Recording in progress - Playback doesnt know the file is growing
Thanks for your explanation, so in my eyes it looks like that it is necessary to change functions in the core player?!
(2012-11-15, 19:34)FernetMenta Wrote: I even know what exactly is causes the problem. It's ffmpeg which only analyses the size at the beginning. Fixing this means finding some kind of work around. I can not promise a fix for Frodo because it's a sensitive area of the code.

Well, I wouldn't mind to compile & test anything you can provide for this - even though it is post frodo material.
VU+ / Enigma2 PVR Client: Documentation | Development | Discussion
Just to throw in my 2 pence on a TVH front. The problem with playing in-progress recordings for TVH is a quite different, up to HTSPv6 (TVH 3.2) the only way to playback TVH recordings was via HTTP. At which point the pvr code is mostly irrelevant.

However it is/was the use of HTTP (basic) streaming that caused problems with watching in-progress recordings. It is kinda possible, but only if you keep periodically skipping. The reason is that the HTTP download will report the current size of the file at the time of the download request (not providing any size will allow a constant stream but not skip support), therefore it would play up to that point and stop. However should you skip that actually starts a new download at the skip point so you'd get a new file size etc.. Obviously not useful in practice, just an explanation Wink

However for HTSPv7 (TVH 3.4 - aka git master) Andreas has included VFS support via HTSP, this gives us much more control. I've submitted a PR to Lars to include this in pvr.hts (it won't affect operation with older servers - now I've fixed it Wink ).

Using these updates (which will be possible with Frodo as no XBMC core changes are required) you will be able to get proper skip/seek support in PVR recordings. Though you will need a new pvr.hts build (currently as of writing the PR is unmerged) and also a new TVH build from git master.

You may still experience some problems if using MKV recording due to the way the files are prepared. But it should mostly work and I'll be doing more testing before it goes out in 3.4.

Adam
(2012-11-16, 16:27)jdembski Wrote:
(2012-11-15, 19:34)FernetMenta Wrote: I even know what exactly is causes the problem. It's ffmpeg which only analyses the size at the beginning. Fixing this means finding some kind of work around. I can not promise a fix for Frodo because it's a sensitive area of the code.

Well, I wouldn't mind to compile & test anything you can provide for this - even though it is post frodo material.

+1

Martin
I have the same problem on npvr. very annoying for using xbmc to watch sports.
Older Vlc on windows can play ongoing recordings, the newest one can't so I believe its player fault.
I lately run ffmpeg on Linux and it says its deprecated(?). Shouldn't xbmc use something which isn't deprecated?
(2013-01-25, 15:00)Marx1 Wrote: I lately run ffmpeg on Linux and it says its deprecated(?). Shouldn't xbmc use something which isn't deprecated?
haha. and now read the full message that the ffmpeg executable (which is not the lib) shows and try to understand it
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Is there any combination of XBMC and Windows backend that can handle this properly yet?
I've been looking into this issue also, and the general fix (for all growing files) will have problems because having the demuxer re-calculate the duration often is not a trivial change. I was thinking that we could spit this issue and supply a fix for the PVR, and leave the general fix (copying files on NFS) to another day. We should have enough information from the PVR to properly work with recordings.
I can add another back end to the list.

I have the same problem using XBMC 12.2 on an I3 NUC with Ubuntu 12.04, getting files from DVB Link TV server. If I play back using the PRV section, playback stops at wherever the live point was when playback was started. If I play back through the files menu (Which I use most of the time instead of a media library, I know where everything is) the reported file length stays the same until that time is reached then starts incrementing a second at a time, however if I try to skip it goes back to where the live point was to begin with and the only ways to pass that point again are to let it play (No skips) or stop and restart playback so the live point updates. DVB Link saves the files as a .TS

This is about the only chink in the armour of XBMC for me, it does pretty much everything else well enough to have me thinking about building an XBMC NUC for my 70 year old mum!
This works nowadays with tvheadend, so I guess the backend addons are what needs to be fixed to support it on Windows.
Still found that I have this same problem using nPVR as my backend... ideally I don't want to move away from that one as I'm familiar with it now.
Anyone got it working with nPVR?
Ta,
John
(2013-10-22, 10:14)haverer2 Wrote: Still found that I have this same problem using nPVR as my backend... ideally I don't want to move away from that one as I'm familiar with it now.
Anyone got it working with nPVR?
No, XBMC shows the same problems for all pvr addons that supply http streams to recordings.
Any news on an update for this problem?
what makes you think it is still a problem? which backend are you using? pvr.wmc works OK with this as far as Im aware
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recording in progress - Playback doesnt know the file is growing1