• 4(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
Looks good!!!

(2012-12-06, 05:04)spencers Wrote: Alright, I installed a 32GB Crucial M4 mSATA drive and a 4GB stick of Crucial DDR3 1600.

Now I've got Openelec Beta 3 2.95.3 Frodo (Intel build) installed. Works WONDERFULLY so far.

Playing a TV show (1280x720) right now and pressed 'o' to bring up the audio and video specs.
It's interesting to watch the CPU usage bounce around between the four cores!

I am very curious if we need GPU accelerated playback? Is the i3 fast enough for all 1080p media? Coming from the Asrock330 the NUC seems like a strong candidate for a hardware refresh. 299+100 (ssd-mem) seems like a no-brainer considering the form factor.

What about "perfect" 24p under Linux? Is it possible with the GPU from QS77 chipset?
(2012-12-06, 08:12)basher Wrote: What about "perfect" 24p under Linux? Is it possible with the GPU from QS77 chipset?

Let me know how I can test this. Shoot me a PM if you prefer.

As for 1080p media, I've been testing several more detailed 1080p movies and they all have been playing without a hiccup.
Looking good Spencers

Have you or can you test if it can stream Dolby True HD or DTS HD? if so how does it perform?
(2012-12-06, 10:52)Luvas uk Wrote: Looking good Spencers

Have you or can you test if it can stream Dolby True HD or DTS HD? if so how does it perform?

I don't have a receiver. It's just HDMI from the NUC to my television (Sharp Aquos Quattron).

Now if there's a way to test without a receiver let me know, as I'm sure I can easily get some Dolby True HD and DTS HD media.

In other news, I've mounted the NUC to the back of my television. The VESA mounts on my TV are probably 200x200, which doesn't work with the mount that came with the NUC (I presume 75x75 or 100x100). I improvised and used one of the screws that hold the back TV plastic to the rest of the TV. Works great, as I have an RF Boxee remote.

If somebody have one of this with Windows, I want to know how it handles bitstreaming HD audio and 1080P 3D playback without DXVA2 enable......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I got mine the other day..

Upgraded BIOS, installed windows 7 ultimate + all updates (drivers, windows update, etc), running xbmc 12 beta 2, running netflix..

BIOS power options / Rosewill Remote not yet tweaked.

Don't have HDMI pre-amp yet - TV only.
I have a few questions that would be great to get answers before I pull the trigger on one:

How does windows / linux run on it? How long does it take to boot up? How loud is it normally and with high load? What group does this box fall under (refering to the grouping set by eskro.. my guess is group 5 or 6)

I can't decide if I want to run windows or linux on it. I like windows because it will go great with all the other devices I have (might even try windows 8), but if linux works great on it, there is nothing that windows gives me that I need (i don't use netflix and if I did, I can use the ps3 / 360 for that).

The one thing that I do want (and not sure which OS would do it better) is the ability to run flash. Only reason is because I like using sites like twitch.tv and would love to not have to use the laptop for it anymore...

Thanks
(2012-12-06, 17:27)hamiltong Wrote: I got mine the other day..

Upgraded BIOS, installed windows 7 ultimate + all updates (drivers, windows update, etc), running xbmc 12 beta 2, running netflix..

BIOS power options / Rosewill Remote not yet tweaked.

Don't have HDMI pre-amp yet - TV only.
Can your TV do 3d? If it does, I'm interesting to know how well i3 3217U/HD4000 handle 1080p 3d video......there are plenty of 3d previews on Vudu and I listed it in this thread- What is your favorite 3D movie?......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Well got the Rc6 rosewill remote working- resumes from s5.
Bootracer indicates 5 secs to logon and 11.637 secs to desktop.
Can't hear fan unless you crank it up - there is a quiet setting in the bios.

Haven't done any tweaking to win 7 as of yet.

I don't have a 3d tv - Pioneer Kuro Elite currently.. Have a spanking new Panny 8000 projector sitting in a box (killing me thats its still in the box) which won't be installed til new year - basement Reno.

Edit - after some win 7 tweaking Bootracer now records "time to logon" as 4 sec and "time to desktop" as 10.122 sec Smile
Nice job!

After using mine more (openelec beta3 installed), I have noticed its overall more snappier than my old Acer Revo 1600.
The UI is much quicker. Boot time is extremely fast, especially after enabling the fast boot options in the BIOS.

Today I tested "the birds" 40mbit 1080p scene from Planet Earth. No stuttering or dropped frames AT ALL. Smooth as butter! Thoroughly impressed.

Not going to lie, I had my doubts before, during, and shortly after I purchased the NUC. I'm glad I made the decision to pick one up. It's small, low energy, very powerful, and quiet.
wonder if we can use the dual hdmi some of these have?
(2012-12-06, 08:12)basher Wrote: What about "perfect" 24p under Linux? Is it possible with the GPU from QS77 chipset?

If you mean 23.976, no Intel GPU can do it over HDMI. Assuming you need audio bitstreaming, you'll have to live with some dropped or repeated frames depending on how close to 23.976 it gets (could be as bad as every 42seconds if it only does 24.0).
FYI: I got an email this morning that the red NUC (DC3217BY) is available now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...56-102-001
(2012-12-07, 09:24)wizziwig Wrote:

If you mean 23.976, no Intel GPU can do it over HDMI. Assuming you need audio bitstreaming, you'll have to live with some dropped or repeated frames depending on how close to 23.976 it gets (could be as bad as every 42seconds if it only does 24.0).

Yes, that was my question. I don't think think my Asrock330 can produce 23.976 with the Nvidia ION GPU. From my understanding Nvidia produce output very close to 23.976. What is the relevance of bitstreaming in relation to 24p? How does it affect the framerate?

If the goal is to get perfect 23.976, does i matter if the video is rendered by CPU or GPU?
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24