Problem with smb shares asking for a password.
whilst playing movies or music the players stops (after 5 to 10 mins usually), then after 30 seconds or so i get a window asking me to enter my username and password for the share that i was just using.
entering the username/password doesn't help, i have to restart the xbox and start the movie/music again

i have recently upgraded to the latest version from an old version (maybe apr 05). i've gone through the faq's and deleted the relevant folder in tdata and udata and checked all the network settings. manual ip 192.168.1.3 is setup, this all worked fine in the previous version but i haven't used my xbox for a while now so i'm even wondering if this is a hardware issue.

there are some new (to me) options like autodetection - what are these for ?

i intend to ping the xbox with the -t option and see if it drops, i have tried this this morning without a problem but maybe didn't give it long enough.

any ideas ? thanks.
forgot to mention - i have an executer2 with evox and i use xbmc as my dashboard.
sorry, i obviously wasn't searching for the right topic.

i've pretty much already tried everything suggested, has someone found a fix for this problem or has everyone reverted to an older xbmc version for the time being ??
yah me too... i tried searching but i didnt find the right way to fix this problem...
check/follow the tips on how to set share, folder and file security here => http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....t=14446

ps! of course also try disabling windows xp's built-in fireware, plus any third-party firewall software and/or anti-virus software!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
sorry, i posted this in the wrong topic - here it is again Blush

quote (boneyard @ oct. 05 2005,22:22)
well, finally bugged my tech guy to help me out. it was as simple as turning back on "simple file sharing". for some reason my files and subdirectories within the root share were not adapting the root shares security settings.

went back to sfs and worked right away. hope this helps you.

followed the link above and the last posting on 05/10 is quoted above.

i haven't tried this but it sounds very plausible, got this from the m$ knowledgebase for anyone who needs it.

turning on and turning off simple file sharing
simple file sharing is always turned on in windows xp home edition-based computers. by default, the simple file sharing ui is turned on in windows xp professional-based computers that are joined to a workgroup. windows xp professional-based computers that are joined to a domain use only the classic file sharing and security interface. when you use the simple file sharing ui (that is located in the folder's properties), both share and file permissions are configured.

if you turn off simple file sharing, you have more control over the permissions to individual users. however, you must have advanced knowledge of ntfs and share permissions to help keep your folders and files more secure. if you turn off simple file sharing, the shared documents feature is not turned off.

to turn simple file sharing on or off in windows xp professional, follow these steps: 1. double-click my computer on the desktop.
2. on the tools menu, click folder options.
3. click the view tab, and then select the use simple file sharing (recommended) check box to turn on simple file sharing. (clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

i haven't tried it yet so hopefully someone can test it to see if it sovles the problem - i'll test it tonight and post the results.
i tried it .....

..... and it didn't work :tear:

i also uninstalled xp sp2 and that didn't help either Confused

i think the next thing i'll do is install windows xp from scratch and apply no security updates and see what happens.
:thumbsup:

it looks like i fixed my problem by switching to dhcp (as mentioned in previous posts) but i can't understand why this has fixed the problem, it doesn't make any sense to me. my static ip settings were fine, so what's the difference. i'm even more confused now but i'm so happy that it's working.

does anybody have any ideas why dhcp works and static doesn't, bearing in mind that my static settings worked perfectly well before.
a bit more info to confuse things :-

i checked my network settings in the gui this morning and they are as follows :-

ip 192.168.1.6
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns 0.0.0.0

this is obviously not right but everything works fine, all my movies play without stopping and the weather updates really quickly.

my gateway's (d-link router) ip address is 192.168.1.1 but the gateway setting under dhcp in the gui are 192.168.0.1

it really doesn't make sense.

can anybody help ??
had the same problem, this happend when i added files to a shared catalogue.

it should work with update in the manage section but not for me.

but when i unshared the catalogue and did share it again the new files worked without any password popping up.
seems that there's so many causes to this smb enigma. i've been battling mine for weeks. :nuts: my problem now is that i can see the file shares through the smb network but i can't explore the folders.

when i select a shared folder or drive in xbmc, all i hear is a click and then nothing. the screen doesn't change. i still have full control but the file explorer doesn't get past the drive letter to show the files beneath it.

i've checked the file sharing permissions in xp and all seems right. i can also ftp files from the computer to the xbox with no problems. so the network seems to be working but there seems to be something buggering up the smb setup.

this has to be one of the most frustrating problems that i've tried to fix in some time. and i've checked all the tutorials out there with no luck. :help:

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problem with smb shares asking for a password.0