Linux An internet Browser for XMBCbuntu
So I installed the XMBCbuntu, and I find it pretty cool. with lack of programming ability, though, i would love to see an internet browser for the OS. Something based on Firefox would be nice, but really just something to surf the net. Any ideas?
chromium is installed with xbmcbuntu.
you cant access it from within xbmc but if you "exit xbmc" from the power menu you will be brought to the os login menu and can then switch the login from xbmc(the default) to xbmcbuntu from there you can access chromium
Welcome to the XBMC forums, DarkRev2001.

You can install the Advanced Launcher add-on and use it to launch a web browser, such as Chromium or Firefox, from within XBMC. To install Advanced Launcher, on the XBMC homepage: System > Settings > Add-ons > Get Add-ons > XBMC.org Add-ons > Program Add-ons > select Advanced Launcher > Install.

As Vampirebat mentioned, Chromium is installed by default. You can install Firefox by going to the XBMCbuntu desktop (see Vampirebat's post) and selecting the Start menu > System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager. Enter your log-in password and in Synaptic Package Manager, search on firefox, select the firefox package, mark it for installation, and select Apply.

To setup Advanced Launcher to run a web browser (Firefox, in this example):
  1. On XBMC homepage, select PROGRAMS
  2. Select Advanced Launcher
  3. On the "Launcher Type" pop-up, select "Standalone (normal PC executable)"
  4. On the "Select the launcher application" pop-up, select "Root filesystem"
  5. Scroll down to "usr" and press Enter
  6. Scroll down to "bin" and press Enter
  7. Scroll down to "firefox" and press Enter
  8. On the "Application arguments" text-entry pop-up, blank out the prefilled text and click Done
  9. On the "Set the title of the launcher", accept the prefilled text (e.g., "firefox") or enter your own title (e.g., "Launch web browser") and click Done
  10. Close/cancel the remaining pop-ups that are presented ("Select the platform"; "Select Thumbnails path"; "Select Fanarts path")
  11. This completes the setup of your web browser launcher; now, exit back to the XBMC homepage to test it
To launch your web browser while in XBMC:
  1. On the XBMC homepage, select PROGRAMS
  3. Select the web browser launcher entry you created above (e.g., "Launch web browser")
  4. XBMC is reduced from fullscreen to a smaller window and your web browser is launched
  5. When you are done with your web browser, simply close it and your XBMC session will be restored to fullscreen
(2012-08-19, 22:45)artrafael Wrote: As Vampirebat mentioned, Chromium is installed by default. You can install Firefox by going to the XBMCbuntu desktop (see Vampirebat's post) and selecting the Start menu > System Tools > Synaptic Package Manager. Enter your log-in password and in Synaptic Package Manager, search on firefox, select the firefox package, mark it for installation, and select Apply.

To setup Advanced Launcher to run a web browser (Firefox, in this example):
  1. On XBMC homepage, select PROGRAMS
  3. On the "Launcher Type" pop-up, select "Standalone (normal PC executable)"
  4. On the "Select the launcher application" pop-up, select "Root filesystem"
  5. Scroll down to "usr" and press Enter
  6. Scroll down to "bin" and press Enter
  7. Scroll down to "firefox" and press Enter
  8. On the "Application arguments" text-entry pop-up, blank out the prefilled text and click Done
  9. On the "Set the title of the launcher", accept the prefilled text (e.g., "firefox") or enter your own title (e.g., "Launch web browser") and click Done
  10. Close/cancel the remaining pop-ups that are presented ("Select the platform"; "Select Thumbnails path"; "Select Fanarts path")
  11. This completes the setup of your web browser launcher; now, exit back to the XBMC homepage to test it
To launch your web browser while in XBMC:
  1. On the XBMC homepage, select PROGRAMS
  3. Select the web browser launcher entry you created above (e.g., "Launch web browser")
  4. XBMC is reduced from full screen to a smaller window and your web browser is launched
  5. When you are done with your web browser, simply close it and your XBMC session will be restored to fullscreen

Sorry...I'm lost.

I cannot find this stuff. I can go to the Advanced Launcher but no where do I get any "pop up" or any option to select "normal PC' or any of that? Is something missing?

I don't understand why there is no web browser by default in the first place?

Can someone more clearly explain how to get a a real web browser working?

What do you see when you click on "Advanced Launcher"?
  • If you have no existing launchers defined, it should pop-up that window asking which type of launcher you want to create ("Standalone (normal PC)", etc.). Those instructions were written with new Advanced Launcher users in mind who have no existing launchers.
  • If you have existing launchers defined, then highlight one of your launchers and click "c" (or right mouse button) to display the context menu and select "Create new launcher" and that window will pop-up asking you which type you want to create. If you've previously created launchers, you should already know how to do this, so I didn't think additional instructions were necessary.
There is a default real web browser installed. It's called Chromium.

I don't see how I can be more clear than what I've already provided with step-by-step instructions.
I can't actually select "Root Filesystem" to browse to the chromium location. It just shows my shares... weird!
On the Advanced Launcher "Select the application launcher" page, you should see entries for "Home folder" and "Root filesystem". If you don't see these, I don't know what to tell you. This is assuming you are running a standard XBMCbuntu (Eden final) installation.
(2012-09-13, 09:55)wjbeckett Wrote: I can't actually select "Root Filesystem" to browse to the chromium location. It just shows my shares... weird!
You must add your "Home" and/or "Root filesystem" folders as sources into XBMC if you want to see them into Advanced Launcher. It's like for movies or TV shows of music. If you want to start application you must select a source first.

Last version of Advanced Laucher (1.9.1) allows you to add sources directly from Advanced Launcher ("Manage Sources" menu entry) and not only from XBMC system menu.

All this is indicated into the Advanced Launcher user guide : http://www.gwenael.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3
Would be nice to get something pre-configured to look good on a TV screen from 10-15 feet away. This goes for the desktop login in XBMCbuntu as well.
If anyone is reading this...

I followed instructions. Am using latest Frodo Beta. When I select Firefox from under "Advanced Launcher" I get error "Script failed: addon.py". Any advice?
(2012-12-08, 16:26)rashid420 Wrote: If anyone is reading this...

I followed instructions. Am using latest Frodo Beta. When I select Firefox from under "Advanced Launcher" I get error "Script failed: addon.py". Any advice?
Are you using the last version of Advanced Launcher (1.10.7)?

someone did a lynx2 add on / hack iirc back in the Xbox days
(2012-12-08, 17:24)Angelscry Wrote:
(2012-12-08, 16:26)rashid420 Wrote: If anyone is reading this...

Are you using the last version of Advanced Launcher (1.10.7)?

I was using what I got from xbmchub. Switched to Angelscry and now most of my problems are solved. Thanks!
Hey guys, I have a DVD ripper that runs in wine, is there a way to configure Advanced Launcher to start the wine app while in XBMC?
(2012-12-21, 18:43)sosaudio1 Wrote: Hey guys, I have a DVD ripper that runs in wine, is there a way to configure Advanced Launcher to start the wine app while in XBMC?
Wine command line may be :

Code:
wine "path_to_executable"

So you can create a stand alone launcher pointing to /usr/bin/wine and enter the your executable path as argument (between double quotes).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
An internet Browser for XMBCbuntu1