Modded xbox vs home theatre computer?
Sad 
here is my story: i wanted to network my home theater so i looked into modded xbox's, non modded xbox's, media players, and building a computer. i already had a tivo so i didn't need the pvr. i ended up trying to use old computer parts that i got for free, and some new ones because it seemed to be the cheapest route at the time, but it was so slow that i ended up getting all new parts. i've been adding to this thing for months now, and i added it up and i've spent almost $500 on it. it has become a pretty nice little rig with some neat gadgets, but i can never get the picture to fit on the screen just right, and i've had to screw around with the audio while playing dvds alot. i'm thinking about selling the parts and using the money to buy a modded xbox. i could get about $320-back, keep $60 in parts, get stuck with some parts, and lose some money on the whole deal.

would it be worth it to switch, or should i just continue to add to what i've got and make it even better?

does anyone have an opinion as to what i should do?
hmm it really depends on how powerful your htpc is and what your needs are.

due to the xbox's cpu xbmc really struggles with h264 video and your not really going to be able to get hd video playing at all. so if in the near future or even now you want to be playing either of these then you may well be better off sticking with your htpc. of course it may well be that your pc is nowhere near powerful enough for these anyway. in which case i'd say dump your pc and get xbmc, you won't regret it.
i'm running win xp pro on it, and i'm just useing the s-video on a saphire radeon 9250 out to a 32" flat screen crt type tv.

duron 1.8 ghz
epox via kt880
maxtor 80 gig
512 mb of ram
saphire radeon 9250
kworld vs-l883d pci interface dvd maker card
wirelessg pci adapter
rosewill combo drive
lite-on sk7551 black ps/2 ir wireless mini keyboard
niveusmedia pc remote pc infrared / rf remote control
logitech wirless gamepad

i won't be getting an hd tv for at laest a couple years so i'm not worried about that

i've got th same thread running on a htpc forum, and they havn't helped at all. maybe its a tuochy subject for them.

and ive got it going at another xbox site and have gotten lots of great help. they say the same thining, that i won't regret getting a modded xbox!

i've got a quick question. sorry if its stupid, but are there any problems using wireless controlers or remotes?
i've got quick question. how difficult is it to get all this stuff going after you have the hardware installed?
the point about the xbox with xbmc is that you put it under the tv, plug it to your hardware (network, dd5.1 amp etc...) and it just works. no fiddling around with any display resolutions, no keyboard, no mouse no nothing.
the best kombination you can get is an xbmc with a server in a different room with intenet access. the xbox likes internet, so will you Wink imdb lookups, rss feeds, cddb lookup etc....

what you have to get is :

- a box
- a hdd
- a modchip
- dvd kit ( this is just the remote and a receiver)

you should end up at 250-300 dollars. best would be to get the box at ebay.
i have already set up a deal with a guy in that i found on another xbox forum to buy a modded xbox with a 120 gig hard drive for $265 and that includes shipping. i'm now looking for ways to wirelessly connect it to my home network weich is just 2 computers, wireless router, and broadband internet. i found this,it seems to be the cheapist rout to go. i'm up to sugestions though. i'm also trying to sell of some of the parts from that computer asap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Modded xbox vs home theatre computer?0