• 159(current)
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)
(2015-08-25, 19:42)pmcd Wrote: I have both a FLIRC and an MCE receiver. Both work well but I far prefer the flirc. Far more flexible and small!

smaller yes, but differently flexible. The Flirc is simply a programmable IR->keyboard mapper. The problem is that it can't pass IR untouched, nor does the software give you the ability to see/manually adjust the IR->KB mapping. Everything is learned, so how well it works depends on a lot of factors which aren't readily apparent to the user, with no way to debug it.
I tried the Flirc dongle this morning with an old Harmony 510. Here is the post I made on the Flirc Forum a little earlier today:

I spent the morning programming my old Harmony 510. First I had to use the Harmony software to enable every key I intended to use, then I used the Flirc software to program the dongle. Seemed pretty easy. Now for the test. It works BUT the sensitivity / direction of pointing the remote are very, very, very poor. Also, I sometimes have to hit a button twice before the command is executed. I'm sick - this is not what I was hoping for. I tried my Intel NUC's front port, back port with extension cable and many, many different placements of the dongle. None produced usable results. My Harmony 510 works perfectly with both my Sony TV & Pioneer AVR. Both are very responsive to the remotes commands. The problem is the Flirc.

I printed an eBay Pre-Paid Return Shipping Label and put it in my mailbox.

Intel NUC DC53427HYE i5-3427U

OpenELEC 5.95.4
I received the HP MCE IR Remote today and I have to give it you Matt. Your suggestion was right on. Using the MS Media Center Extender profile, every button does the correct function. My Harmony 650 even shuts off the NUC along with the TV & AVR. It's quite impressive. I have only 1 key to program and I really need help doing it. The RED color button is assigned to PVR recording or something but I don't use it's function. Can this button be made to emulate a "G" keyboard press ?

What is the simplest way to do this ?
(2015-08-27, 22:34)blueribb Wrote: I received the HP MCE IR Remote today and I have to give it you Matt. Your suggestion was right on. Using the MS Media Center Extender profile, every button does the correct function. My Harmony 650 even shuts off the NUC along with the TV & AVR. It's quite impressive. I have only 1 key to program and I really need help doing it. The RED color button is assigned to PVR recording or something but I don't use it's function. Can this button be made to emulate a "G" keyboard press ?

what does G map to, function wise? Don't see if in the default keymap. Probably easiest just to download the Keymap Editor add-on (via Kodi) and then assign the red button to whatever function(s) you want
(2015-08-27, 23:11)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-27, 22:34)blueribb Wrote: I received the HP MCE IR Remote today and I have to give it you Matt. Your suggestion was right on. Using the MS Media Center Extender profile, every button does the correct function. My Harmony 650 even shuts off the NUC along with the TV & AVR. It's quite impressive. I have only 1 key to program and I really need help doing it. The RED color button is assigned to PVR recording or something but I don't use it's function. Can this button be made to emulate a "G" keyboard press ?

what does G map to, function wise? Don't see if in the default keymap. Probably easiest just to download the Keymap Editor add-on (via Kodi) and then assign the red button to whatever function(s) you want

I assigned "G" to bookmarks/chapters using a custom keymap.xml file. It looks like the RED button on both Harmony's emulate a "H" key (TV - Channels) which I have no use for. I'd like to switch the G & H functionality somehow. I know you're not supposed to mess with the keymap registry but maybe this would be a quick fix. I'm not sure I want to mess with the Keymap Editor unless it's super simple to master.
(2015-08-27, 23:21)blueribb Wrote: I assigned "G" to bookmarks/chapters using a custom keymap.xml file. It looks like the RED button on both Harmony's emulate a "H" key (TV - Channels) which I have no use for. I'd like to switch the G & H functionality somehow. I know you're not supposed to mess with the keymap registry but maybe this would be a quick fix. I'm not sure I want to mess with the Keymap Editor unless it's super simple to master.

