Thetvdb.com
http://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?...858#p43125

"Well we moved because we lost our free hosting. To give you an idea of how much bandwidth this site uses, we average 220Mbit/sec right now, or roughtly 41 Terabytes of data a month. If we don't figure out how to monotize the site soon or get more donations it will most likely be shut down, as non of us admins have 500-1000$ laying around to put into it a month"

I wasn't sure where to post this but its important for all HTPC users. IMO it would be a disaster if this happened.
OK. That is a little unnerving.

I turned off ad-block for their domain. A few cents more for them... Sad

But seriously though, that is a drag. Just a few months ago fanart.tv was in dire straits as well.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
They should contact Amazon to rescue them (like Imdb). The costs involved are a rounding error in one of Amazon's (or any other big tech company) tiny projects that never get finished, so its essentially free. e.g. I would be happy to see a 'Tvdb powered by Amazon' logo if it meant rescuing the site.
If the costs are on the order of 1k a month then it's doable by the wider community to fund it.

I'm sure a bunch of folk here would be happy to contribute $5-10 a month and you don't need many such on going contributions to break even.

Will email Scott and see whether there's anything XBMC can do to help.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

How about they stop hosting images and off load that to someone else such as fanart.tv this would help reduce the amount of data they chew through each month..

i.e focus on what you do well... not what others can / are already doing better.
Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

(2012-08-26, 04:58)Ardalista Wrote: How about they stop hosting images and off load that to someone else such as fanart.tv this would help reduce the amount of data they chew through each month..

i.e focus on what you do well... not what others can / are already doing better.

And who will pay our server then? We also have to live from donations and ad income and we already pay for a large part ourselves.
We were fortunate that we just received a large donation from the German XBMC community XBMC Nerds who held a fund raise to so help pay for ours.

My advice for them would be to look into Cloudflare.

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Not quite what I meant Martijn, I'm well aware of the troubles recently faced by fanart.tv.

Fanart.tv is a great site and already covers the graphics aspect very well.. I just don't see why thetvdb.com site needs to supply / host images if someone else is already doing it better.

I'm not saying it is or isn't a competetive thing as you both serve different information primarily but if the business is in trouble you have to look at how you can remain viable.. this is just one thing I can see that could keep it afloat for now.

Main = Intel 37770k - Win 8.1 x64 | Office PC = Intel Q6600 - Win 7 x64 | HTPC = Intel NUC - Ubuntu 14.10 | Tablet = Nexus 7 (2013) - Android 4.4.5 All running Gotham 13.2
Server = Dell Powededge 2850 - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - MySQL, SABNZBD+, Couchpotato, SickRage, Headphones, Apache | NAS = HP StorageWorks P4500 G2 SAN - Ubuntu Server 14.04 - 21TB RAID5 + Hot spare

We both provide different images so there is no competition.
Besides that tvdb started way earlier with images.
Maybe we could host them however that would mean we need a larger server and way more bandwidth which don't have and can't afford

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Indeed, that is just moving the maintenance costs onto another community site.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I think you guys should do more with the site currently i don't even go to it as xbmc just does its thing.
To be fair, bandwidth wise we currently use about 1TB a month, we would have to hit 15TB before we would have to pay any more.

Also it wouldnt cost them anywhere near that if they went with ovh (that's who we are with) they could go for this http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/eg_best_of.xml (that allows for 20tb transfer a month) each additional TB is 0.89 so they would be looking at a total of 126.99 (not including VAT) / mo for 50tb transfer.

Or they could go for this http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/mg_best_of.xml which has a 10Gbps connection and pay for an extra 20TB transfer which would still be under £200
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
I've posted on their thread, I'm not adverse to hosting the images instead, but they would have to go through the same quality control process all other images do, that would massively drop their bandwidth needs, wether they go for it or not is another matter.
Get and request your ClearLOGOs / ClearART / TV Thumbs / Season Thumbs / Music ClearLOGOs / cdART / Artist Backgrounds / CD Covers from fanart.tv
I donated yesterday without knowing there's possible danger ahead. Hopefully they'll manage to sort things out.
Indeed, that is just moving the maintenance costs onto another community site.
XBMC should force users of thetvdb data to view a certain amount of advertising per month until costs for thetvdb are covered. EMK0 is right in that thetvdb and XBMC are actually a bad match if costs need to be supported by web-based ad revenue. Most people don't actually visit thetvdb.com, they just point their XBMC to it and off they go.

Whilst most people would not like to see ads forced on to them by XBMC, hopefully the number of XBMC users worldwide would mean that only a few minutes of ads a month, per user, would need to be displayed. Of course this could be done only on the home screen so that it would not interrupt or prevent movies. I am not suggesting the way YouTube does it, where they show a commercial before the actual video, perhaps allowing you to skip the rest of that commercial about one third of the way in. I'm talking about relatively small banner ads under the main menu in the Confluence skin, for example. This space is not currently used so it's not as if there would be any blockage.

Personally I think it would be a tragedy to go back to scraping websites.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thetvdb.com1