So close yet so far - Sound on XBMCBuntu (question about htpc's)
so...I just built my first htpc and installed xbmcbuntu without much of a problem (those damn micro atx cases are cramped...and the power supply I ordered was too big..but other than that, it was fine...)

but I have no audio, at all...I did some searching, there seems to be a decent about of configuring and troubleshooting in order to possibly get it to work

this is my setup:
mobo: ASRock A55M-HVS
CPU/APU: AMD A4-3300
hard drive: Kingston SSD S50 32gb
case and PSU: Apex DM-318
(4gb of ram, but that's irrelevant)

now..my mobo has an HDMI output AND it says that it is capable of 5.1 output...
right now, I have it as only an HDMI cable from my htpc to my tv and a TOSLINK from the tv to the surround sound..no luck...i tried the tv alone, no luck

I have very very little knowledge/use in linux and little time to learn it (unfortunately, I just don't have the time to learn most of the new things of a new-to-me OS...please don't flame me for it)

1. so at this point, i'm wondering, is it possible to extract 5.1 out of the standard audio output (green output on mobo)? my thinking is no...since you can only connect a stereo output line from it..

2. from what i read further, i won't really be able to get 5.1 from the way it is currently set up (the tv will not be able to pass through 5.1 to the receiver)...so is my best bet to have hdmi out to the tv and get a sound card that has a toslink output? If so, any recommendations? will i have to reinstall xbmcbuntu or will it just detect it and work if i just install the card then turn on the htpc?

thanks for the help...
What's the output of the following two commands:
Code:
aplay -l
aplay -L

Also, drop to a terminal and issue the following:
Code:
alsamixer

Make sure none of the outputs have an M in the brackets underneath the graphs, that means the source is muted. The arrow keys allow you to switch between outputs and raise or lower the levels. Also, what are your settings for audio output in XBMC?

As far as the TV passing 5.1 surround, most likely you're out of luck. Due to HDMI handshaking issues, the TV will only report itself as a 2 channel end station, so all that's going to be passed to it is stereo sound. You'll need to get SPDIF out to your receiver via optical or copper via your motherboard or a sound card, discrete 5.1 via analog connections, or HDMI to your receiver.
(2012-08-31, 02:10)pumkinut Wrote: What's the output of the following two commands:
Code:
aplay -l
aplay -L

Also, drop to a terminal and issue the following:
Code:
alsamixer

Make sure none of the outputs have an M in the brackets underneath the graphs, that means the source is muted. The arrow keys allow you to switch between outputs and raise or lower the levels. Also, what are your settings for audio output in XBMC?

As far as the TV passing 5.1 surround, most likely you're out of luck. Due to HDMI handshaking issues, the TV will only report itself as a 2 channel end station, so all that's going to be passed to it is stereo sound. You'll need to get SPDIF out to your receiver via optical or copper via your motherboard or a sound card, discrete 5.1 via analog connections, or HDMI to your receiver.

thanks for the help...i did in fact confirm that it was the tv that could not pass the audio through
i tried "analog" as the setting, and all of a sudden, the sound worked from the tv (but still not the receiver)

i decided to return the board and go for the a75, which has 7.1 optical out straight from the board...

thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
So close yet so far - Sound on XBMCBuntu (question about htpc's)0