Linux An internet Browser for XMBCbuntu
(2012-12-21, 18:50)Angelscry Wrote:
(2012-12-21, 18:43)sosaudio1 Wrote: Hey guys, I have a DVD ripper that runs in wine, is there a way to configure Advanced Launcher to start the wine app while in XBMC?
Wine command line may be :

Code:
wine "path_to_executable"

So you can create a stand alone launcher pointing to /usr/bin/wine and enter the your executable path as argument (between double quotes).

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!

so a snafu iI ran into while doing this.....

I set up advanced launcher to run Firefox but in the standalone xbmc, it starts and focus stays on xbmc not Firefox. So I have a Firefox window but no way to control it. I have also disabled the mouse so clicking on it is out of the question. Is there another way to gain focus of the browser, use keyboard and tab and enter to click links and then when finished, exit cleanly back to xbmc?
(2012-12-23, 01:26)sosaudio1 Wrote: so a snafu iI ran into while doing this.....

I set up advanced launcher to run Firefox but in the standalone xbmc, it starts and focus stays on xbmc not Firefox. So I have a Firefox window but no way to control it. I have also disabled the mouse so clicking on it is out of the question. Is there another way to gain focus of the browser, use keyboard and tab and enter to click links and then when finished, exit cleanly back to xbmc?
The problem is that you are using XBMCBuntu which is not fully compatible with the use of other applications than XBMC. Use XBMCBuntu with XBMC into standalone mode means that you start XBMC without running any desktop/windows manager at the same time.. But all the applications you want to launch (Firefox, Chormium, etc...) need to be started into a Desktop/windows manager environment to work correctly. They can be started without a Desktop/windows manager, but you will miss feature like display/move/reduce/close windows, switch windows/fullscreen, get focus, etc... All these features are managed by the Desktop/windows manager. So, actually you have 3 solutions :
  • Create/use scripts .sh that will start a light desktop/windows manager before starting applications in it. These scripts will also close the desktop/windows manager when the application will be closed, just before returning to XBMC.
  • Always start into XBMCBuntu (which use a Desktop/windows manager) and then automatically start XBMC. Then all the application will be started into the Desktop/windows manager environnment.
  • Use a non limited light linux distribution (like lubuntu, archlinux, gentoo, etc...) that will give you the entire control of your system (honestly my personnal choice).
(2012-12-23, 05:10)Angelscry Wrote:
(2012-12-23, 01:26)sosaudio1 Wrote: so a snafu iI ran into while doing this.....

The problem is that you are using XBMCBuntu which is not fully compatible with the use of other applications than XBMC. Use XBMCBuntu with XBMC into standalone mode means that you start XBMC without running any desktop/windows manager at the same time.. But all the applications you want to launch (Firefox, Chormium, etc...) need to be started into a Desktop/windows manager environment to work correctly. They can be started without a Desktop/windows manager, but you will miss feature like display/move/reduce/close windows, switch windows/fullscreen, get focus, etc... All these features are managed by the Desktop/windows manager. So, actually you have 3 solutions :
  • Create/use scripts .sh that will start a light desktop/windows manager before starting applications in it. These scripts will also close the desktop/windows manager when the application will be closed, just before returning to XBMC.
  • Always start into XBMCBuntu (which use a Desktop/windows manager) and then automatically start XBMC. Then all the application will be started into the Desktop/windows manager environnment.
  • Use a non limited light linux distribution (like lubuntu, archlinux, gentoo, etc...) that will give you the entire control of your system (honestly my personnal choice).

cool! Thanks! What I would really love is if we could get a browser that we could use inside xbmc. There is that one program add-on that is a text style browser that works.....sort of....but it would be nice to have just a standard browser...or browser engine inside of xbmc. Or if someone can build an add-on for Songza that would be awesome.
(2012-12-08, 16:26)rashid420 Wrote: If anyone is reading this...

I followed instructions. Am using latest Frodo Beta. When I select Firefox from under "Advanced Launcher" I get error "Script failed: addon.py". Any advice?

I am getting this exact same error trying to launch Chrome
(2013-01-26, 14:18)PogMoThoin Wrote:
(2012-12-08, 16:26)rashid420 Wrote: If anyone is reading this...

I followed instructions. Am using latest Frodo Beta. When I select Firefox from under "Advanced Launcher" I get error "Script failed: addon.py". Any advice?

I am getting this exact same error trying to launch Chrome
So... do the same as rashid420 and update Advanced Launcher to it's last version (1.10.15) : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=85724

I get firefox to launch, but the window is not activiated, how do i activate it? The window opens on half of the screen but I don't know how to activate it to start using it, probably it's something easy...
(2013-03-05, 16:17)spaxx24 Wrote: I get firefox to launch, but the window is not activiated, how do i activate it? The window opens on half of the screen but I don't know how to activate it to start using it, probably it's something easy...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1274289

Actually,
XBMCBuntu has all of this already...

press s to go to the shutdown menu then select "exit"
you will be at the login screen (which is lightdm I think?)
select XBMCBuntu instead of XBMC
and you have yourself a desktop manager...
start xbmc from applications video or whichever way you prefer probably set it up to autostart
now you can launch the browser with the already mentioned way and everything works fine...
once you tab back to xbmc it will take about 3 seconds togo true fullscreen again which prevents you from tabbing out
but ottherwise you are exactly where you want to go
(2013-03-15, 16:38)S1R10N Wrote:

Actually,
XBMCBuntu has all of this already...

press s to go to the shutdown menu then select "exit"
you will be at the login screen (which is lightdm I think?)
select XBMCBuntu instead of XBMC
and you have yourself a desktop manager...
start xbmc from applications video or whichever way you prefer probably set it up to autostart
now you can launch the browser with the already mentioned way and everything works fine...
once you tab back to xbmc it will take about 3 seconds togo true fullscreen again which prevents you from tabbing out
but ottherwise you are exactly where you want to go
That's the second solution...
Here's my solution, using the first method described.

I have a directory called 'Launchers' in my home directory that holds launcher scripts to setup and kill the things that i need when running external apps in my standalone XBMC environment.

here's the one i use for the netflix-wine workaround.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
openbox &
netflix-desktop "$1"
kill %1

this script runs openbox, the light window manager that comes installed in xbmcbuntu, then runs netflix-desktop and passes the first variable after it along. when it opens, it grabs focus and foreground. after netflix-desktop ends, this script kills the instance of openbox.

in this one i don't need to pass the variable along as much as on some of the other ones, but most of these are cut and pasted so it carried over from one of the others.

the one that uses the variable passing is the one that i have rom collection browser call to lanuch the emulator- it passes the rom name to the emulator from rom collection browser.

if i wanted to refine this further, i'd make a single script that you pass the name of what you want to launch to as a variable asa universal fix, but this startd asa one-off fix and i haven't gotten around to taking it any further.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
An internet Browser for XMBCbuntu1