SMBup on Mountain Lion
Thank you for your help. New problem has surfaced and will do a new topic on this Smile
AFP (wiki)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I don't quite see the connection between that link and my particular problem? Am I missing something?

I have tried both SMB and NFS, both does not work at all on my Mountain Lion.. I just setup AFP through zeroconf and everything works except for this subtitle problem.
What we're saying is the AFP client in XBMC is currently unstable and the library we use for it has been abandoned by its original developer, so we can't really get bug fixes for it. A replacement library would be a better bet than trying to repair the current one. This instability is a likely explanation for the issue you are having.

I would try using SMBUp (wiki) to re-enable SMB compatibility on Mountain Lion.
Ok.

I have tried SMB, but that I have not had a chance of getting up and running. I installed SMBup, which installed Samba, but all I get is "Error starting the service" when trying to enable samba.. I tried basically everything..

NFS is also not working on my machine. Sad
Odd, SMBUp should work on ML. Perhaps SMB in Mac OS X has to be turned off first? Maybe try contacting the author of SMBUp and seeing why it's not working for you. Seems the best way to contact him is via twitter (could not find an e-mail address on his website) at https://twitter.com/SMBUp Other than NFS, SMBUp is one of the recommended solutions for Lion and Mountain Lion users to get file servers working again for XBMC.

You can also try MediaMaster Server (wiki), though it isn't as "elegant" and doesn't support multiple share points, it still works very nicely and is really easy to use.
NFS will work if you configure it right. See the NFS wiki link in my signature. Basically you are missing the "-n" switch in the plist mentioned there for sure.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2012-09-17, 10:56)Ned Scott Wrote: Odd, SMBUp should work on ML. Perhaps SMB in Mac OS X has to be turned off first? Maybe try contacting the author of SMBUp and seeing why it's not working for you. Seems the best way to contact him is via twitter (could not find an e-mail address on his website) at https://twitter.com/SMBUp Other than NFS, SMBUp is one of the recommended solutions for Lion and Mountain Lion users to get file servers working again for XBMC.

You can also try MediaMaster Server (wiki), though it isn't as "elegant" and doesn't support multiple share points, it still works very nicely and is really easy to use.

Hello, SMBUp author here (email address available on "contact" part of the site and both on my and @smbup twitter accounts).

I don't remember having been asked but will reply here in case the question comes up:

SMBUp indeed disables Apple's SMB implementation (and netbios service) because it's incompatible with Samba and conflicts with it (the program gives this warning upon startup). Sadly it's pretty easy for the user to accidentally re-enable it afterwards. The option to "reset config files" in SMBUp should fix things up but it's not a bad idea to make sure the SMB Windows File Sharing service is off in system preferences before doing this.

SMBUp works the same in all versions of 10.7 and 10.8 so far (I assume it'll keep working as long as Samba itself from Macports does, as that's the basis for SMBUp's Samba installation).
@ipnd,

Why did you remove your original problem report in your first post? Did SMBUp, in conjunction with eduo's instructions, resolve your original problem? If so, wouldn't leaving this thread alive be of potential help to someone else in the future (especially eduo's heads-up about accidentally re-enabling SMB)?

If none of this thread is of any value, then I'll go ahead and delete as you'd requested in your thread title change. On the other hand, if you want to keep this thread, I can restore your original text from the change history... but you'll have to redo the title.
@eduo

Awesome information, and thank you VERY much for SMBUp!
@eduo for some reason I am unable to manage users in my SMBup. When I go to manage users and select my username, and type in a password, and click add user, nothing ever happens. I am also (perhaps because of the user issue?) unable to ever start SMB. I have tried it with SMB enabled and with it disabled in my system preferences. I feel like I'm doing something wrong here...
I am having a similar problem on ML 10.8.2 with Server App.
Have made sure that built in SMBx? via Server App and Preference are both off.
Cannot START Samba services via SMBup (Start button grey) or via menu option.
Also can't add users as described in previous post.
Only odd item on the system might be Paragon NTFS for Mac Pref Pane.
Frustrated
Anthony
can't connect to smb one.

log out:
set_maxfiles: setrlimit for RLIMIT_NOFILE for 16404 files failed with error Invalid argument
standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
waiting for a connection

and the end.

left with carbon copy cloner.
Why not use NFS? It's better than SMB anyway Wink
Or use the latest nightly. SMB access for lion and later should be fixed there.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SMBup on Mountain Lion0