hope this addresses the workgroup/entire network issue i want to solve.
in my case the situation is much simpler... i can access all the shares i've got in my pc and other pcs (so long they're permissive in nature, i.e allow non authenticated viewing, but restricted to read-only status). i've made streamings, heck i've even got my dvd-rom shared over the network :d

the problem is that i can't seem to make xbmc interact in the network the way i'd like it to: in windows when you're in the network neighborhood, you can browse the shares that either have been visited through the workgroup, the entire network, or added through the add network share wizard. i'd like to be able to have the same functionality in xbmc, but instead of hardcoding the share to only one computer, to the same possibilities as a usual pc has. that's why i wanted to default to the equivalent to entire network of windows, so the xbox can see any computer attached to the local network, independently of the workgroup, since it would be expected that if someone brings his/her computer to my home, they'd have their computer configured for another workgroup different than mine, and as such the xbox would still be able to browse those shares despite that fact.
Thumbs Up 
believe or not. i made it :kickass: and here is the success story for other noobs.

originally i had following configuration:
- adsl router (enabling internet connection)
- pc with one nic (via vt6102 rhine ii fast ethernet adapter) and windows 2000 sp3
- xbox 1.1 with solderless sp.ice, x2 5035 as bios, xbmc build 2005-05-02
- both pc and xbox were connected to router and router to internet

1) no matter what i did in xboxmediacenter.xml, with or without router i couldn't get smb network share to work. i followed every details in guides for xp sharing and setting up smb, for both the beginner and pro but no. actually it's a good idea to leave "everyone" with full control to shared folder until you are absolutely sure everything works fine. afterwards it can be removed.

2) in "my computer - manage - system tools - shared folders - shares" i saw my shares perfectly. but if i tried to add network places from "my network places - add network places" i got following error: the network place could not be added because the following error has occured: the network path was not found. i tried to browse "my network places - entire network - microsoft windows network - workgroup" and got an error:workgroup is not accessible. the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

3) at this point i was really frustrated. i went to shop and bought second nic (realtek rtl8139/810x family fast ethernet nic). i installed card and drivers which came with card. at first try nothing seems to work. both nic's were enabled, didn't have any hardware conflicts but no network or internet access. i took second nic off and uninstalled just installed drivers and all others old/hidden network hardware drivers "start - settings - control panel - add/remove hardware". just be carefully when you do that. if you don't know how to do it don't do it.

4) second time i took a fresh start and installed card again to different pci slot with latest drivers from realtek. i followed excellent instructions from microsoft ics - internet connection sharing one of the key steps was install netbeui protocol to second nic (i don't know why i was missed that in first place. i think that was reason for step 2 errors) now xbox was connected to second nic and first nic was connected to router and router to internet. i changed workgroup name to mygroup. i was able to browse in pc e.g. "my network places - entire network - microsoft windows network - mygroup - movies" but got error: not enough server storage is available to process this command.

5) luckily i found explanation from not enough server storage and changed irpstacksize from 11 to 15. i booted and no errors any more in pc side. i also updated sp4 but i am not sure has it any effect on this. anyway its good to run sp after hardware installation.

6) in xbox i did following changes to xboxmediacenter.xml

<samba>
<workgroup>mygroup</workgroup>
<winsserver>-</winsserver>
<debuglevel>0</debuglevel>
<defaultusername>xbox</defaultusername>
<defaultpassword>password</defaultpassword>
</samba>

<path>smb://xbox:[email protected]/movies</path>

i set xbmc to use dhcp (it got ip 192.168.0.54 from pc) and i saw rss feed again, browsing in my movies was success and i am happy happy man :-)

phiuuhh...that was a battle but i won. let's see who will win the war. there's still a lot things to do... :thumbsup:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Smb network share0