Linux Audio issues - Recommended Sound Card
Question 
I've been using XBMC on Linux for sometime now, back when it was XBMClive and now XBMCbuntu. Fantastic!

I've always had my audio going out via HDMI on my graphics cards, then using the digital out on my TV to my receiver. This generally works great though I've noticed issues with some DTS streams - turns out my TV has some issues with DTS passthrough on some streams.

In order to solve this I decided I'd add a soundcard to the mix, taking my audio directly from there would solve my issues. I also want to move to using the analog outs since XBMC is about to support the likes of Dolby TrueHD, which I'd like to take advantage of.

I purchased an Asus Xonar DGX, admittedly without looking into the matter at any great length before hand. After receiving it and installing realised it wasn't going to work. It requires alsa 1.0.26 (currently unreleased) or kernel 3.5, neither of which is likely to hit XBMC soon. http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.p...endor-Asus

So my question is, can anybody recommend a sound card that works well with XBMCbuntu Eden that will provide me with good quality audio and work without too much issue? It needs to be a half-height card running on PCI Express in order to fit into my HTPC. Anybody with experience that could provide some advice would be MUCH appreciated (believe me I've tried to research this myself). I've been looking at the Asus Xonar DX - this seems to be my choice currently as it appears it is fully supported.

Summary questions:
1) Can anybody recommend a PCI Express half height graphics card to use with XMBCbuntu Eden+ ?
2) I've always had my peripherals in the HTPC already when installing XBMC, is adding a new sound card to an existing install problematic?

All help greatly appreciated!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio issues - Recommended Sound Card0