OS X Digital-Out breaks XBMC on Mountain Lion (10.8)
I've had the same issue since Lion. Have had to force playback to stereo mode to get it to work.
The problem I am having on my mac mini running the stable eden on Mountain Lion, watching x264 videos the video will stutter but the audio sounds fine and then after I close the video the menu sounds are gone. I am also going optical out on my mac mini to a DVDO Edge video processor. The problem I know didn't happen on Snow Leopard which I was using the night before. I am going back to Snow Leopard since it seems XBMC is not working(unless you want to use a nightly, which I couldn't find one that the app would launch, just get to black XBMC screen and then crashes).
I'm seeing similar issues.

I'm getting noise/distortion when using digital output in pre-Frodo (Alpha7) (AudioEngine) in Mountain Lion.
Digital audio is working fine with Eden (ML)
Audio was always good before I upgrade to ML (with Eden or pre-Frodo).
I'm passing audio and video with HDMI through an AVR.

I'm happy to provide logs if it helps.

EDIT:
Strange, but audio is back to normal.
I replaced pre-frodo with eden, made a change to system / audio output, verified that audio was good.
I then re-replaced eden with pre-Frodo (Aplha7), and now digital out is working as it should.
I am having the same problems: MacPro Early 2008, MacOSX 10.8.2.

No sound on Frodo RC2 - Audio Ouput is on Optical/Coax, 2.0 (and 2.1 is the same). The option "Default Output Device" is not available. Any other options do not work (except for Built-In Output, which outputs sound through internal speakers).

Using Eden, with same option works fine on first run, and Default Output Device is available. After end of first movie, no more sound - only comes back after restarting XBMC.

The Audio Midi Setup is set on 2 channels Stereo...
(2012-12-26, 02:28)vzmr82 Wrote: I am having the same problems: MacPro Early 2008, MacOSX 10.8.2.

No sound on Frodo RC2 - Audio Ouput is on Optical/Coax, 2.0 (and 2.1 is the same). The option "Default Output Device" is not available. Any other options do not work (except for Built-In Output, which outputs sound through internal speakers).

Still happening in RC3!

(2013-01-08, 02:24)vzmr82 Wrote: Still happening in RC3!

Me too!
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13875

+1
Just started testing with RC3 and seeing exactly this.
Please try the next nightly which should be downloadable from our mirrors in a couple of hours if buildbot gets it right.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-01-16, 11:21)Memphiz Wrote: Please try the next nightly which should be downloadable from our mirrors in a couple of hours if buildbot gets it right.

I tried this one:
xbmc-20130115-2a07283-master-x86_64.dmg 16-Jan-2013 11:43

...and it appears to behave exactly the same as rc3.
I am on 10.8.2 latest greatest ML.
FWIW

thx - bummer
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Tried this nightly today:
xbmc-20130120-55e1e26-master-i386.dmg

Still will not start with optical out chosen as audio Output.
FWIW, keep it up!
Tried this one today, same problem still there.
Hope this helps. Don't know if this is a priority for you guys, just a heads-up....

xbmc-20130123-8a07a07-master-x86_64.dmg
noone is looking into this atm - there are just too much issues going on atm...
I see, thanx for letting us know. I'll back off for a bit then..Wink
Wish I could help... Keep up the good work!
There may be a problem with OS X or XBMC that makes audio work for some and not others, but it seems the first thing to check would be all the settings. Given that there are so many settings that affect audio, it seems to me people have been pretty sketchy about what their settings are.

Surround sound audio (AC3 and DTS) is working for me on a Mac mini with OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion), and XBMC 12 (Frodo RC3), with audio going out optically. The receiver's DTS icon lights up (for DTS) and I hear surround sound. Maybe some people for whom it is not working would like to report their settings the same way, or try these settings, and maybe a pattern will emerge.

XBMC, Settings > System > Audio Output
Audio Output - Optical/Coax
Speaker Configuration - 5.1
Boost volume level on downmix - Off
Output stereo to all speakers - Off
Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver - On
DTS capable receiver - On
Audio output device - Built-in Output

OS X, System Preferences > Sound > Output
Digital Out - Optical digital-out port

Audio Midi Setup > Built-in Output > Output
Source - Digital Out (not actually a setting, just info in the window)
Format - 44100.0 Hz 2ch-24bit Integer

I don't profess to understand the settings and don't know which are important; I more or less come to them by trial and error. Maybe it will help someone.

Another thought, I don't know if a bad optical cable is a possibility?
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Digital-Out breaks XBMC on Mountain Lion (10.8)2