Windows 8=great!
(2013-01-21, 00:43)xbmcsnapper Wrote:
(2013-01-17, 05:36)tjcinnamon Wrote: Have they fixed the Hulu and Netflix Metro Apps to work with keyboard commands or a remote? Or are they still basically touch and mouse?

I have been using an IR remote to control Netflix Metro on Win8 for months. I use a Philips Prestigo SRT8215 remote with some commands learned from an old worn-out Harmony. The Harmony has commands for the "MCE Keyboard" and "Media Center SE" devices in the Harmony database (more info here), which includes key combos like Win+Tab, which is needed for some cursor movements in Metro apps such as Netflix and Hulu.

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I contacted Hulu and they said there are no keyboard commands set up.

So you have a remote that can navigate both Metro Hulu and Netflix's respective GUI's?
Frodo Win 8 Pro x64
Fractal Design Node 605 (looks amazing)
i5 3570K, Asus P8Z77V LK
2x80GB Intel 320 SSD, 4TB NAS
GTX 670x2 SLI, 16GB GSkill Ares
Onkyo RC360 with Paradigm piece-by-piece 5.1 build
Nyxboard and AHK full controlled via XBox Controller
(2013-01-21, 04:31)tjcinnamon Wrote:
(2013-01-21, 00:43)xbmcsnapper Wrote:
(2013-01-17, 05:36)tjcinnamon Wrote: Have they fixed the Hulu and Netflix Metro Apps to work with keyboard commands or a remote? Or are they still basically touch and mouse?

I have been using an IR remote to control Netflix Metro on Win8 for months. I use a Philips Prestigo SRT8215 remote with some commands learned from an old worn-out Harmony. The Harmony has commands for the "MCE Keyboard" and "Media Center SE" devices in the Harmony database (more info here), which includes key combos like Win+Tab, which is needed for some cursor movements in Metro apps such as Netflix and Hulu.

Hmm, I'm intrigued. I contacted Hulu and they said there are no keyboard commands set up.

So you have a remote that can navigate both Metro Hulu and Netflix's respective GUI's?

A lot of MCE remotes have mouse controls that can be used.
(2013-01-20, 23:42)McRoots Wrote:
(2012-08-29, 00:51)patseguin Wrote: Here you all go:

http://cybernetnews.com/xbmc-run-boot-xb...windows-8/

Hi All,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster... Cause I have a problem.

I followed the steps outlined in this link and it boots as promised. However, I can't return to the windows 8 desktop. Once I quit XBMC, CRTL-ALT-DEL does not allow me to open the task manager. In fact, it does nothing at all. I'd really like to be able to switch back and forth between XBMC and the Start interface.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this?

Problem solved. I ended up using "diskpart" to unprotect the drive and do a fresh install. Now it all works again.
(2013-01-21, 04:31)tjcinnamon Wrote: Hmm, I'm intrigued. I contacted Hulu and they said there are no keyboard commands set up.

Yes, any Harmony remote, or any learning remote that can learn a command from a Harmony can be used to navigate Netflix on Win 8. Sorry, but I don't use Hulu Plus. As I said in a previous post, the Harmony has commands for the "MCE Keyboard" and "Media Center SE" devices in their database, and these can be used to obtain key combos like Win+Tab on the remote. The other important ones are the directional arrow keys and Enter. And Bob's your uncle.

Lightbulb 
Glad I found this thread right before the Windows 8 upgrade prices skyrocket on Friday! Just some quick questions for all you that use Win8 w/ XBMC:

- How much HDD space does the OS, plus XBMC use? Any articles you've found useful on trimming down the fat?

I'm only using a 32GB SSD on my (Foxconn NT-A3700) HTPC for now. Would like to have an idea on how much space I would have left for some ROMs, maybe Steam and a game or two... All media will be streamed from my NAS device.

Edit: I took the jump, so I answered these questions already. I forgot how much 64-bit Windows OSes use up these days. Just Win8, all the latest updates and drivers alone left me with less than half the drive left at about 12GB. I found out you can get a couple gigs back if you disable Hibernation, but then I found out Win8 uses that to provide us with super quick startup times, which is quite nice for an HTPC.

- Glad to hear about the boot times, but have you noticed any sluggishness in XBMC doing certain functions or with certains skins like 'Aeon Nox'?

I'm currently running XBMCbuntu and the HTPC can handle it with ease, but having random backgrounds enabled on 'Movies' and 'Music' seems to eat up a lot of CPU cycles/resources. The box handles it fine, but the fan is much more louder after I enabled that. And also, the main reason I'm considering a switch to Windows 8 is because of the driver support for keyboards, gamepads, GPUs, and more emulator options. I gave it a shot with Ubuntu and just for media streaming it's great, but I feel like this box could do more.

Update: Quite impressed with the Brazos CPU. It handles XBMC and heavy skins with ease. Not to mention 1080P videos with high bitrates and SBS 3D... Just need to make sure Windows 8 is not using up unnecessary resources now.
Quote:Edit: I took the jump, so I answered these questions already. I forgot how much 64-bit Windows OSes use up these days. Just Win8, all the latest updates and drivers alone left me with less than half the drive left at about 12GB. I found out you can get a couple gigs back if you disable Hibernation, but then I found out Win8 uses that to provide us with super quick startup times, which is quite nice for an HTPC.

Older thread but worth mentioning. Once you have done all the updates etc run "disk cleanup" wait for it to process then click cleanup system files, wait to process again. On the list you should have cleanup windows updates (saved 1.2GB for mine), if a service pack exists it will remove the uninstall (i do this on win7) and I had around 500MB ish in queued windows error reporting crap. My win8 build with XBMC, various plugins, browsers etc a light install comes in around 14GB.
Yeah you can save a lot of space by doing that. It's also worth mentioning that if you want to boot right into XBMC only use it, OpenElec is an excellent choice. It installs in like a minute and boots in seconds.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
I changed from Win 7 ti Win 8 in my old dual core system and I must say that Windows 8 works best in my computer. Less HDD slow activities, fast start screen. I recommend it

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8=great!0