Thetvdb.com
It would be interesting to know the stats of what languages are requested - it is part of every request to their API and it would be interesting to see what demand is there for language variations.

Oh and I love the Actor and Director metadata. It's great to think "what else do I have on the system that this actor has been in?" I'd like to see it extended to "what else have they ever been in?" Besides you wouldn't get much buy in if you left out features that people have come to expect.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Any new site should try to be as versatile and flexible as possible, considering that's one of the complaints about thetvdb. If French data isn't reliable, then French people won't use it, but it should be no skin off anyone's backs to maintain it. The only thing I would worry about is spam checking, which is an issue whenever users can contribute content. Spambots are smart, scary smart. There's ways around that, though. For one, if there's slow traffic on a specific language, then it's easier to monitor it. Or content could be placed in a "hold" before being verified for not containing spam.

It would be no minor task, and it wouldn't even be the best solution to this situation (splits resources, people, etc). It's just that myself and others have become very discouraged about the likelihood that thetvdb will change sooner rather than later.

Personally, I hope just some organization of ideas for a new site/organization would alone be enough to encourage change in thetvdb. I like thetvdb. I even like the people who run thetvdb. But when you come up against a brick wall, there's only so much you can do.
And the sniping and disagreements start already. I look forward to seeing what you guys put together as far as a new db. Any idea of the ETA?

Mark
I edit some tvshows in tvdb. Titles in local languaje (spanish) and shit like these.
I desagree locked tvshows with titles only in english. Why not only lock english languaje when complete structure is complete and let free other languajes?
I desagree too with images only in english languaje. I want posters of my movies-tvshows in my local languaje
Well I have never read the forums on the tvdb site before.. After reading this thread I thought I would have a quick look.

I can understand what everyone in here is talking about. First and only thread I read is about the show The Bible ( as it was the top thread ).

Simple fact is everyone pointed out that the show is actually a ten part series. Documented as such by the makers and broadcasters etc.. Admin on tvdb is basically telling everyone its staying as a 5 part 2 hour episode show and ends the thread with the post :

"It's nice that you disagree, but no. Use the NFO files I've provided or kindly bugger off."

So. is the tvdb run from China or Syria by any chance because the dictatorships looks familiar Smile

On A serious note though when something like this crops up then why not just have a poll? have a forum section for polls on a show. If more than X people make the same remark about a show then put a poll up for user vote on change to this.. Yes / No. At least then it shows the people who use the site and add to the site that the site can be diplomatic about stuff and who knows..
Indeed. I understand the need to have hard set rules to avoid chaos, and in the past I've even defended some of the rules TVDB has set. However, at least in some cases, I believe it goes too far, there are many situations were it is okay to bend the rules or override the rules using a community discussion, without having to fear chaos. They have the right idea, but I think they're pushing it too far.

I say these things about starting a new site, but not because I harbor any bad feelings towards the people who run TVDB. I've been in their position, and I've been the hard ass that stuck to the rules, and I learned that wasn't always the best way to do things. Finding a balance is hard, but I think it is worth it. The community, who makes all of the TVDB content, needs that or they'll just get fed up and stop helping. This includes donations, and I believe this issue is one of the reasons TVDB is in danger of shutting down. It might not even be a money issue, but maybe the people who have solutions don't want to be involved because they feel they don't have a voice.

Like I said, I would be very interested in trying to start something up, if only to serve as a proof of concept for TVDB. I know what it's like to be in their shoes, and I understand that they feel they have to be this way; so let's show them a better way. Which certainly isn't to say that they do everything wrong, not at all. It's a "small" adjustment with a big payoff.
Moderation who simply say "I said this so deal with it" is by far the worst thing to do to a community.

I've seen way too many instances where moderation was wrong, but the policy is "You can't argue with mods." It gives moderators a sense of "god power" and sometimes they abuse this to do what they want. It gets frustrating when everyone knows the right thing to do, but a mod simply says "This is how I view it, and you aren't allowed to argue with me, so it's my way or ban." That's by far the weakest way to deal with a situation and causes resentment between users and moderation.

My general personal policy is I attempt to interact with moderation of websites as LITTLE as possible because too often they're stuck in their mindset and even discussing change with them they get defensive.

My last attempt at talking to a moderator of a forum, the forum was getting spammed on their "Off Topic" section and I suggested that perhaps users of low reputation wouldn't be allowed to post topics. The response I got? "If you don't like how it is here then leave."

IMO, the way most forums/programs are. You're better off not wasting your time helping out, and simply jumping ship to a new thing that's better when it gets better.
I'm going to defend thetvdb a bit here - not because they're perfect (they're not, as has been pointed out - but I've seen individuals on this forum be pretty savage at times as well, despite it being one of the most genuinely inclusive communities I know of), but because it's good enough for the most part. It's a valuable resource that I use many times a week, that I contribute to, question and modify as needed. And if the data comes back in a way I don't like... well, I just hack an NFO based on the core data plus my adjustments, and that's that.

Much of this thread seems to actually be about people, not technical usefulness, and that's a shame for what is basically a database.

Maybe I just don't challenge the mods enough to get bitten Smile
thetvdb is down ?
(2013-09-02, 23:46)dhead Wrote: thetvdb is down ?
Happens from time to time. They are usually back up sooner rather than later.

PS their forums are working, including this message
Quote:The company that is hosting our servers is doing some rack rewiring today. We will be down for 1-2 hours this afternoon. This will probably start around 2pm PDT. Sorry for the late notice I just found out.

Thanks,
http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14795
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-01-05, 20:12)Ned Scott Wrote: Yeah, no, that's not gonna happen. It would also be overkill, as ad revenue from that much exposure would be massive, far more than they need for operating costs.
So you're saying my idea would work so well, users would barely notice?

Or that perhaps, from the excess funds, XBMC could get some money to actually pay a few developers, potentially speeding up development and bug fixes. Would that be so bad?

Smile
We're fundamentally opposed to putting ads in XBMC or even on XBMC.org. That's the "it's not gonna happen" part.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thetvdb.com1