OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
(2013-02-27, 10:55)pplucky Wrote: Yesterday I was updating from a kernel with this feature already to a new one and I just did what you proposed: simply dropping the above mentioned files in the Update folder (my config.txt was not changed, meaning it had OC settings on)...but it didn't work out well.

After the first reboot (when the update is to be carried out), the update process took much longer than it normally does but it completed. When it restarted automatically, it was no longer possible to boot (stuck in colorful Pi startup screen). I took the SD card out, suspecting that SYSTEM partition had been corrupted (like it used to happen when updating with overclock on), but it wasn't... Still then, the Pi didn't boot at all.

I had to reinstall the SD card with the fresh install procedure (from the same rbej build image and then delete and recreate the STORAGE partition in SD card (I now use it to keep other files). After this, my Pi came back to life with everything updated...

Any clue of what may have happened or can I provide any insight to help figure this out? Or did I misunderstood the purpose of this patch?

So to be clear, did you have "iotimeout=5000" added to the end of your kernel parameters in cmdline.txt, when your update failed? By default the media check feature is disabled, so without adding this extra parameter the feature will not be operating.

From what you say it sounds like you experienced a classic case of the SD card not being correctly initialised, leading to corrupt boot files caused by the update. The long delay you experienced is what the "media check" is intended to detect (slow write performance due to mmc0 timeouts) so I'm surmising that you did not have the media check feature enabled when you performed your update.

Many thanks for the feedback, but for my own peace of mind it would be good if you can confirm if you had media check enabled or not. And at least I now know I'm not the only person with a system capable of causing this kind of boot file corruption, though it's not something that has been a problem for me since I created media check!. Smile

Note that in future should this happen again, you don't have to reinstall the SD card you only need to replace your kernel.img/bootcode.bin/fixup.dat/start.elf files in the FAT partition with uncorrupted versions.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Messages In This Thread
MythTV PVR: No Video - by hkramski - 2012-11-13, 20:32
Cumulative Small Skip forward ... - by xandy - 2013-02-03, 15:46
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - by Milhouse - 2013-02-27, 17:43
:00 - by Koloss - 2013-07-14, 12:09
RE: :00 - by popcornmix - 2013-07-14, 12:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi12