Linux Configuring XBMC-specific login session in Ubuntu 11.04
Question 
I'm looking for someone who is much more savvy than I with Ubuntu/Linux and command line/scripting.

I've installed XBMC Eden on an older computer with Ubuntu 11.04 and a subpar CPU but decent GPU (Nvidia GeForce 6 series). I've installed the proprietary Nvidia graphics driver, and when I log into Ubuntu and choose "XBMC" as my desktop environment instead of "Ubuntu," XBMC starts straight away, and works perfectly.

However, when I try to run XBMC from within my normal Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop environment, while it runs OK, video playback stutters, there are video artifacts galore, and some seriously bad tearing. In seeking a solution, I have read that Compiz, the X window manager, and XBMC cannot peacefully coexist, so I thought maybe that had something to do with the problems I'm seeing.

I would have no problem just logging out of my normal Ubuntu session and starting an XBMC session when I want to access my media, but I need access to my wireless LAN from within XBMC, since all my media files are located on a server in another part of the house. How can I tell Ubuntu to connect to my default network when it starts an XBMC-specific session, the same way it does when I start a normal Ubuntu session? It doesn't seem like it should be terribly difficult, but I just don't have the technical Linux knowhow to even know how to begin doing such a thing.

Thanks!

Aaron Big Grin
If you configure Ubuntu (while on your Gnome desktop) to connect automatically to your WiFi network at system startup, does it not also do so when you then boot directly into an XBMC session?
It does not. I have no network connectivity at all in the XBMC session.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring XBMC-specific login session in Ubuntu 11.040