Linux HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)
(2012-08-31, 22:28)CpTHOOK Wrote: Great news on the Cache... what type of performance improvements did you notice??... could you please post your increased speed results results, I wanna compare them to mine which increased about 3X

Great that you added a 3TB drive... If you grabbed the WD 3TB EZRX drives like I did... DO NOT disable the LCC's with WDIdle3.exe and the /D command... set it to about 5min or so. Read HERE

...and by the way, use the BS line with wife like I did.. "Well babe, I only do this for you and the kids so we can save on going out to the movie theater every week".. LOL, we still have been going every week tho'!

My speeds without the cache were better than yours. I was more in line with Beer's speeds at 35-40MB/s without the cache. With the cache drive, my speeds are right at 70MB/s. My cache drive is an older 7200 RPM WD 250 GB drive I had laying around. The rest of my drives are all 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 so I guess maybe they're a bit faster for the faster transfer speed without the cache? Other than that, I have the same processor but I have 4GB of RAM but, I'm running SAB and Sickbeard on my server too. Overall, LOVE the cache drive, super happy I added it to my build too!
HTPC 1 - AMD A8-3870K, ASRock A75M, Silverstone ML03B, Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR3 1866, Crucial M4 64GB SSD
HTPC 2 - HP Stream Mini, 6GB Ram
unRAID 6 Server - Intel Celeron G1610, 20TB Storage

(2012-09-01, 11:34)Mick1152 Wrote: My speeds without the cache were better than yours. I was more in line with Beer's speeds at 35-40MB/s without the cache. With the cache drive, my speeds are right at 70MB/s. My cache drive is an older 7200 RPM WD 250 GB drive I had laying around. The rest of my drives are all 3TB Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 so I guess maybe they're a bit faster for the faster transfer speed without the cache? Other than that, I have the same processor but I have 4GB of RAM but, I'm running SAB and Sickbeard on my server too. Overall, LOVE the cache drive, super happy I added it to my build too!

That's great bro...

Not sure where the problem is in my set-up that only allows for such slow transfer rates w/o a cache. But reading here explains exactly what I'm getting speed wise with and without a cache. Your speeds with a cache are exactly in-line with mine. I do run SABnzbd and Sickbeard as well, but I use the browser GUI on my main PC to control currently. I've just recently learned a bit about virtualization so I may create a set-up in the near future to incorporate unRAID, GUI for NZB for file/media snatching and a file server all -in-one machine. Actually this was the original plan for this new box I built until I was told that porting a USB using Hyper-V wasn't possible and I don't know about VMware and ESXi enough yet to jump into those waters.

Just got this pretty slick looking 5x3 HotSwap cage today. Not cheap, but I can add additional drives to my array. Also, the ability to access drives from the front of my box can cut down on the time needed to swap out failing HD's. Just thought I'd bump my box post with some updates. I'm happy to report that all drive bay's are filledWink 25.5TB total!

iStarUSA BPN-DE350SS-RED 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" SAS/SATA 6.0 Gb/s Trayless Hot-Swap Cage

Dam Hook 25.5TB storage I have to catch up..... Smile pure love.... that iStar cage is sexy....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOOK's Extended unRAID (NAS / APPSW / VMHosting)2