Win TV Shows Don't Have Seasons
I have tried numerous attempts at fixing this and finding a solution with no result. Here is a description of the problem I am having.

In the TV Shows section (Videos>> TV Shows, NOT Videos>> Files>> TV Shows) all my series show up nicely but that is where the problem lies, just the series, no seasons or episodes.

Please help me.
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

You will need to provide a lot more information before anyone is able to help you.
  • Have you read and followed the instructions in the wiki document on Adding videos to the library/Name files/TV shows?
  • Are your TV show files located on a local hard drive or on a file server?
  • How are your TV show files organized on your hard disk in terms of show/season directories?
  • How are your TV show and season directories named?
  • How are your TV show episide files named?
  • Which scraper did you specify when you scanned your TV show directories/files into your XBMC library?
  • Did you scan the files into your library?

(2012-08-12, 07:33)artrafael Wrote: Welcome to the XBMC forums.

You will need to provide a lot more information before anyone is able to help you.
  • Have you read and followed the instructions in the wiki document on Adding videos to the library/Name files/TV shows?
  • Are your TV show files located on a local hard drive or on a file server?
  • How are your TV show files organized on your hard disk in terms of show/season directories?
  • How are your TV show and season directories named?
  • How are your TV show episide files named?
  • Which scraper did you specify when you scanned your TV show directories/files into your XBMC library?
  • Did you scan the files into your library?

Yes
Local HDD
Organized in folders as follows: TV Shows>> Show Name>> Season>> Episode.mp4
Yes
The episode is named and the episode # has been tagged in MetaX
TheTVDB
Huh

Additional Info
The seasons show up in Files>> TV Shows, but not in direct >>TV Shows
Show us an actual naming scheme for one of your files.
Naming Scheme for American Dad! Season 1 Episode 1: "Pilot" that's it. The episode and season information is in the tags of the files, that is why I made them MP4.
(2012-08-12, 08:03)JamzKroll Wrote: Naming Scheme for American Dad! Season 1 Episode 1: "Pilot" that's it. The episode and season information is in the tags of the files, that is why I made them MP4.
Are you saying the actual filename of this episode is just Pilot.mp4? If so, that's not going to work for the scraper to try to identify the episode when adding these files to the library. The scraper doesn't read the internal tags; it relies on the filename.

Try American Dad!.s01e01.Pilot.mp4 for the filename of that episode, rescan into your library and see if it then appears under "TV Shows" from the main menu.

See the wiki page I posted above for information on file naming conventions to allow the scraper to work correctly.

To add: XBMC does not read mp4 meta tags.
(2012-08-12, 08:03)JamzKroll Wrote: Naming Scheme for American Dad! Season 1 Episode 1: "Pilot" that's it. The episode and season information is in the tags of the files, that is why I made them MP4.

Yep, that's it. That's why it doesn't work. A quick glance at the threads on the first couple pages will be enough to show you that XBMC has very specific naming requirements. If you follow these naming requirements, you'll never have a problem.

The alternative is that you could also create your own nfo files if you were somehow opposed to simply naming the files correctly.
So your telling me that XBMC is too stupid to read a simple tag file and folder structure? How stupid. Thanks for your help though, guess I just won't use XBMC, how stupid, I don't want a bunch of garbled up file names (S01E01EpisodeName) To unappealing. Thanks again for the help though.
i hear windows media player is looking for more users
(2012-08-12, 15:29)JamzKroll Wrote: So your telling me that XBMC is too stupid to read a simple tag file and folder structure? How stupid. Thanks for your help though, guess I just won't use XBMC, how stupid, I don't want a bunch of garbled up file names (S01E01EpisodeName) To unappealing. Thanks again for the help though.

Let me be among the first to say that is one of the silliest reasons not to use something that I've ever read. What do you care what the filename looks like? It's like not buying a pair of pants because you don't like what the inside of the pockets look like.
(2012-08-12, 15:29)JamzKroll Wrote: So your telling me that XBMC is too stupid to read a simple tag file and folder structure? How stupid. Thanks for your help though, guess I just won't use XBMC, how stupid, I don't want a bunch of garbled up file names (S01E01EpisodeName) To unappealing. Thanks again for the help though.
Er, the very first question I asked was: To which you answered, "Yes".

Which perplexes me since that document explicitly states how file should be named and organized in order for the scraper to work. And nowhere in that document does it state or imply that XBMC can read meta tags from mp4 files.

Very few media center applications read mp4 metadata. There's not a lot of motivation to add the feature which only works on a single file container, especially when most people are using MKV.
Wow.

XBMC may be a lot of things, but "stupid" is most definitely not one of those things.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-08-12, 15:47)gman3042 Wrote: i hear windows media player is looking for more users

Lol, nice one. I'll just use Windows Explorer + VLC. Thanks again
(2012-08-13, 07:30)thrak76 Wrote: Wow.

XBMC may be a lot of things, but "stupid" is most definitely not one of those things.

Not going to start a war over this, to each its own. I just think that any media player that can't read simple tags isn't really that... worthy, if you will.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Shows Don't Have Seasons0