• 123(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
powerline is the same shit than wireless.. ive tried to connect my homeserver over powerline 500mbit because i thought it would work with 10-20mbit-streams and i dont have a cable layin around but it buffered too. Now i put a 100mbit-cat5 between router and homeserver and all is working as expected..
those wireless-technologys like powerline and wifi are not really for those timingrelevant applications.. maybe there are many people out there where it works but i think there are many people out there that fight with that problems every day too :-)
(2013-04-04, 16:42)rbej Wrote:
(2013-04-04, 16:15)tymoxa Wrote: With latest build i have broken wi-fi.
There is no wlan0 interface when i try lfconfig

from dmesg:
Quote:[ 2.444038] usb 1-1.3: new high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[ 2.547033] usb 1-1.3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8172
[ 2.547067] usb 1-1.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[ 2.547085] usb 1-1.3: Product: RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
[ 2.547100] usb 1-1.3: Manufacturer: Manufacturer Realtek
[ 2.547115] usb 1-1.3: SerialNumber: 00e04c000001
[ 4.628256] r8712u: module is from the staging directory, the quality is unknown, you have been warned.
[ 4.663915] r8712u: Staging version
[ 4.664032] r8712u: register rtl8712_netdev_ops to netdev_ops
[ 4.664049] r8712u: USB_SPEED_HIGH with 4 endpoints
[ 4.676007] r8712u: Boot from EFUSE: Autoload OK
[ 5.667746] r8712u: CustomerID = 0x0000
[ 5.667771] r8712u: MAC Address from efuse = 00:1f:1f:51:7b:45
[ 5.667781] r8712u: Loading firmware from "rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
[ 5.667948] usbcore: registered new interface driver r8712u
[ 66.083909] r8712u: Firmware request failed

..and i already have killed installer of the previous build Sad

This is OpenElec bug. Still no fixed. Many people raported me no working Wifi on developer builds.

When I make images for my clients I still use the "old" 669 image---> change the network/wifi setting and then update to the newest build..........no problems with wifi then
(2013-04-04, 22:26)PeaceMkr Wrote: powerline is the same shit than wireless.. ive tried to connect my homeserver over powerline 500mbit because i thought it would work with 10-20mbit-streams and i dont have a cable layin around but it buffered too. Now i put a 100mbit-cat5 between router and homeserver and all is working as expected..
those wireless-technologys like powerline and wifi are not really for those timingrelevant applications.. maybe there are many people out there where it works but i think there are many people out there that fight with that problems every day too :-)

Powerline ain't wireless. Hence the "line" in Power. Smile

Just like WiFi though, Powerline (aka Homeplug) is affected by environmentals - a noise fridge or wall wart for instance, can knacker a Powerline connection. Or a breaker in your junction box. When it works though, it tends to work very well - I can consistently transfer 135Mbit/s over 500-AV across two floors, yet can't get a decent WiFi g/n connection between two adjacent rooms due to the mass of WiFi networks swamping my inner-city location. If you're not able to stream 10-20Mbit across 500-AV, then you must have some really bad, noisy or oddly wired mains.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2013-04-04, 16:15)tymoxa Wrote: ..and i already have killed installer of the previous build Sad

Quote:[ 69.123494] usb 1-1.3.3: ath9k_htc: Failed to get firmware htc_9271.fw
[ 69.123767] usb 1-1.3.3: ath9k_htc: USB layer deinitialized

I have a similar issue with another wifi device, I suppose it is because of the change to the 3.8 kernel. I hope this will be fixed soon Sad
I uploaded the Rbej build from the 4th of march, I found it somewhere else and use it myself:
http://becait.de/downloads/openelec/Open...304.tar.gz

(2013-04-04, 20:23)onetootreefor Wrote: ok i have done some testing today on my buffer issue. I connected my media pc (windows7) directly into my router via 1Gbps ethernet. No buffer...no buffer on NFS or SMB or ANYTHING.... GREAT NEWS! I hooked up my wireless adapter on the win7 media pc which is sitting directly next to the router. I have a full 300Mbps connection. It buffers like crazy on any movie with a video stream larger than 10Mbps. Doesnt matter if its via smb or nfs. i tried both via ethernet and both via 300Mpbs wireless. This makes NO SENSE...the wireless connection is surely strong enough to handle a 10Mbps video stream, but why will it only work when I connect it via 1Gbps ethernet? My media pc usually sits in a room 2 away from my raspi/router/tv. and it still gets a strong 240Mbps connection in there. Can anyone explain this?

For me, there is also no caching active when using SMB or NFS. But over FTP, there is, so I use this Smile
Wifi connections are sometimes very slow (if your neighbour blocks the channel e.g.), so even if the average throughput is enough, you need a big cache to play streams without buffering. I get around 2 Megabyte/sec average, but it may drop down to 500 Kilobyt/sec for a short time...
@MilhouseVH Powerline is Wireless too, because the line is "only" the Antenna.. most of the people think the cable is for connection but thats not really true.
In my case the problem wasnt to get constant datarates for transfering. The problem was that the latency wasnt very good and i got lots of buffering while watching fullhd-movies. It didnt matter if streaming from the homeserver to a windowsmachine in the other room or to the raspberry or appletv..
(2013-04-05, 07:25)PeaceMkr Wrote: @MilhouseVH Powerline is Wireless too, because the line is "only" the Antenna.. most of the people think the cable is for connection but thats not really true.

