Problem with smb shares asking for a password.
(julpero @ aug. 22 2005,06:43 Wrote:i solved problem simply by doing nothing... one day all just worked fine again.
and now i broke it again by doing nothing... then i made new samba-share to my laptop (that other one is in workstation), and it works fine.

i can't see any differnces on shares in my laptop or workstation, both have same os (winxp pro sp2) and firewall... mostly same security updates too... this isn't funny anymore Confused
where do i set the password on the windows side?
(poom @ aug. 29 2005,16:20 Wrote:where do i set the password on the windows side?
please read and follow these instructions (before posting again):
- xbmc online manual: howtosamba (using samba / smb windows filesharing).
- how-to setup/configure smb (samba) for xbmc, (map windows, linux and/or mac shares).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
my smb shares have also stopped working suddenly, i have tried everything i can think of as well as half a dozen versions of xbmc. i can access the share without issue from other pcs on the network but now for some reason xbmc asks for username and password.

:help:
Exclamation 
ya, iv'e got the same prob. using smb file sharing from pc

everything worked about 5 builds earlier with no problems.

i am now on 9-7-05 build.

im using dhcp on xbox
i can see the workgourps in auto smb..
if i keep going and click on the compute name in the group it sees, it times out./locks up.
it wont go to the next level to show the shares.

this has been working great for a long time now untill recently without making changes on the router/pc end.
Thumbs Down 
[b]please help

i can post any of my settings and xml content if needed.

just let mew know what you need to help troubleshoot this..
ive already spent to much time on this.. :help:
i think i just fixed it by modifying the xml
i changed the log level and debug levels among a few other things.

<!-- loglevel debug also enables mplayer debug. !-->
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
<samba>
<workgroup>gala</workgroup>
<smbip>192.168.x.x</smbip>
<smbsharename>gen</smbsharename>
<defaultusername>-</defaultusername>
<defaultpassword>-</defaultpassword>
<winsserver>-</winsserver>
<debuglevel>0</debuglevel>
</samba>

replace the x.x with your pc being shared ip.
smbsharename= computer name of pc being shared

i think the trick is to leave
<defaultusername>-</defaultusername>
<defaultpassword>-</defaultpassword>
Star 
:kickass:

we were so happy when i finally got the xbox working that my girl started to dance in front of the tv..

check it here;

http://www.princesscameron.com/trailers/pink.wmv

:o
whoa...who ported the msdash skin?...lol!
Always ensure that you read the faq and the online manual before posting support requests.

This post was brought to you by the fine folks at the Heineken Brewing Company.
@wilsonbradley

that's what i have already. i think it's even standard setting. and it does not solve the problem. Sad

since this problem happens only since about 2 months there must be a problem with xbmc. earlier versions worked fine for me. so why are people here always told to make there smb settings right? i kew how to do it and i am still doing the same. since so many people report suddenly the same problem it is obvious for me that there is something wrong with latest xbmc.

regards
zonk76
Star 
i think there is something changed in the new version of xbe and it doesn't like old syntax of xml on the network part.
post you current xml network sections.
work around i used.

seems like xbmc only uses the user/passwd from the samba tags/smb share gui.
* made the same user account on all windows machines providing shares.
* gave that user read access to the shares.
* set the username and password in the samba tags or smb share gui.
* create bookmarks using just the ip.

then i could access shares from multiple machines.
found out a little more about my problem

the user/passwd specified in the bookmark is not used unless a share folder is given in the bookmark .... else the default defuser/defpasswd specified in the samba tags/smb share gui is used.

uses user1/passwd1 from bookmark
smb://user1:passwd1@ip/share

uses default defuser/defpasswd from smb share gui/samba tags
smb://user1:passwd1@ip/
the gui option sets up the defaut parameters. its stored in xboxmediacenter.xml in the <samba> section. it just provides an easier way to configure it.

i'm not 100% but i think to use windows "guest" access, you would have to disable the gui configuration, and then clear out the config manually from xboxmediacenter.xml.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
i had i similar but not identical problem (smb streaming worked for about 10 min, then it asked for password). my solution was to disable and then enable lan (under network connections in win xp) and then restart the router. i've also replaced the microsoft provided driver for the network card with one from 3com. now it works just fine again... (using cvs 21-08-2005). although the problem described in this thread isn´t identical to the one i used to have, i guess it couldn´t heart to try...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with smb shares asking for a password.0