Linux HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)
(2012-08-29, 01:28)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-08-28, 21:29)charlie0440 Wrote: How many drives can you fit in this case? I'm approaching maxing my 11bay NAS, would love a Fractal Design Define XL but they are too expensive

Well... technically the case has only space for seven 3.5" drives natively and two 2.5" drives(one internal and one external hot-swap) along with a three 5.25" optical drive bays. So... I added the 4 in 3 drive cage in order to add 4 more 3.5" drives. SO...total capacity would be 11.... 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives for a total of 13. I listed only twelve simply because the bottom 2.5" bay sits under the case itself so I will not be using it! Anything more than this would require a heavier PSU than is listed in my current build. If your at 11, then my case would be of little advantage to you if any!

Let me ask you... what size drives are you using currenly? Maybe replace current drives with larger ones, then add the replaced drives to a second build. If it comes down to it with me, that is certainly my plan.

Mainly 2TB, it would make sense to increase the size of the drives but my current hardware is the restriction. Most of my drives are connected via a SAS controller (Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I) this was an old early adopter piece of kit, which is limited to work with 2TB or smaller drives.

I've been looking at the Cooler Master Storm Trooper which is not silly money. It should allow me to get 15 drives in via 3 of the 5>3 caddies (which are pricey!). Might just bite the bullet and rebuild going all out with a 24bay hot swap
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi

Messages In This Thread
RE: HOOK's Extended unRAID upgrade - by SSDD - 2012-08-28, 22:09
RE: HOOK's Extended unRAID upgrade - by charlie0440 - 2012-08-29, 21:39
RE: HOOK's Extended unRAID upgrade - by Harro - 2012-08-31, 22:54
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)2