you can't remap the keyboard keys, because with the MCE profile, the Harmony is sending RC6 IR codes, not keyboard codes. The keymap editor add-on is dead simple. You navigate thru categorized functions to the one you want (bookmarks/chapters), press edit, then press the red button the remote. Save/exit. No need to edit the XML directly unless the function you want isn't covered by the editor, but I believe most are.
(2015-08-27, 23:35)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-27, 23:21)blueribb Wrote: I assigned "G" to bookmarks/chapters using a custom keymap.xml file. It looks like the RED button on both Harmony's emulate a "H" key (TV - Channels) which I have no use for. I'd like to switch the G & H functionality somehow. I know you're not supposed to mess with the keymap registry but maybe this would be a quick fix. I'm not sure I want to mess with the Keymap Editor unless it's super simple to master.

you can't remap the keyboard keys, because with the MCE profile, the Harmony is sending RC6 IR codes, not keyboard codes. The keymap editor add-on is dead simple. You navigate thru categorized functions to the one you want (bookmarks/chapters), press edit, then press the red button the remote. Save/exit. No need to edit the XML directly unless the function you want isn't covered by the editor, but I believe most are.

Are you sure there's a bookmarks/chapters entry ? I found one called DVD Video Menu. Is that the one. I'm lost here since there so many choices within choices.
(2015-08-27, 23:48)blueribb Wrote: Are you sure there's a bookmarks/chapters entry ? I found one called DVD Video Menu. Is that the one. I'm lost here since there so many choices within choices.

no, I'm not. The other way is to add a copy of remote.xml in userdata and change <red>ActivateWindow(TVChannels)</red> to <red>videobookmarks</red> or whatever you mapped 'G' to, which is pretty trivial
(2015-08-27, 23:59)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2015-08-27, 23:48)blueribb Wrote: Are you sure there's a bookmarks/chapters entry ? I found one called DVD Video Menu. Is that the one. I'm lost here since there so many choices within choices.

no, I'm not. The other way is to add a copy of remote.xml in userdata and change <red>ActivateWindow(TVChannels)</red> to <red>videobookmarks</red> or whatever you mapped 'G' to, which is pretty trivial

I found it !
It took some digging but I found it here and it worked:

Edit / Global / Windows / Open Video Bookmarks

Edit / Send Code / Save

There were so many categories and choices, my head was spinning. Thanks a million Matt. I really appreciate your help.
(2015-08-28, 00:09)blueribb Wrote: I found it !
It took some digging but I found it here and it worked:

Edit / Global / Windows / Open Video Bookmarks

Edit / Send Code / Save

There were so many categories and choices, my head was spinning. Thanks a million Matt. I really appreciate your help.

glad you got it sorted without too much trouble Smile
Everything has been working great using my NUC, Harmony 650 remote and HP IR Receiver until recently. Before, I used to press the keys on the remote almost as fast as I like and Kodi would respond. Now I have to hold the buttons down a little longer before I get a response. The HP IR unit's red LED responds to very fast key presses but not Kodi. I wonder if the latest version of OpenELEC or Kodi affected the remote control's key press response timing. I remember reading that a "long press" option was being added or something like that.

Any ideas on getting back to the way it was before ?
Change the batteries :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-11-24, 22:53)fritsch Wrote: Change the batteries :-)

Thanks but I tried that. Maybe it's just me but Kodi seems a little more sluggish to remote control key presses.
I got an answer directly from Logitech about the lag that a lot of Harmony users experience. Here is their answer:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...-p/1462028
(2015-11-30, 17:03)blueribb Wrote: I got an answer directly from Logitech about the lag that a lot of Harmony users experience. Here is their answer:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmony-Re...-p/1462028

I haven't got the Logitech software installed, so I can't check it right now, but changing the delay does help (a bit). You'll never get keyboard-like response, but it is acceptable once you change the delay settings.
CoreElec on a tn95 (s905x). Onkyo NR-656. Canton Movie CD-1000. LG 55B6V.

If it ain't broke: break it, fix it, repeat
  • 159(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Ivy Bridge (3rd Generation CPU)24