Linux HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)
Duh... I know I saw it there once.... thanx hook... I will see if I will add it... why not eh? it's just sitting there doing nothing.

Now I like your new GUI.... is this only on your 5x version? I am still on the stable 4.7....
(2012-08-29, 01:28)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-08-28, 21:29)charlie0440 Wrote: How many drives can you fit in this case? I'm approaching maxing my 11bay NAS, would love a Fractal Design Define XL but they are too expensive

Well... technically the case has only space for seven 3.5" drives natively and two 2.5" drives(one internal and one external hot-swap) along with a three 5.25" optical drive bays. So... I added the 4 in 3 drive cage in order to add 4 more 3.5" drives. SO...total capacity would be 11.... 3.5" drives and two 2.5" drives for a total of 13. I listed only twelve simply because the bottom 2.5" bay sits under the case itself so I will not be using it! Anything more than this would require a heavier PSU than is listed in my current build. If your at 11, then my case would be of little advantage to you if any!

Let me ask you... what size drives are you using currenly? Maybe replace current drives with larger ones, then add the replaced drives to a second build. If it comes down to it with me, that is certainly my plan.

Mainly 2TB, it would make sense to increase the size of the drives but my current hardware is the restriction. Most of my drives are connected via a SAS controller (Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I) this was an old early adopter piece of kit, which is limited to work with 2TB or smaller drives.

I've been looking at the Cooler Master Storm Trooper which is not silly money. It should allow me to get 15 drives in via 3 of the 5>3 caddies (which are pricey!). Might just bite the bullet and rebuild going all out with a 24bay hot swap
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-29, 21:39)charlie0440 Wrote: Mainly 2TB, it would make sense to increase the size of the drives but my current hardware is the restriction. Most of my drives are connected via a SAS controller (Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I) this was an old early adopter piece of kit, which is limited to work with 2TB or smaller drives.

WOW....thanks for the info. Would this restriction also apply to the SAS controller I added to my build. Hopefully I got a more recent one that has upgraded to allow 3TB drives. I will research and find out.. But if so... I will just have to add the 3TB drives directly to the MOBO...

(2012-08-29, 20:18)Beer40oz Wrote: Duh... I know I saw it there once.... thanx hook... I will see if I will add it... why not eh? it's just sitting there doing nothing.

Now I like your new GUI.... is this only on your 5x version? I am still on the stable 4.7....

Yes....absolutely, give cache a try. You may see a performance jump; however, I would first read the advantages and disadvantages to adding a cache. I posted a link to the cache drive discussion in my first post.

As far as the GUI, check the Pkg Manager tab in unMENU... I think you should be able to add it. I dont remember reading any restriction of this add-on to v4.x
(2012-08-29, 22:37)CpTHOOK Wrote: Yes....absolutely, give cache a try. You may see a performance jump; however, I would first read the advantages and disadvantages to adding a cache. I posted a link to the cache drive discussion in my first post.

As far as the GUI, check the Pkg Manager tab in unMENU... I think you should be able to add it. I dont remember reading any restriction of this add-on to v4.x

Yes I did read your whole page 1.... I went over to the Pkg Manager tab in unMENU... I guess it's the one called: unMENU Image Server Smile I will do it tomorrow. Got to run... Wink Horale Carnal...

Sorry it is called unRAID-Web....
(2012-08-29, 22:37)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-08-29, 21:39)charlie0440 Wrote: Mainly 2TB, it would make sense to increase the size of the drives but my current hardware is the restriction. Most of my drives are connected via a SAS controller (Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I) this was an old early adopter piece of kit, which is limited to work with 2TB or smaller drives.

WOW....thanks for the info. Would this restriction also apply to the SAS controller I added to my build. Hopefully I got a more recent one that has upgraded to allow 3TB drives. I will research and find out.. But if so... I will just have to add the 3TB drives directly to the MOBO...

Probably not, as I said it was a early (affordable) SAS card, newer ones these days seem fine up to 4TB

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-29, 23:51)charlie0440 Wrote: Probably not, as I said it was a early (affordable) SAS card, newer ones these days seem fine up to 4TB

Well... I was quite apprehensive about purchasing any 3TB drives, but being that I'm obsessed with my new box and it expansion capabilities, I picked up 2 WDC WD30EZRX yesterday one to replace existing parity and one for additional data. I am happy to report that the drives were recognized by the SAS without issue, pre-clearing now! I read tons of posts all over the net with people reporting issues with this card and 3TB drives. Specifically with the firmware and the need to upgrade to a firmware version that supports larger drives. I guess the OEM got the message and began shipping new cards with the firmware needed.

With the drives attached to the card, my pre-clear speeds average around 123MB/s(Pre-read and zeroing) so farNod
Hook... did you tell your wife on the new stuff? hehe..... Smile
Glad it's worked for you. Nothing worse then buying some tech and finding its not compatible

XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-31, 17:33)Beer40oz Wrote: Hook... did you tell your wife on the new stuff? hehe..... Smile

Ugh, isn't that just the worst part of all this?? I don't understand why wives can't just be happy when they see 3 boxes show up at the door from the UPS dude!!! ... every week.

Love the upgrades Hook... I threw a cache drive in mine, a spare 250GB 7200 RPM WD drive I had laying around... and added another 3TB drive to mine because well, you inspired me! My wife hates you.
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-08-31, 17:33)Beer40oz Wrote: Hook... did you tell your wife on the new stuff? hehe..... Smile

NOPE!! I snuck the drives in the case before she could find out...AND.. I told her that the new case was just for transferring all the hardware from old unRAID box. Little does she know That i have spent quite a bit of coin on this upgrade to include 4new HD's, a new MOBO, new SAS and Antec DF-35 case. Wheww, this hobby is getting wayyy expensive! I really need t go to rehab to curb the addiction... but it just keeps calling me and calling me, I try to kick but i just gotta go to it!

(2012-08-31, 21:31)Mick1152 Wrote: Ugh, isn't that just the worst part of all this?? I don't understand why wives can't just be happy when they see 3 boxes show up at the door from the UPS dude!!! ... every week.

Love the upgrades Hook... I threw a cache drive in mine, a spare 250GB 7200 RPM WD drive I had laying around... and added another 3TB drive to mine because well, you inspired me! My wife hates you.

Great news on the Cache... what type of performance improvements did you notice??... could you please post your increased speed results results, I wanna compare them to mine which increased about 3X

Great that you added a 3TB drive... If you grabbed the WD 3TB EZRX drives like I did... DO NOT disable the LCC's with WDIdle3.exe and the /D command... set it to about 5min or so. Read HERE

...and by the way, use the BS line with wife like I did.. "Well babe, I only do this for you and the kids so we can save on going out to the movie theater every week".. LOL, we still have been going every week tho'!

I assume you guys are running rc 5 for Unraid. Has anyone had any problems with it? I will be building another unraid server real soon but wanted some input on whether to stay with the stable 4.7 release or try rc 5.
IMHO...I would stick to was is working for you right now, unless you notice features in the rc5 that you really want. The only major feature upgrade I know of from v4.7 to v5.x is the 3TB drive support. I don't think stable v4.7 supports larger drives.
Own a kill-a-watt device? would love to know what the draw is.
(2012-08-31, 23:59)Inexistence Wrote: Own a kill-a-watt device? would love to know what the draw is.

I don't have Kilowatt device but I do have a APC UPS that measure watt load.. If you needed to gauge kW or kWh for energy bill purposes hopefully this will help..

With one drive spinning currently performing preclear:

With all drives spinning:

Since I'm pre-clearing I can't spin all drives down to post a pic, but it's around 69w
Not bad!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)2