Trouble playing Win7-hosted files on atv2
This seems a not-so-uncommon problem, but maybe someone has some advice - I sure hope so anyway.

This iOS 5.x atv2 (running the newest nightly, but only to see if the exact same problem would change from when I had it on 11.0) is connected by ethernet to a router to stream from my Win7 machine. This same Win7 machine streams just fine to other Windows machines through SMB, FTP, or uPnP (I checked that every networking setting was identical inside of XBMC for the atv2 and my Windows laptop). Despite that, when I try to play videos off of the atv2, it starts for a second, tries to buffer or stalls, then stops trying and quits back to file menu of XBMC. When I connect through FTP instead of SMB, it does a similar thing, and when I look at the FTP server on my Win7 machine it shows the atv2 is only connecting at ~60 KB/s. To compare, my laptop via the same FTP server and user/pass goes about 1.2 MB/s.
I've tried turning off my Windows firewall entirely, I've tried making the registry changes in the FAQ and following the other "buffering issues" steps outlined there.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Log: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16402056/xbmc.log
This log shows me start XBMC, try to play a .mkv 720p file, try to play a .avi SD video, then quit. There are a number of errors I don't know what to make of.

If it's just general networking problems somehow, is there a good way to test if my firewall settings make any difference for the atv2 outside of xbmc?
Update: I have this mostly solved, thought I should put this here in case others google the same problem.

It is, unsurprisingly, a networking issue, and I still haven't 100% nailed down the exact cause. However, it's something to do with the ethernet controller properties on my Win7 machine - not the firewall, as I'd thought it must be. A wireless card works fine, for some reason. I'll edit this if I figure out the exact tweak to keep using the ethernet cord to the Win7 NAS.
Do both connections show as Private under Network and Sharing Center? It's odd for Windows to apply different restrictions to the interfaces without explicitly being directed to do so.
(2012-08-11, 03:02)berzerker Wrote: Update: I have this mostly solved, thought I should put this here in case others google the same problem.

It is, unsurprisingly, a networking issue, and I still haven't 100% nailed down the exact cause. However, it's something to do with the ethernet controller properties on my Win7 machine - not the firewall, as I'd thought it must be. A wireless card works fine, for some reason. I'll edit this if I figure out the exact tweak to keep using the ethernet cord to the Win7 NAS.

This seems daft, but I've had loads of issues with offloading settings on network cards - go into device manager and view the network adapter properties - ensure that any and all offload settings are disabled. it may or may not work for you but it's now something I always look at if I have network problems on windows pc's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Trouble playing Win7-hosted files on atv20