You are telling BS. Powerline is like a modem, with high frequency (mostly between 2 and 68 MHz) where signals modulated on the the cable from point to point. The work as "antenna" is a disorder and not the function princip.
(2013-04-04, 20:23)onetootreefor Wrote: ok i have done some testing today on my buffer issue. I connected my media pc (windows7) directly into my router via 1Gbps ethernet. No buffer...no buffer on NFS or SMB or ANYTHING.... GREAT NEWS! I hooked up my wireless adapter on the win7 media pc which is sitting directly next to the router. I have a full 300Mbps connection. It buffers like crazy on any movie with a video stream larger than 10Mbps. Doesnt matter if its via smb or nfs. i tried both via ethernet and both via 300Mpbs wireless. This makes NO SENSE...the wireless connection is surely strong enough to handle a 10Mbps video stream, but why will it only work when I connect it via 1Gbps ethernet? My media pc usually sits in a room 2 away from my raspi/router/tv. and it still gets a strong 240Mbps connection in there. Can anyone explain this?

Same thing for me, had rpi hooked up:
rpi-> switch --100mbits/s--> fritzbox --1gbs/s--> switch --1gbs/s--> windows nfs
and bufferingproblems with the latest build for 1080 video

now:
rpi-> switch --1gbs/s--> windows nfs
and problems are gone
It happed with my htpc, that supports 1gbits/s, and xbmc 12.0 a month ago but didn't consider it for the rpi to be a problem too.
(2013-04-05, 07:25)PeaceMkr Wrote: @MilhouseVH Powerline is Wireless too, because the line is "only" the Antenna.. most of the people think the cable is for connection but thats not really true.
In my case the problem wasnt to get constant datarates for transfering. The problem was that the latency wasnt very good and i got lots of buffering while watching fullhd-movies. It didnt matter if streaming from the homeserver to a windowsmachine in the other room or to the raspberry or appletv..

LOL, no - how can it be wireless when it uses wires to conduct the signal? True enough, the mains wiring does act as an antenna - just ask radio hams - but that's an unfortunate side effect of its operation.

As for your problems with Powerline kit, how do you know you weren't getting a constant/stable connection? It sounds like your connection is likely to be suffering intermittent drop outs and losing data, the latency being a factor of that. Did you test your Powerline connection with something like iperf that will give you a more accurate idea of how the connection is working point to point? I'm interested to know how you came to the conclusion that latency is your problem, though really that discussion should go in a new thread.

Back on topic...
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
nice to know, other people had the same network troble.

my very old setup:
PC over Wlan to my Router and WlanRepater wired to my Pi= 600kb/s copy a file

then:
PC-wired to Repater and Router/Repater wlan to my pi = a pretty good 2,2 MB/s copy a file

now:
Fritz Router wlan to Repater and Pi and PC both connectet wired on Repater ,more then 5 MB/s, good enough to stream all my media, inclueded mkv 3D and live hd tv.

(this was hell, i also tryed out switching wlan channels and changing gateways to get better network preformences finaly i find an router i can use for repater that have more then one Lan socket)

sorry for my bad english
Good morning,
First I want to thank you rbej for your awesome build.
It just made my pi even better !

Only one little thing though, which I'm sure is my fault...
I cannot seem to make the GUI switch to 1080p correctly.

I can't locate the skin.confluence folder I am supposed to delete, either through SMB or directly on the pi through SSH.

I used my working sdcard image from OE3 (a couple days old, I didn't have time to play with it much yet) and followed the update procedure.

If anyone can confirm I did something wrong somewhere, that would be a start Tongue

Thanks,
DW
You add to advencedsettings <guires>1080</guires> and delete guisettings. Reboot Rpi.

Holy hell, that's gorgeous... !

Thank you very much for the quick reply rbej, I knew I was missing a little thing somewhere!

Your build got me this (|-|) close to be able to play all my high bitrate files, I'm pretty sure I'm limited by the usb/sdcard speed now.

Awesome work, but you knew that already Wink

DW
Good news.

OpenElec is now compatible with Xbmc master branch. Time to say goodbye Frodo and welcome to Gotham world.

(2013-04-08, 21:55)rbej Wrote: OpenElec is now compatible with Xbmc master branch. Time to say goodbye Frodo and welcome to Gotham world.

It is good news, but I'd suggest making Frodo builds in addition to master builds.
Your Frodo builds are pretty stable. The master builds will be a bit more of a gamble.
I haven't visited this thread in a long time, and i wanted to know if there is any recent workaround for DTS audio buffering? I'm using the latest openelec on a 512mb pi. In the past i tried overclocking and other suggestions, but they never worked that well.
  • 123(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi12