OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
(2013-01-23, 12:33)MilhouseVH Wrote: I don't know why people don't use their Pi to format and prepare their USB sticks - for example:

1. Boot the Pi from an SD card imaged with Raspbian
  2. Once the Pi has booted, connect with ssh (or type at the console using an attached USB keyboard) - username "pi", password "raspberry".
  3. Pop in your USB stick, it should be seen as /dev/sda (confirm with dmesg)
  4. Partition/format the USB memory stick using ext4 (see instructions below)
  5. Shutdown the Pi
  6. Reformat your SD card (or use another SD card - it doesn't have to be more than 100MB and they're dirt cheap!) with a single FAT partition and copy across the OpenELEC system files

I've been so scared by horror stories of the SD card slot breaking that I try to avoid removing the card as much as possible! Maybe it would be good if we could have a dual boot on a single SD card, to choose between OpenElec or Raspbian (or any trimmed down OS that will let us SSH in and format USB sticks, etc). I guess we'd need a USB keyboard plugged in to choose which to boot from but as we'd only need to occasionally boot into the other OS, plugging one in when we do shouldn't be a problem, with OpenElec auto-booting after, say 3s, otherwise.

Messages In This Thread
MythTV PVR: No Video - by hkramski - 2012-11-13, 20:32
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - by doveman2 - 2013-01-23, 13:26
Cumulative Small Skip forward ... - by xandy - 2013-02-03, 15:46
:00 - by Koloss - 2013-07-14, 12:09
RE: :00 - by popcornmix - 2013-07-14, 12:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi12