OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi
(2013-03-01, 14:46)spjonez Wrote: Does anyone know why the stock OE builds don't include a swap file? Rbej's builds run considerably smoother then the stock ones for me. I know the culprit is the Sabnzb-Suite addon, but since it's included in the OE repo I've often wondered why they chose not to enable it. With the stock build and stock Sab, my Pi (512mb) is stable but sluggish when it's processing files. With lsellen's updated Sab (working CouchPotato), it reboots if you try to play a file while it's downloading and processing (lowering GPU mem fixes the reboots). With rbej's last build with a swap enabled, top shows 3x more free memory and the UI is smooth even when Sab is doing it's thing. Are there any downsides to having a swap in setups where it's not really needed?

If swappiness is sufficiently low, then swapfile will not be touched unless you run out of memory (and would have crashed/rebooted).
So, with a low swappiness value, I believe it is safe (and correct) to enabled swap.

Looking at my openelec image:
Code:
cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

which is quite high. I'd bve interested if after running:
Code:
echo 1 >  /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

if your system still behaves well, as that should be a much safer (i.e. less sdcard writes) setting.

Messages In This Thread
MythTV PVR: No Video - by hkramski - 2012-11-13, 20:32
Cumulative Small Skip forward ... - by xandy - 2013-02-03, 15:46
RE: OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi - by popcornmix - 2013-03-01, 15:29
:00 - by Koloss - 2013-07-14, 12:09
RE: :00 - by popcornmix - 2013-07-14, 12:28
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi12