My dated pc fast enough for HTPC?
Hello!,

I was reading about xbmc and i love how smooth it works compared to those buggy media players so i wanna turn my old pc into a HTPC!
Cause this pc is dated i am wondering if i can play 1080p movies and run windows 7 with xbmc.

Specs

Q8200 (quad 2.3Ghz)
4GB DDR2 800
Ati HD 4650

I want to buy the HD 4650 cause it has a HDMI port , i won't settle for Anything les then HDMI.
I also dont mind putting in more RAM.
Also i am planning to run windows on a SSD and control de HTPC with logitec dinovo mini.

Is it worth investing money/time in system?

Thx in advance! Smile
Q8200+HD6570= Big Grin

or

Q8200+GT430= Big Grin
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hmm are those agp ? :< mobo is old....
(2012-09-18, 02:35)demigod123 Wrote: Hello!,

I was reading about xbmc and i love how smooth it works compared to those buggy media players so i wanna turn my old pc into a HTPC!
Cause this pc is dated i am wondering if i can play 1080p movies and run windows 7 with xbmc.

Specs

Q8200 (quad 2.3Ghz)
4GB DDR2 800
Ati HD 4650

IMHO, you're good to go... My htpc/server is a Celeron E1400 / 2GB DDR2 800 / HD4350, and I play 1080p movies just fine, with decent headroom.

Heck, my bedroom's htpc is my old server, a P4 2.40 / 512Mb DDR1 / Geforce 4 440 MX (how's that for dated? Tongue ), running XBMC/Linux TV-out to my CRT TV, and even this plays 720p videos if need be. Granted, the performance is borderline, with 1/2 frames dropped per second, but it's barely noticeable.

Haha okay awsome! i should be in the clear then Smile
Another way to find out,....install XBMC and test it out. You might be pleasantly surprised.
I only say that since I also had an "old" workstation,..and wasn't sure if the garbage man would take it.
It turns out,..XBMC ran just fine on that machine. Certainly not a top performer,..but still it worked.
demigod123:
I appologize, but figured since my question was similar, perhaps it would be alright to post it in your thread. Please let me know if it is not and I will take it down.

Q: I too have a similarly "dated" cpu. I was debating whether I should purchase a mobo and a few other items for it. I know some will say "just try it out" but I do not have a mobo to spare at the moment so I am unable to:

MicroATX $49.99
Asus Motherboard P5G41T-M LX3
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Motherboard-P...ci+express

CPU: core2duo e6400 2.1gHz
(I already have this and am not using it yet)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115004

Ram:
4gb ddr3 1600
(I already have this and assume it will just be underclocked to 1066)

or whether it would make sense to invest in some newer hardware and build something like eskro builds that used
celeron g530 2.4
Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 ITX

I would like to stream 1080p video any maybe play some roms. I also was debating about using some of the hdd space for NAS.

Not sure about power requirements for this build, probably would go with a 400W if I put 3-4 drives in it.
(2012-09-18, 21:11)scales11 Wrote: CPU: core2duo e6400 2.1gHz
(I already have this and am not using it yet)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819115004

Ram:
4gb ddr3 1600
(I already have this and assume it will just be underclocked to 1066)
I have a similar old E7200 PC. After I added HD6570 discrete GPU (as I suggested in post #2), it can playback and handles bluray 1080P video and bitstreaming HD audio as well as my i5......

Thanks bluray, thats good to know. I think that using my old cpu and grabbing a new mobo and vid card will be the best choice.
(2012-09-18, 22:16)scales11 Wrote: Thanks bluray, thats good to know. I think that using my old cpu and grabbing a new mobo and vid card will be the best choice.
The existing mobo should be fine.....just throw HD6570 in there, and you are done....
bluray: I actually only have the cpu. I need to buy the mobo, vid card, psu,
(2012-09-19, 04:48)scales11 Wrote: bluray: I actually only have the cpu. I need to buy the mobo, vid card, psu,
Ok...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My dated pc fast enough for HTPC?0